It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In need of some life suggestions. Anyone welcome.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I've tried reading a lot of self-help books, different articles, books, blog posts about motivation. I've read what entrepreneurs have to say, philosophers, and a whole lot of stuff - But all of this advice is pointless when it comes to one area in my life - Achievement.

I do not, for the life of me, know what I want to achieve.

To wish to financial freedom and success is simply a wish.. to attain it, you need to work.

And I'm not unwilling to work, I just don't know what I want to do.

I have no passions, no hobbies, I have a lot of interests but I dive deeper into something and it's not my thing. Commitment issues? Maybe. But I figure we should all have a passion? Or maybe not. Or perhaps not a passion that can make money?

Anyways. What do you think?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

I know that feeling. When I hit 25 years old, I had what I can best describe as a crisis.
I questioned what I was doing with my life, where do I see myself in x years..etc

After being in a slump for a bit, I realized that it's not just going to fall in my lap.
So I started a new career, got married and had kids.
Then I turned my hobby into a business.
Since then I haven't had to work a day yet

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Option overload is definitely a thing. There are multiple different assessment tools that can be found online to steer you in the right direction. How about working for a temp service? Try your hand and a few different things. Perhaps volunteering for the same effect.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Yeah, I'm 26.

Happily married with one daughter.

But I don't have a hobby, and can't figure it out.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I'll have to try the assessment tools - I really dislike working for someone else in general, so I'm not sure a temp thing would work very well. I work in an okay place now, and will likely stay here unless I become my own manager one day.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Do you play video games?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Just ask yourself this one question. It might not make any sense at first but just ask it.

Is it useful?

Apply it to everything in your life.

Is it useful.

But my advice to add to it is simple. If it isn't making you money, then why the * are you doing it?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Yup. Even started creating one in Unity - Just an incremental/business tycoon type game.

But, I'm not interested in being an artist, I'm not interested in animation, I'm not interested in graphic design.

Not interested doesn't always mean not willing, but I'd prefer to enjoy something, even if it takes a lot of work, then the enjoyment is after years of hard work - Anything art related is not those things. At least not in my current frame of mind.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: GiulXainx

Did this post make you money?

There's lot's of things we do for entertainment.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

It didn't make me any money, but someone asked for advice. And honestly... if I set up a shop called "parallel remedies" and sold advice.... no one would enter it because they are used to it being "free."

But if my post helped someone, then maybe it might lead me down a hill to a gold treasure. You never know when you will find treasure.

edit on 232017 by GiulXainx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: GiulXainx

I've posted a fair bit here on ATS, sometimes I wonder if I could blog. I definitely write some controversial stuff sometimes, and definitely choose sides and just say things that often enough appeal ( according to stars/flags ) to others.

But... To maintain a blog, get enough people to follow me, somehow sell something off such a blog..... Who knows.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
One day I figured I needed a hobby.
I thought to myself, what is something that is challenging and will be rewarding?
So I went to a hobby shop to look around and seen an RC helicopter. P owner told me a bit about it, how it was an advanced flyer and what not. He said get this one, it's simple yet you can do a lot with it via different flying modes.
Bought it, flew it on basic, got the hang of it, bumped it up to the second setting, then eventually advanced. I crashed and broke it. I went back to the shop to see if the guy could show me how to fix it.
He grabbed a part off the shelf, told me how to replace it and sent me on my way.

I took it apart, fixed the part. Tested it out and it flew again.
I thought, wow I fixed it.
Then I took the entire heli apart and rebuilt it.
I learnt that the parts were upgradable. Then I was hooked.
Started building me own Frankenstein birds and loved it.
Crashed A LOT and spent a good chunk of cash. But it was worth every cent.
I learnt how they worked, what made them work and what didn't.
It became a lifestyle surprisingly lol.

Now, I have my own UAV inspection business.
And Couldn't be happier.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Point is, even if your doing something just for the heck of it or to kill time.
If you create a passion for what your doin, that passion can bring the answers to what your looking for.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I do need to find a hobby shop. I live 100 miles from the nearest Walmart, though, and likely hundreds more from anything like that. Amazon is great, but not as... doesn't have the atmosphere, and the condensed version.

I do like magnets... water, pipes, experiments and such. Though I have not done many.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I understand you are 26. May I ask what country or location you're residing in. I'm 59, live on the east coastal area of Australia.

I find my family, wife and kids are motivation enough for me even to do things that I may not like personally. I try to be good at whatever I take on regardless of the monotony of the task.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: bally001

USA, Utah - Rural.

I don't mind doing things I don't like, but my ability to do things I do not enjoy... I don't know, if my heart isn't in it, I don't feel it, I don't get involved and dive deep and learn and grow.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Experimenting can be fun. Or trying to improve an existing object.

Wood working can be really rewarding.
There's a bit of a financial investment. But you can EASILY make that back after one project

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
welcome to the club man.
im happily married with a daughter too.

i read and play a few instruments.....no big...

other than that i just settled in for the long grind.
i just switched to 3rdf shift. a little more money for a lot less work. work all night while the fam is sleeping. i listen to music and read. i think a lot.
thats about it.

i pay my bills and have enough left over for us to go out to eat a couple times a week. we hit the flea market and do garage sales.
works for me....
am i over the moon about it? no
happy enough though and thats good enough for me

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

If that's what you are happy with, that's great!

I want to be happy as well.

So either I need to change my attitude, or change my conditions.

As for my age, ability, location, etc - I'm leaning towards changing my circumstances

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join