It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia considering freeze on ANZUS alliance

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:33 AM
link   
So, President Trumps second week in power and he is already upsetting long term allies.

While it is true that at the heart of this matter is a small (only 1,250 max, not THOUSANDS like is being reported in the US MSM) contingent of refugees, the way President Trump treated PM Turnbull has the potential to cause a falling out between two close friends.

Not Good Mr Trump, not good at all.

Australian Strategic Policy Institute director Peter Jennings echoes that sentiment. "I think it's sensible for us to be working through all manner of contingencies, which includes a temporary freezing of the alliance, a sort of lull in alliance cooperation," he told the ABC.

www.sbs.com.au...

And here is Mr Trump admitting that he is going to alienate parts of the world. The jubilation could be very short lived for America at this rate.

edit on 3-2-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

When you stop having a 'yes' man as President, other countries might be rattled.

Who will Australia look to, China?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

One man can alienate close allies, and Australia is a very close ally. Our PM John Howard was there in Washington with President Bush as 9/11 happened and offered any / all help Australia could give.

www.reuters.com...

In less than two weeks one man has us questioning the ANZUS alliance, created in 1951.

All you Americans might think so what? The USA is strong and does not need Australia as friends.

But Trump has just backstabbed Israel, another even closer ally by doing a backflip on his 100% support Israel stance and told them not to announce any more settlements. The fact he does such things publicly instead of privately with their leaders is what is causing issues.

So that's two so far. And counting.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

When you stop having a 'yes' man as President, other countries might be rattled.

The way this world is headed this week we may as well look to bloody Switzerland

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   

I can see him doing this to countries like Saudi Arabia , but to countries we have always been in good terms with, that always have our back w out question, who always pull their weight and ask nothing really in return?

Trump has made a living being a bully, he's built his whole empire doing it , now he's trying to do the same w the presidency.....

I get where his supporters might agree w this, it's good to stand by what you say, but it's not good to be brash and just be a bully compromising what amounts to your countries long standing BFFs

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   

No, it's just politics as usual. It just has a new twist. One of my best mates lives up in Melbourne in the bush, he tells me it's about the same there as here, 1/2 the people like Trump, the other half don't. As far as dealings between statesmen, as long as treaties aren't broken, and signatory pacts remain, who cares if they argue a bit. You can't tell me an Aussie doesn't love a good argument.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: khnum

The way this world is headed this week we may as well look to bloody Switzerland

As they say "United we stand, divided we fall"

Trump supporters seem so jubilant in their MAGA Trump isolationist bubble that they are not seeing the bigger picture. Old alliances could be in serious jeopardy and the world order we now have could collapse.

I agree with the call for change his voters wanted, but said change needs to be done in an orderly fashion and with established mates on board to keep the balance of power where it is globally. Or the USA could very easily end up at war with Russia and China on it's own.

ETA China has already been asking Australia where it stands on the South China sea issue. What do you think our answer will be if Trump keeps carrying on like this?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I read an article this morning about this.

Honestly I laughed out loud when I read that Trump said:
"They're trying to send us, the next Boston Bombers."

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Australia is #1 on my move the eff outta the US list.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   

To the average American the rest of the world is marked 'here be dragons' .Im pretty disapointed yesterday the Trump regime continued the same rhetoric with Russia as the Obama administration,Bannon a chief advisor believes its inevitable that there will be a war with China and Iran,the Ukraine is going hot,domestically too much too quick you might get away with but its not great foreign policy.I supported Trump over Hillary and I still hope he can improve America but American first or Neocon Satanist I cant tell yet.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   

One of my best mates lives up in Melbourne in the bush,

There's an oxymoron if I ever heard one. Melbourne is Australia's second biggest city and about as 'un' bush as you can get...

Anywho, Trump is not as popular as your mate would have you believe. Maybe with redneck Holden Commodore driving bogans who are anti immigration and anti Muslim, but not the rest of the populace.

The whole refugee deal could have gone many ways, including nowhere at all, which is what I was expecting. But the way Trump is handling it is extremely unbecoming of the most powerful man in the world.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Is the American media reporting that part of the agreement was for Australia to take in refugees from Central America that were slated for the US?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   
am i missing something - or is this simply the opinions of private citizens ?

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   

To the average American the rest of the world is marked 'here be dragons' .Im pretty disapointed yesterday the Trump regime continued the same rhetoric with Russia as the Obama administration,Bannon a chief advisor believes its inevitable that there will be a war with China and Iran,the Ukraine is going hot,domestically too much too quick you might get away with but its not great foreign policy.I supported Trump over Hillary and I still hope he can improve America but American first or Neocon Satanist I cant tell yet.

America first is absolutely fine. A strong and non imperialist USA that pulls out of the Middle East and can bring Russia in out of the cold would be an America that most of the world would look up to as the leading role model again.

But there are worrying signs that he could just be going rogue, hellbent on the 'dealing' that he prides himself of being a master of. It's already very obvious that Trumps world famous deals are nothing more than 'I get exactly what I want or screw you all.'

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   
So Australia wont take these refugees, who were trying to get to Australia and are kept on an island that might as well be considered their own gitmo, but expect us to take them?

If all it takes to question our 'friendship' is our rational refusal to do something they won't do themselves, I wonder how much our friend they really could be?

People are hyperventilating over Trumps EO. Australia has had a flat out ban since 2013.

Cry me a river.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
for Australia to escalate tensions in an obviously very disproportionate manner compared to the original "insult" says far more about them than it does us.

i say screw em

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Ummm...perhaps you didn't get the memo...

From now on it's...what do you have to offer...US
We're not going to be carrying anyone else water...we're going to let them carry their own water from now on...

It's time for other nations that have sheltered under the umbrella of the US to have a go at adulthood...

I know...I know...
Stepping out from Mom and Dads...out into the real world...can sometimes be harsh...but that's the reality of life...

It's not that we wont have your back...should the need ever arise...But this...from a phone call...
Does your leader even wear grown up pants...

We're going to sever our alliance...cause dad yelled at us....

Do you see how over reactionary that is...?

YouSir

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
am i missing something - or is this simply the opinions of private citizens ?

Yes, you are.

The man who I quoted is part of an advisory team that talks to the govt.

Heck, even the opposition leader in parliament gave an incredibly rare show of solidarity with PM Turnbull and said 'Australians deserve better than this' with regards to the way Trump treated Turnbull during their phone call.

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Holden Commodore driving bogans

You rabbit i am thinking of buying a GTS-R W1 , if there are any left to buy . The anti immigration thing you got right but i am no redneck .

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: tribal

World leaders do not insult other friendly world leaders.

It's called diplomacy. You should try it.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join