It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Bowl Pork Spareribs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
a reply to: DBCowboy

Baby back or ST Louis?

St Louis.

They're he biguns.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: swedy13

That was a great documentary and eating at his restaurant is on my bucket list

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

So for St. Louis you're shooting for 5-6 hrs keeping the temp around 225. They can go longer depending on meat thickness.

Since you are using a marinade I would suggest laying them out on a rack to dry out some in your fridge. You don't want them wet in the grill or they will drip, you will not get a crust and they could scorch.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
My dad (and I) are originally from Texas and love our BBQ, and my mom is from New York but introduced a staple to our BBQs with an easy side dish that everyone I make it for raves for.

Its called Salt potatoes (weird name).

I got the smallest Dutch gold potatoes I can find, usually sold in a mesh bag (about the size of a half dollar or smaller).

Boil in a large pot with about a pound of salt (raises the boiling temp but the skin on the potato keeps most of the salt out) boil with about six cloves of garlic for around 20 minutes or until the skin starts to wrinkle.

Drain all, put pot on med low heat, pick out garlic and throw in the pot with a stick of butter, once the butter melts put potatoes in and pick up the pot and swirl so the potatoes pulverize the garlic and gets coated with butter.

Finish with fresh cracked black pepper.

Great for get together as toothpicks can grab them.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

So for St. Louis you're shooting for 5-6 hrs keeping the temp around 225. They can go longer depending on meat thickness.

Since you are using a marinade I would suggest laying them out on a rack to dry out some in your fridge. You don't want them wet in the grill or they will drip, you will not get a crust and they could scorch.

I won't be grilling. Just cooking in the oven.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

That sounds good!

I was doing a home-made slaw as a side.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Haha wise idea, the crunch and veggies will even out the meal.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Ok, no biggie.

Set 225 and wrap the ribs in foil for 2 1/2 hours.

That will slightly steam to get the texture you want for the finished ribs.

After the 2 1/2 hours remove the foil and place them on a rack or lined baking sheet.

So at this point you have the luxury of checking on them. They are going to go anywhere from 4-6 more hours in there. This is when the bark will form even in the oven.

Remember to get all that silver skin off the bottom of the ribs. It will not melt away in the oven. You need to really clean them well getting rid of any unwanted flaps of meat.

And then of course there are little tricks. If the underside isn't to your liking when they are finished, toss the ribs face down in the broiler for a few minutes. That will quickly melt anything undesirable.

Turn over apply BBQ sauce if that's your thing and finish in the broiler.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Today I purchased 2 slabs of pork spareribs for Sunday's big game.

I plan on marinating them starting tomorrow with a herb/lemon/garlic marinate for a day, then late Saturday night/early Sunday morning, wrap them in foil, bbq'ed, and slow cook for 12 -14 hours at 200F.

Any tips, am I way off base here?

WTH is wrong with you???

Herb and lemon and garlic?

A nice dry rub in paprika, black pepper, brown sugar, salt, cayenne, garlic powder, dry mustard, and cumin.A little chili pepper to taste.

Let that marinate for a day.

Since I do not have access to a grill, I do them in the oven.

Start lathering the last hour of cooking with some, and I cheat with some good honey hickory bbg sauce,until just right.

My southern Texas girlfriend rewards me the next day because of the food coma I put her in.

May have missed a few steps, but you get the jest.

Good luck and....

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Iam assuming you are using a slow cooker??? while you are at it drop a couple o bay-leaves along with a sprig of fresh thyme in it..also wouldn't hurt to drop a scotch bonnet pepper in it...WITH OUT BREAKING THE BULB,

If not a slow cooker then to boil or not to boil that is the question , have fun..

edit on 2-2-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

I wasn't touching that one

I would do

mustard powder, cayenne, paprika, ginger, always kosher salt, black pepper, onion and garlic powder or some variation on that but that's cause I like a good bark baby!

I was just working with a big deal brisket place. Smoking brisket for 12 hours on a giant smoker.

That rub is crazy simple too.

The guy I worked with was mentored by aaron franklin and the pit BBQ was franklins from Texas.
edit on 2-2-2017 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
BBQ is cool. But it is a big world. Tell me what you like and give me a swing at the bat.

It is what I do for grins.

Denny

edit on 2-2-2017 by DaCook because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I trust they are beef ribs if your Texan girlfriend loves them.... If they are pork, we will have to initiate the formal disowning ceremony for her.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Iam assuming you are using a slow cooker??? while you are at it drop a couple o bay-leaves along with a sprig of fresh thyme in it..also wouldn't hurt to drop a scotch bonnet pepper in it...WITH OUT BREAKING THE BULB,

If not a slow cooker then to boil or not to boil that is the question , have fun..

I decided not to boil, wanted to keep much of the flavor (even if boiling in beer) I'm not using a slow cooker, just the oven.

But I might use the pepper.

I usually make a sweeter bbq sauce, but a touch of heat might make a great contrast.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Ok, no biggie.

Set 225 and wrap the ribs in foil for 2 1/2 hours.

That will slightly steam to get the texture you want for the finished ribs.

After the 2 1/2 hours remove the foil and place them on a rack or lined baking sheet.

So at this point you have the luxury of checking on them. They are going to go anywhere from 4-6 more hours in there. This is when the bark will form even in the oven.

Remember to get all that silver skin off the bottom of the ribs. It will not melt away in the oven. You need to really clean them well getting rid of any unwanted flaps of meat.

And then of course there are little tricks. If the underside isn't to your liking when they are finished, toss the ribs face down in the broiler for a few minutes. That will quickly melt anything undesirable.

Turn over apply BBQ sauce if that's your thing and finish in the broiler.

Thank you!

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

For the love of god man, don't boil!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I trust they are beef ribs if your Texan girlfriend loves them.... If they are pork, we will have to initiate the formal disowning ceremony for her.

Actually no. I live outside of Dallas Texas. Brisket is the thing the thing here, not beef ribs. You almost never see them outside Espino BBQ's.

Beef ribs. Heavy salt n some pepper. Braise them in a 400 degree oven for about an hour and a half. Check them, and if close just recover with the foil and let them residual cook for a bit. Playing my game.

Denny

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

For the love of god man, don't boil!!!!

I won't.

I promise!

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I have to ask, why is a dry rub better than a wet one?

Won't it infuse better with a wet rub?

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I prefer a dry rub. It's the salt that's penetrating the meat.

If you do a wet rub and wrap it in foil it will most likely just slosh off.

But if you do a wet rub then dry it out after the marinating peroid then you can safely wrap it in foil.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join