It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In need of some life suggestions. Anyone welcome.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:38 AM
link   
You want some advice?

Leave while you still can.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I would try various things. I tell freshmen in college to not worry if they don't have a major. I tell them to just sign up for different classes of anything that interests them. When you find a textbook you enjoy reading because you like the subject, not because you have to, then go that direction. Mine ended up being astronomy. (and English, foreign languages, and chemistry were near impossible for me)
Another thing I tell young men is that if they find themselves thinking about a subject more than sex, there is a direction to go.
When you are so into something, you will end up working harder at it, but it won't feel like work to you as it will other people. Since you are naturally working harder at it, success will come.
Oh, if you can find a career counselor who knows how to use the "What Color is your Parachute" book, I would highly recommend it. What did my most satisfying career turn out to be after 7 years of college at international universities? A taxi driver. Ha!

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I know the feeling, I remember it when I was young.

Funny, later, I realized I had lots of desires, passions and interests, that I just hadn't been ....connecting to when I was young.

I didn't know what I wanted exactly, nothing got my motor going. I actually had trouble thinking only of myself and my desires. Becoming a parent got me going - it gave me something to act for. I came to the conclusion I just was not wired to be totally self centered ... I need to be including others happiness or well being too, in order to act with any gusto.

Having been raised in an era where the popular thought was letting kids grow without having expectations projected upon them, so that they "follow their own individual dreams",
I came to the conclusion that having your parents or caretakers direct and mold you when young might not be such a bad thing - the parent who projects their own unfulfilled dreams upon you gives at least that "other person" to think about and motivate you. It also provides a template on how to go about achieving and building something of yourself.

Then it provides a mold to break out of and revolt against too, like a cocoon, when that is approprate.
Sometimes you start out finding what you want by determining what you don't want.

After I experienced living and acting for others (as a parent and spouse) I then found myself able to be self centered and suddenly in touch with my very own passions and desires, that were just barely under the surface before.

But I suspect that being a young adult, it is maybe wired into us to be more motivated by acting for others than ourself. It is when our bodies are best suited to procreating, doing physical work, and being a potential physical force for our community and our society.

Some people get through stage by giving up on trying to find their goals, and instead focusing on service to others - do volunteer work in a poor country or something. Sometimes changing your focus for a while, has the effect of bringing what you were looking for better in view.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

You are rural. Would growing fruits abd vegetables interest you?
Not the bland ones in the grocery stores.
The flavorful, non-standard heirloom varieties. The ones that don't mesh with factory farming methods.

Celery for instance... Not just a mild pale green stalky thing. Some varieties are colorful. Some are more leafy. Almost all are more flavorful than what you find in the store.

Good luck to you!

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Hmm lacking achievement; is this something you often have helped others with? In an encouraging manner perhaps... seems you have the drive and motivation, so what is it you really give or help others with and seem to always be lacking in? Whatever that is... investigate it throughly; and perhaps you will see that is what you are over flowing with so no one has ever seen a reason to supply you with it.

After some investigation; it may become aparent that others have; but being so used to giving it? Hard or difficult to recognize that others have given it; because you already give it as soon as you get it... sort of like a switch powering something always on like a live wire... right on in and right on out; when you need that energy... but that is your purpose whatever that is, so directing or channeling it properly will open that door.

Such a thing once figured out? How can you run out of it... just over flowing with it. Such an investigation not only helps one find their "purpose"? it is the road to self actualization in putting that natural energy flow into the proper channel or direction. Also a great fulfillment arises from doing such.

Often we are handed a purpose expected to accept a purpose not one's own; then what occurs? We go on to feel unfulfilled trying to find that self driven purpose or mechanism... well when that key finally fits the lock and it becomes channeled into where it belongs? The entire world opens before you.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope

I do like magnets... water, pipes, experiments and such. Though I have not done many.

You can check out if there are any maker/hackerspaces near you. Generally, you pay some sort of monthly fee to gain access to a lot of tools, minds, and a community.

Depending on how rural you are, you might have to compromise a bit or start something in your area. You can try out a bunch of things until something sticks. What ends up pulling us in isn't always what we think it will be.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to try to involve your kid too. For many activities, something can be found for all ages.

Just try out everything you can, and get involved in their respective communities (if that's your thing). Along the way, you can do the whole "find yourself" thing.

What's stopping you from building an experiment this very week? It doesn't need to be revolutionary for humanity to create a revelation for yourself.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

I don't know that it exists.

I'm okay with computers.

I can build one from individual components, I can figure many problems out, set up a basic network, I know a little bit of C# and _javascript - Enough for the most basic of programs/websites.

Not really the go-to person, though. Just a millenial with parents/grandparents who didn't grow up with such technology.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

While I was going to college I would go do in home computer repair service for people; it was a 20 here and 20 there, as I wasn't intending to do that, it was just word of mouth... oh I know someone that can fix the hell out of your computer and they would call me and say hey know someone that needs a computer fixed do you have the time? Sure.

Of course my suggestion is if you under take such a thing; as not word of mouth? Make a business plan. List out all the things you would require to do the job, you want to do, don't forget the little things like pepper spray or mace for self protection if asked to go to someone's home as a precaution... preditory is as preditory does. The tools required etc. you can either save and piece meal the tools together; or ask a bank for a loan taking your business plan to them, setting up a business account and then some name to register I suggest an IIC. So if you ever get sued then they cannot go directly after your personal finances, and secondly, pay yourself as an employee and never ever use your business account as a personal one... it will not succeed it will also cause you tax nightmares like if you buy a vehicle and use it as personal the tax recipts for gas etc can be seen as fraud if not using it strictly for business use, so make sure to keep good books and separate such recipts of personal and business. Growth and success of a small business depends on it... eventually you can branch out employees, remember too that friends and family are typically bad choices for hires, as it becomes a conflict of interest and emotional when work should be kept as strictly work.

So there's some food for thought...

p.s. a jump drive to boost RAM is suggested to avoid sitting there twiddling the thumbs waiting for an install if doing a flat rate fee. I would also suggest any component repair be done as things expand, like a lil shop/storage facitity office space or whatever... not in/at house, to be able to keep home and work life separate.

Hope this helps.

edit on 4-2-2017 by BigBrotherDarkness because: sp.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join