It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Girls Funny?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:20 AM
link   
This is the question relentlessly pursued within South Park's latest season as the alter-ego of Trey Parker - speaking through the character of Cartman - avers, and then sarcastically disavows, that "girls aren't funny".

If this is true - and it partly is - why does the feeling emerge in people?

The simple, scientific explanation for this phenomenon is simple: men and women experience different levels of social-confidence.

The above photo shows important mid-brain and forebrain sections (which are named) in addition to (unnamed) area beneath the red area which is called the brainstem. Since the brain is a structure that has evolved by adding structure and regulatory function upon lower structure/functions, we need to see the brain as a hierarchy of regulatory systems, beginning at the most basic level - the metabolic regulation of bodily homeostasis - to the social level and symbolic level.

This reality - which is not understood or recognized by the majority of living Humans today - means that any perturbation or disturbance in your normal daily routines will be generate what will be felt as 'negative'. Thus, when I wake up, I register the desire to pee - my brain-mind and sense of agency then becomes recruited in the process of caring out this management of metabolic processes.

I think go down - my body is animated by the feeling of hunger; another routine - another recurring metabolic activity. All of this is brainstem controlled and brainstem compelled. In other words, all things being equal, the tendencies of the brainstem entirely contradict the tendencies of the higher cortical areas evolved in Human beings.

Say you get insufficient sleep. What happens in your brain when this happens? Multiple brainstem areas like the reticular activating system and the vagal complex will bias energy flow towards the body to compensate for the dysregulation of the forebrain which occurs as a function of not getting sufficient rest. Sleep has been associated with the cleaning of the synaptic space by astrocytes and microglia which helps reconfigure brain-dynamics to operate at optimal levels. When we don't get enough sleep, what we experience, than, is a sub-optimal flow of energy through our frontal cortex. Because of this, our frontal cortex cannot carry out its usual unconscious regulation of affective states. Think about it. When we don't get enough sleep, our threshold for irritation lowers. Were also less "connected" to the world around us - in a daze, body alive - giving priority to keeping its many lower systems working as they need to to keep the organism alive - whereas the conscious self experiences its being mostly as an "epiphenomenon" of it's brain activity. Agency - or the Self which acts - is not very present.

The "vagal complex" - a dorsal (outer) part of the brain which ennervates and controls the sinoatrial node of the heart (and so heart beat as well as breath) is directly connected to areas like the 'bed nucleus of the stria terminalis', where bodily reactivity responses seem to originate from - as well as the amygdala (which records threat) and the ventral and dorsal striatum, which initiates and automates our usual ways of doing things in the world.

Why Girls are Thought to Be "Unfunny"

It really is not about girls being unfunny so much as guys being unreflective, aggressive, shaming and traumatizing presences for the mind-brain of females. Again - our neural matter records the cues-signals that derive from certain bodies, and 'pressures us" into a particular way of self-organizing.

What does this look like? First, many females are funny (for me); people such as Amy Schumer, Melissa McCarthy, Kate Mckinnon and Kristen Wiig have all made me laugh in the past. The issue isn't whether this is a non-occurring phenomenon, but what inspires the thought "girls aren't funny", which is a pretty popular notion, and the relational processes Humans enact between one another.

The answer to this non-riddle is that females are more sensitive than males are to behavioral cues of others. Their brains are more interconnected - which literally means they are more 'integrated' i.e. with the left brain, or linguistic self, having a sense, or name, or term, for what is felt in the right hemisphere. Thus, the left hemisphere is like Russian doll, embedded in the dynamics of the right-hemisphere, which presents a feeling world of body and environment to which the linear self will search for coherent cause-effect relations.

We must resist a "reified" ontology i.e. we must recognize that what were seeing today - with these new comediennes - is a function of a more tolerant, nurturing, and relaxed society. It must be known that in places of terror - and trauma - females are not 'funny' - their bodies make them far too terrified for that - and for very good reason. All strength becomes lateralized to masculine traits (assertiveness, authoritarianism, delusional stubborness) and all weakness moves to feminine traits.

Thus, to be 'short', is to be weak - because woman are weak as well as short(er) than men, shortness and femininity are 'aligned traits'. Likewise, masculinity, strength, and height, are mutually implicated traits.

These metaphorical constructs are built into the nature of our experience - and it has absolutely everything to do with whether or not we ask ourselves the question: "would I want someone doing that to me". Females are always forced to reflect by being structured by evolutionary dynamics to nurture their young. Their affective openness entails a reflective reconstruction of the other parties point of view - and so providing them with a deep phenomenological connection to the Other.

And yet look at the society we still live within: most women, even the few funny ones, are being dysmorphed to fit the image of the male. Lilith - an appropriate symbol for this, is a symbol for lust - which undermines reason and, therefore, reflects males objectification of the Female.

Few things sicken me more than naive feminists who wear this image of lilith as if were a true feminist construct i.e. actually emanated from the true female valuations. These ideas emerge from outside science, and so are arbitrary fantasies without a shred of reality to them: they've been demented into servants of the dark side - the masculinistic and chauvinistic vanity of living a life without awareness of your ontological dependence on the Other.

So, females are funny - but only if males calm-the-f-uck-down and let them experience the joy of being funny. For those of you who oppose this thesis - I don't even think its opposable: it is a simple derivative of understanding neurological evolution, the discursive and material nature of Humn evolution, and the way and manner authoritarianism i.e. a male trait, undermines the psychic development of Human beings.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Astrocyte

Clicked knowing this alluded to South Park.

TL; DR all of it. Skimmed.

We're all aspiring comedians, but none of us are really all that funny.

Good night.

edit on 5-2-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Well I have met some hilarious people my whole life. Men and Women.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   
It is funny to you if it makes you laugh.
Sometimes things are really that simple.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   
It is funny to you if it makes you laugh.
Sometimes things are really that simple.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   

edit on 2 050905 1717 by WUNK22 because: Double post

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   
No,no there not funny and very sexist to imply they are. Where is the voice of Madona to save the day!

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   

I read the title and thought, what a vague and simple question to ask about such a complex subject. Clicking on it I'll admit I thought I was going to get something totally different and I was ready to make fun of some women but got owned. I was overwhelmed rather quickly and my brain was having a hard time keeping up.

I think what I'm trying to say is I need to sleep lol. I'll read this tomorrow. Good night

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Funny you ask that.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Yeah, but have you met my girlfriend?

She's so smart, and funny.

Funny is in the minds eye. I listen to a lot of stand up comedy, and fund that I really enjoy much of the less well known comics.... But at the same time, I fund the really well known ones are also a hoot, even when they get political and have assinine rich white city dweller views on the world

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Funny i was just thinking that.

XL5

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   
As I started to read, I thought, well, if the 2016 ghostbusters cast is anything to go by, then no, females are not funny. Then you list many actresses from the ghostbusters remake.

There are funny women out there but it seems only men can force humour. some women can but many times can not. Maybe there are not enough women who pursue humour so that when one does show up, they are allowed to be bad.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   
You guys must live in a bubble.

Without a sense of humor, i'd probably drop dead right now from complete and total discontent.

Humor keeps you going, so yes, there are girls who actually do have humor.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Wouldn't the same subject matter parallel the sense of humor? Wouldn't perception of humor be handled by roughly the same constructs that project them? Your piece didnt seem to get into perception of humor.

In any case, the sorts of people that fall into the Third Wave Feminist mindset tend to prove themselves to having no sense of humor at all. Perhaps something is being wired up wrong in these kids today?

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 03:21 AM
link   

I love Christopher Hitchens' argument on the subject in an Infamous essay he wrote on the subject years ago. There was an uproar among female comedians.

In Summary, Men, who are generally unattractive, need to be funny in order to attract a mate. Women do not need to as they have other tricks up their sleeve. An evolutionary argument.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

What? But Humor is sooooo much fun! My Grandfather who was born in the Midlands was the funniest down to earth man. I couldn't imagine not having any! And he was a real looker my Grandad was! Fought in two world wars, and Lived in Egypt for 6 during WW2.

Humor may even be genetic to some extent!

eta: That was interesting I admit i hadn't watched it before i posted.
I like them all tina fey is hillarious with amy poeler. And those two women from England i can't bloody remember their names now. lol. and Ugh let me add, this guys butch comment is wayyyyyyyyy off. I think it's the type of comedy now as apposed to old school. I'm old school not this new one. But i still find it humorous minus the Liberal push. They always ruin everything don't they?

hang on, did he say the male intellect is more evolved? lol

Ok I'm writing as i'm watching this. I disagree. I think if you can't laugh at yourself, you're probably one of the most miserable people on the planet!

Ok i'm done because i just don't care lol.
edit on 5-2-2017 by LuXTeN because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Most comedy is a skewed form of personal experience, whether it's Bill Hicks talking about a rubbish boss or Dave Allan talking about religion, it comes from something you share with an audience that can empathise with you.

Maybe female comics who don't have a huge male following lack that particular link with men.
It doesn't mean they aren't funny, it just means the "joke" isn't universal.

I'm not anti female comedians at all, I love listening to Jo Brand, I think she is great, but a lot of female comedians leave me cold in the same way that a lot of men like Ben Elton do also.

I think comedy is, to a large degree, is in the ear of the beholder.
edit on 16pSun, 05 Feb 2017 03:38:16 -060020172017-02-05T03:38:16-06:00kAmerica/Chicago28000000k by SprocketUK because: spelling

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Carol Burnett, Vicki Lawrence, Erma Bombeck, Betty White, Lily Tomlin, Lucille Ball, Gilda Radner, Goldie Hawn are all epic queens of comedy.

Burnett and Bombeck especially helped me to see comedy as a direction in my life I wanted to embrace. Their work showed me the lighter side of life and I can't imagine losing that. Incredibly talented ladies with whom my admiration knows no limit.

For a more modern selection:

Kaitlin Olson, Jennifer Saunders, Joanna Lumley, Julia Sawalha, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Kristen Schaal, Margaret Cho, Sarah Silverman, Amy Schumer, Alex Borstein, Nicole Sullivan, Rebel Wilson, Debra Wilson, Shelly Long, Mo Collins, Kristen Wiig, Molly Shannon, Katie Willert, Jennifer Elise Cox, Jan Hooks, Felicia Day have all made me smile and laugh a great deal in my life.
I consider every single one of them to be incredibly hilarious and successful at their work. Again, they have enriched my life with humor and I thank them all for that.

I don't care how I might disagree with their political or societal views. I don't care if the world hates them. I wouldn't care if one or all of them suddenly decided to do really bad things. I will always appreciate how they did their jobs well and made/make me laugh and watch them again.

So yes, women are very funny.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   

So, females are funny - but only if males calm-the-f-uck-down and let them experience the joy of being funny.

I got to say, I watch South Park, and I did not know that what they were refering to was a "thing".

My wife and my sister are two of the funniest people I know. We make fun of everyone we don't like and laugh alot when we are all together. Maybe we all just have the same weird sense of humor. Some of the funnest times I can remember were hanging around a bunch of middle aged women drinking wine and playing cards on a friday night. Most of the nastiest make you blush jokes I've heard, I've heard them from women.

And I was a soldier for eight years.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
The cute type of highly feminine women are the most funny when they are not trying to be. Which makes them even cuter to my perception, especially when my amusement and laughter at their indignation sends them into a behaviour feedback loop.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join