It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Event Horizon Telescope ready to image Our black hole

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Major Announcement Coming

Finally! 1st results of Event Horizon Telescope #EHT will be presented at press conferences April 10, 13:00 UT in Brussels and Washington & in peer reviewed papers. I will be in Brussels with great colleagues & panel. Keep you updated here. www.eso.org... … @ERC_Research

Twitter, Heino Falcke, @hfalcke

Next week! It has been a long wait but what will we see?

Squee!

I don't get it. Why wait 8 more days to release something you already have? Just effing release it. It's been 2 years. RELEASE IT NOW.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

I think they are doing a "NASA-style release" where they do a pre-release teaser... kind of what Apple does, you know, "Apple brought you the Mac in 1984... prepare for the next evolution in computing..."

Plus I think it has to do with publication. That is the date their data gets published in a peer reviewed journal (my guess).

It is kind of silly. I like when that one guy tweeted about the neutron star merger before they announced it.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Thanks for the update TEOT.

Looking forward to seeing what they have to show.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Rock on, mate!

Glad you have kept track of this!

A few days is not that much to wait!!

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:55 PM
link   
As always someone else comes along and tries to steal someone else’s glory...

Either way it will be cool to see what the chaos looks like!

We “saw” two neutron stars collide last year and this should be on par as being as significant.

I said last year we are the verge of a new astronomical revolution with the technology that we have coming on line.

I got one think that taking a “photo” of a quantum object is still amazing!!!

edit on 9-4-2019 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: half my text was not posted! wth!

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 05:22 AM
link   
In a little under 3 hours the Event Horizon Telescope press conference will begin and we will be treated to the first ever close up image of our own Super Massive Black Hole , Sagittarius A*... exciting times.

Here for anyone interested is a live stream of the event.

Today we peer into the unknown.

edit on 10-4-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 05:33 AM
link   

I'm glad I only came across this news today - means I didn't have to suffer the long wait!

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I am ready :-D

EDIT: This is the one in Washington if anyone have problems with the link gortex supplied above.

National Science Foundation Live Stream

They will kick off simultaneously, supposedly.
edit on 10-4-2019 by beetee because: Added link to National Science Foundation press conference in Washington

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   
"Science will be divided between time before the image and time after the image"

Here is the image , the first image of a black hole , this one sits at the heart of galaxy M87 , the Black Hole is 6.5 billion times more massive than our Sun.

"We have achieved something presumed to be impossible just a generation ago," concluded Doeleman. "Breakthroughs in technology, connections between the world's best radio observatories, and innovative algorithms all came together to open an entirely new window on black holes and the event horizon."
eventhorizontelescope.org...

Sagittarius A* to follow.
edit on 10-4-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Came here to post this!

They have concluded it is not a "wormhole". LOL

I have been anticipating this for a long time and am excited to see the images as the days progress.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   

The more mass, the bigger the hole.

At the same scale of compression, Earth would fit inside a thimble. The Sun would measure a mere six kilometres edge-to-edge.

A successful outcome depended in part on the vagaries of weather during the April 2017 observation period.

"For everything to work, we needed to have clear visibility at every [telescope] location worldwide", said IRAM scientist Pablo Torne, recalling collective tension, fatigue and, finally, relief.

The unprecedented image—so often imagined in science and science fiction —- has been analysed in six studies co-authored by 200 experts from 60-odd institutions and published Wednesday in Astrophysical Journal Letters.

phys.org - Astronomers deliver first photo of black hole.

RE: Bolded sentence... truer words were never spoken!!

I like that it was team effort verified by four teams resulting in six papers. And that the journal made a special publication just for those papers!

There are going to be awards spread around for this!

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 01:32 AM
link   

I didn't quite undesrtand the Saggitarius bit. They imaged both at the same time, right, so are they working on publishing this as well or is that in the same papers (which I admit I haven't looked at)?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join