It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Ambassador Haley hits Russia hard on Ukraine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

(CNN) The US Ambassador to the United Nations offered a strong condemnation of Russia in her first appearance at the UN Security Council on Thursday, calling on Moscow to de-escalate violence in eastern Ukraine and saying that US sanctions against Moscow would remain in place until it withdraws from Crimea.

"The United States continues to condemn and call for an immediate end to the Russian occupation of Crimea," said Nikki Haley, President Donald Trump's envoy to the world body. "Crimea is a part of Ukraine. Our Crimea-related sanctions will remain in place until Russia returns control over the peninsula to Ukraine."

CNN

Interesting development amidst the growing concern Trump will take a soft approach on Russia.

Granted this does not come from Trump, but Haley bringing this up her first day at the UN does make an interesting point. My guess would be she ran this by Trump, why go out and take a different position the first day?

Out of all the unpredictability of this administration, one thing resonates with me that a commentator said, and that is (paraphrased) "Trump is operating under a Nixon like philosophy, stay unpredictable so that adversaries will not be able to plan your moves".

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Surely she consulted with someone before speaking. Otherwise she would be out of there by days end. Maybe not Trump but someone who is in tune with him.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

My thoughts exactly.

Its going to be tedious to keep up with the tempo and direction of this administration, which is not a bad thing yet.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
McConnell: Trump's Russia hopes 'will be dashed pretty quickly'

McConnell warns Trump: Don’t lift Russia sanctions

I believe there's a story in those articles if you read between the lines. I think the message is that the GOP is calling the shots in the Trump administration on at least some important issues.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Its difficult to say. I won't rule it out, but this may have something to do with Trump's ego. Surely someone with an ego like him wouldn't want someone (Putin) to be under the impression you owe them a damn thing.

But you may be right, time will tell.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Flat wrong. Expressing a desire for cooperation, while projecting strength, is sound strategy in any adversarial relationship.

The narrative that Trump and Putin are such good buddies is leftist MSM propaganda.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

And anyone who knows Russia is aware that Russian leaders typically respect only foreign leaders who project strength while recognizing Russia as a power.

If you belittle them, you're done. If you show weakness, they'll pounce.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

Flat wrong. Expressing a desire for cooperation, while projecting strength, is sound strategy in any adversarial relationship.

The narrative that Trump and Putin are such good buddies is leftist MSM propaganda.

I amused daily by the very idea some have that Trump can plan something so complicated.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Guess some people were wrong about Trump and Putin !!

I'll wait for a Tweet from Trump so I can get the real story.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Out of all the unpredictability of this administration, one thing resonates with me that a commentator said, and that is (paraphrased) "Trump is operating under a Nixon like philosophy, stay unpredictable so that adversaries will not be able to plan your moves".

Comparing Trump to Nixon is a closer comparison than I have seen others make. We all know how that ended.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Well said.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Guess some people were wrong about Trump and Putin !!

I'll wait for a Tweet from Trump so I can get the real story.

Let us know. I am sure you follow his twitter and have a loud phone alert for it.

link   

I was watching some Gen Maddis speeches and noticed he was very strong against Russia.

I also remembering Trump say that he would like to get along with Russia, but maybe won't be able to.

I think pro Russia Trump is a media creation, not necessarily a reality. He seems pro American citizen, especially for the center of the country.

link   
a reply to: reldra

Please elaborate. I don't think you did yourself justice with that short response. I'd like to hear a bit more.

Also, I'd like to say if he is your enemy (which I think I'm safe in assuming) don't underestimate him. If you're true to your cause remember he was calculated enough to beat Hilary with far less connections and money for the campaign.
edit on 2-2-2017 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: swedy13

I was watching some Gen Maddis speeches and noticed he was very strong against Russia.

I also remembering Trump say that he would like to get along with Russia, but maybe won't be able to.

I think pro Russia Trump is a media creation, not necessarily a reality. He seems pro American citizen, especially for the center of the country.

Definitely not a media creation. The media didn't make up things Trump said about Putin. Also, the transcript of Trump and Putin's 'official call' was ACCIDENTALLY erased.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: swedy13

Definitely not a media creation. The media didn't make up things Trump said about Putin. Also, the transcript of Trump and Putin's 'official call' was ACCIDENTALLY erased.

Could you source that please? I'm not being snarky Reldra. I really want to see that info coz I can't find it. I'm willing to read your source with an open mind.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Optics happen despite policies . Both Trump and Putin know the mess that needs to be cleaned up inside the US .Trump is going to need help or at least not the barrage of crap coming at him from all sides .Putins help could be as simple as not taking the rhetoric he needs to use to get to the point of under control . Tell you what . Lets see if the US or the EU sends a bunch of cask to Ukraine real soon . My money is saying that Trump wont and the EU is afraid to .But lets see what happens over the next week .

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Obviously I disagree, as indicated by my reference to Maddis and Trumps statement.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Optics happen despite policies . Both Trump and Putin know the mess that needs to be cleaned up inside the US .Trump is going to need help or at least not the barrage of crap coming at him from all sides .Putins help could be as simple as not taking the rhetoric he needs to use to get to the point of under control . Tell you what . Lets see if the US or the EU sends a bunch of cask to Ukraine real soon . My money is saying that Trump wont and the EU is afraid to .But lets see what happens over the next week .

Yea, the game of chess is getting really interesting! Especially since those who controlled the chess board for sooooo long have lost their authority!

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Oh, oh, does Trump know she said that?? Didn't he just fire an Attorney General for not wanting to implement his refugee ban? Her days are numbered..."You're Fired."

top topics

<<   2 >>

join