It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under Trump, astronauts might chart a new path to a familiar place: The moon

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Time for some good news, and some bad news people. The good news. NASA is going back to what it suppose to be doing. After this CRAPOLA..

I recall some famous words For ALL mankind. To the moon people, and beyond! This country, and the world's focus should be aimed at getting off this rock. So sometime not too far off in the distant future. We take our rightful place among the heavens.

We need to take that giant leap, and usher in a new era for human civilization.

While some people are flipping their lids about other political issues. It's not the end of the world. Nor is it the end of science as you have been lead to believe by others.

A partnership between the state, and private business.

The name most mentioned early on to head NASA has been Oklahoma GOP Rep. Jim Bridenstine, a former naval aviator who sits on the Space Subcommittee of the Science, Space and Technology Committee and has been a champion for giving aerospace firms a greater role in the space program.

Source

Some of you will freak out about this. We know they will, but hey the space industrial complex isn't such a bad thing. The other one brought us the internets. It brought us GPS and in dash navigation systems for our automobiles. It's brought a quite a lot of modern conveniences we all take for granted.

Of course I could be overly optimistic about finally getting back in to space. Hitching rides with the Russians was about as idiotic as it got next to religious outreach of NASA for crying out loud.

Anyhow.

I'm stoked.

A positive step in getting off this rock, and instead of crying oh god,oh god if we don't do something about the climate. It's gonna git us.

We secure mankind's future from such terrestrial neurosis.

To the moon people.

To Mars people.

To the great beyond.

Come on Mr. President!

Do what JFK 'faked' !!!

So people ?

Positive step ?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
It's time we went back...and beyond.
Mine the Moon, Mars..and the Asteroid Belt.

MEGA---Make Earth Great Again!

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
It's time we went back...and beyond.
Mine the Moon, Mars..and the Asteroid Belt.

MEGA---Make Earth Great Again!

Works for me.

Suddenly them rare earth metals aren't so rare, and certain countries that aren't us won't have a monopoly on them.

And Gorilla habits wouldn't be destroyed.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

...and we can 'Climate Change' the crap out of the Moon!

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

...and we can 'Climate Change' the crap out of the Moon!

Solar system change!

Yes they WILL!

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Time for some good news, and some bad news people. The good news. NASA is going back to what it suppose to be doing. After this CRAPOLA..

What the actual F...

Obama was insane

NASA's Muslim Outreach
By Mona Charen - July 7, 2010

Email Print 6Comments
It's not really surprising that President Obama told NASA administrator Charles Bolden that his highest priority should be "to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science ... and math and engineering." It fits with so much that we already knew about the president.

It is consistent with his wildly exaggerated concept of governmental and presidential power and competence. Samuel Johnson wrote: "How small, of all that human hearts endure, that part which laws or kings can cause or cure." Obama believes the opposite -- that his presidency can be a transformative moment not just for the nation, but for the world. He will halt global warming and stop the rise of the oceans, transition America to a green energy future, prevent the "cycle of boom and bust" in the economy, provide universal health care while spending less than before, cushion "underwater" mortgage holders without rewarding profligate borrowers, increase taxes on the "rich" without harming the middle class, solve the problem of excessive public debt by amassing more public debt and so on.

How in the world would NASA help Muslim nations to "feel good" about themselves? Would NASA hold science fairs in Tripoli or Tehran? Produce and circulate propaganda films about Great Muslim Men (careful, never women) of Science? Stress our global debt to Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi, the father of algebra? (That's risky, since al-Khwarizmi reportedly learned his math from the Indians.) How would Obama's NASA chief undertake to alter the civilizational self-esteem of a billion people?

edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoFri, 03 Feb 2017 13:19:51 -06001720172America/Chicago by everyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
How much influence does a president actually have on what NASA does?

I know they get funding from government.

But, who actually decides what they work on?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Quite a bit.

It's a government agency like any other.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Some of you will freak out about this. We know they will, but hey the space industrial complex isn't such a bad thing. The other one brought us the internets. It brought us GPS and in dash navigation systems for our automobiles. It's brought a quite a lot of modern conveniences we all take for granted.

Of course I could be overly optimistic about finally getting back in to space. Hitching rides with the Russians was about as idiotic as it got next to religious outreach of NASA for crying out loud.

Well i gotta say after reading what obama was using NASA for this new path trump sets gets me about a billion times more enthusiastic i know that much.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Quite a bit.

It's a government agency like any other.

That was/is a serious question.

Trump doesn't know squat about space exploration IMO.

I'd say real knowledge would be required to get "best bang for your buck".

Does the religious right he is surrounding himself with have any real interest in going beyond this planet?

Does Trump really have any interest?

Cuts in science really bothers me.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Forget the MOON!

Trump's plans are much bigger than that!
You could even say they are "YUGE!"

Trump: "We are going big here folks, I mean really big! We are going to the SUN! Beat that China! We have hired top notch astronaut/coal-walkers and we will wrap them in oven mits."
edit on 2 3 2017 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: tvtexan
Forget the MOON!

Trumps's plans are much bigger than that!
You could even say they are "YUGE!"

Trump: "We are going big here folks, I mean really big! We are going to the SUN! Beat that China! We have hired top notch astronaut/coal-walkers and we will wrap them in oven mits."

That sounds more like it.

Grandioses ideas with zero knowledge on how to accomplish it.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Trump doesn't know squat about space exploration IMO.

He doesn't have to.

JFK sure as snip didn't.

He did the only thing he had to.

Let a space agency get back to what it was created to do.

SPACE.
edit on 3-2-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
My opinion, yes, opinion, is that the cost of human conveyance to the moon let alone anywhere else makes this completely prohibitive. Add to that the cost for any sites designed for mining or whatever would be extreme. Better to plan any of these overtures to space to robots.

And here we are, 2017 and where are we. Discounting 'secret tech',,,,nowhere. Where are the viable launch stations already in orbit. Where are the re-entry vehicles that can come and go from down here to up there? On the drawing pad from what I read.

Where is the tech for this dream, better, WHEN is the tech for this. One year away, two? A decade? Or two. Or more.
And where will all the money come for all this R+D. Government paid? Private paid? The capitalist system cannot withstand the huge outlay of cash this would take as the short term profits would not suit the desires of the stock holders and government work under programs like NASA are part of what many of the new conservatives rail against.

So again I ask, just how far away is this dream. How long until the moon can be mined enough to make a reasonable dent in the unprofitableness of it. Human or robot conducted. And beyond the moon. How long, five years, ten? A couple of decades? My opinion is at least that and to my look at our human predicament, chances are things here on old Mother Earth will be in such disarray by that time as to make the whole endeavor moot.

That is unless we have a "When Worlds Collide" scenario. That one was where the government cracked down on everybody to have everybody working and paying huge taxes towards that one goal, that goal

Nope, in my opinion, this is all a pipe dream, one inculcated into our psyches to keep our heads in the clouds while those who are really in power seek to fortify their own redoubts and secluded bunkers from the forces of chaos that are running at full tilt along with us.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Hey...Obama was an expert on solar panels and healthcare...and look how great Solyndra and Obamacare worked out.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

It gets better than that.

Solar panels are a derivative of NASA tech, and were actually made in the USA versus made in China solar panels that put Solyndra out of business.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
If Trump can move industry to the moon he would be a climate change hero. But he probably just wants to put his name on it.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Ending a travel ban !!

Go NASA !!

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Templeton
If Trump can move industry to the moon he would be a climate change hero. But he probably just wants to put his name on it.

Well that is what we have to thank for mankinds technological progression thus far.

Someone wanting to get rich, and in the process lifted everyone up around it.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Maybe the scientists told JFK that getting to the moon wasn't possible, but he said, "Hey, I promised we'd go. Fake it!"

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join