It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia considering freeze on ANZUS alliance

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I have no doubt that he WILL get the information.

But why would he get it while Turnbull is still shoring up the deal?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

How does that work if the process just becomes another gateway to the US?

UUUmmmmm , free healthcare for starters , ummmmm welare system the envy of most of the world , wont even go into crime , that would just embarrass you . Relatively cheap education , certainly cheap compared to America . Need i go on . why do you think they roll up here and not the US and dont give me the distance thing , a lot of these people are worth more than me .

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Confused.

What is exactly your point? Or perhaps you missed mine.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Australian politicians are roundly despised.
Figuring a few will lose their positions next election to One Nation

Our two major parties are going to be shocked when the next election comes around

It's about time the US stopped trying to save the world and started to save themselves

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

My point is Australia is their destination , they dont want to go to america . By sending them to the land of the underpaid they may get the message .

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

And you called American's ignorant?

So in other words, you think it makes sense to be mad at us because we wont take them into our meager abode, even though they were trying to sneak into your shiny mansion on the hill???

LOL

Some friend.

Here's an idea... How about you send them back home.

We have our own problems, as you've pointed out.

edit on 3-2-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Please point out where i called America ignorant , feel free to copy and paste .

shiny mansion on the hill???

Yes our prime minister has quite the nice house . But its on Sydney harbour not a hill .

you think it makes sense to be mad at us because we wont take them into our meager abode

I am not mad , personally i dont give a crap how this pounds out . Oh , i believe at this stage the deal still stands .

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

So in other words, you think it makes sense to be mad at us because we wont take them into our meager abode, even though they were trying to sneak into your shiny mansion on the hill???

LOL

Some friend.

Here's an idea... How about you send them back home.

We have our own problems, as you've pointed out.

It's a funny story
We don't want them and we are upset you don't want them, so we are angry at you for not taking what we won't take and don't want

Does that make any sense

It's just a shame that we are dealing with real people, real lives and real problems
Who can blame them for wanting to come to the West, the US or Australia

Who can blame Trump, an elected President who was elected on an immigration platform for curbing immigration.
The Australian government are weak, Trump is proving to be what he said he was, that has upset the applecart over here.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

Please point out where i called America ignorant , feel free to copy and paste .

My apologies. I confused your post with another.

edit on 3-2-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
My point is Australia is their destination , they dont want to go to america . By sending them to the land of the underpaid they may get the message .

Why don't they just send them back home?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Why don't they just send them back home?

As i understand it they burn their papers when they are intercepted . Where the hell do you send them .

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

The Australian government are weak

How may i ask . The PM is a piece of crap granted but please elaborate .

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   
No problem, we can pull all our military out of that region. Russia will be glad to come to occupy their country if that is what they desire. They can get all the benefits of the Russian states, unlimited work building weapons at a low hourly wage. Everyone will be working though.

If a nation is getting protection from another nation, they either need to suck up or pay.

In reality that shouldn't be something that happens, but we do live in the real world, not a fairy tale.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: gort51

Fair suck of the sauce bottle Marko.......We never even heard the term "Bogan" until the last part of the 20th century......To us it was an exclusive "Western Suburbs of Sydney term" that noone else in Oz used.

I was a bogan in 1984. sorry to burst your surf bubble.

In Western Australia. We wore flannel shirts, desert boots, listened to acca dacca and punched on with surfers.. bogs vs surfs.. was the battle cry of the day.

Just because you westies decided to steal the word, doesnt mean anything.

My DB's and TNT t-shirt will beg to differ.. no one else in oz... you kids...

edit on 3-2-2017 by savemebarry because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
No problem, we can pull all our military out of that region. Russia will be glad to come to occupy their country if that is what they desire. They can get all the benefits of the Russian states, unlimited work building weapons at a low hourly wage. Everyone will be working though.

If a nation is getting protection from another nation, they either need to suck up or pay.

In reality that shouldn't be something that happens, but we do live in the real world, not a fairy tale.

Pine Gap,North West cape you have installations vital to your security here,you aint going anywhere.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
So Australia wont take these refugees, who were trying to get to Australia and are kept on an island that might as well be considered their own gitmo, but expect us to take them?

If all it takes to question our 'friendship' is our rational refusal to do something they won't do themselves, I wonder how much our friend they really could be?

People are hyperventilating over Trumps EO. Australia has had a flat out ban since 2013.

Cry me a river.

Quoted for truth.

I should have been able to give you 10 stars for that,

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

So your PM is that mad that Trump wouldn't take on 1200 boat people that your own country wouldn't take in? Particularly when he himself didn't have anything to do with that deal.

If they aren't good enough for you, why on earth did you think they were good enough for us?

Is the US like the world's crap refugee dumping ground or something?
edit on 3-2-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I can blame them plenty.

The answer is not to come sponge off of us.

If they want to make their lives better and hold on to their own culture in a meaningful way, they need to go home and be the change they want to see. Yeah, it does mean they will have to fight a rather long and bloody conflict for it, but some of us learned that lesson and look like we're going to have to learn it again.

Of course, if we have to go about fighting another war to secure our liberty, the refugees won't want to come to America anymore.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ok, let me break this down into bite sized pieces. Everyone is hearing the word refugee then closing off and refusing to listen to the rest of the story and missing the larger picture here.

Australia and the USA are extremely close allies;

-The USA has a large military base up in our Northern region, perfect for Pacific rim activities.
-The USA has a secret base called pine gap in the middle of nowhere. Not much is known about what goes on there beyond surveillance
-Whenever the USA looks for help, whether it is bombing another country (rightly or wrongly) Australia immediately sends help.
-Whenever there are large natural disasters in the USA we offer help. We're often there to help fight wildfires
-Basically we have each other's backs.
-Because you Americans outnumber us 10 to 1 our level of co-operation goes largely unnoticed.

So what happened then?

- A deal was brokered for a refugee exchange while Obama was still around. Remember, he was still President and was doing Presidenty things right till the last hour of his tenure.

-Said deal was not a dumping of refugees, it was an exchange. Basically the agreement was 'You settle these ones from us that we don't want and we'll settle those South Americans you don't want'

- Trump was sworn in and he famously signed his visa ban. We all knew that this might affect the deal, even cancel it.

- Trump and Turnbull were scheduled to have a phone conversation, as were many other world leaders. The refugee deal was on the agenda, just to find out if it were going to go ahead still or not. The expectation that it would still go ahead was fairly low actually.

- If Trump had said a flat no, it conflicts with what I am trying to achieved and moved on with the conversation we would have taken it in our stride and looked for some other good news. The deal itself is far from a make or break friendship kind of thing. Australia is not looking to upset the USA, we want to get on with Trump.

-What Trump actually did was go on a crazy person rant about 'the deal' and how it screwed over America and would not shut up about it. He did not actually give an answer as to whether it was to go ahead or be cancelled. He just got really hostile and hung up, despite multiple attempts from our PM to move the conversation away from that. It was far from the only thing he wanted to talk about.

- The administration in Washington is still giving very mixed messages. Everyone other than Trump says the deal is still on, while Trump keeps talking about what a terrible conversation it was and what a terrible deal it is.

-So we in Australia are like WTF??????? Everyone is acting real crazy over a small group of refugees and we are not getting a straight answer.

- And because all of Washington is acting so erratically our parliamentary advisors are telling us to plan for the worst. If the next 4 - 8 years are going to be ones of a hostile man shouting down the phone at us and not giving us straight answers, then we have no choice but to move forward without the USA in the picture as our closest ally.

And it is that last point Americans don't grasp yet. If the USA ends up in war with other nations again (and it most likely will) it's going to discover that finding partners to help out may not be so easy any more.
edit on 3-2-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Hey why Australia doesn't send the refugees to the EU, Im sure they will be happy to take them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join