It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dune has found its director! Denis Villeneuve. (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Its official:

Back in late November, we’d reported on Legendary having secured the rights to the Dune series of novels from the Frank Herbert estate. The deal gives Legendary the option for both film and television rights worldwide. Brian’s tweet implies that Villeneuve will be attached to the film project, and we’ll keep an eye out for any news on around the TV front. It seems that studios are looking to go wider than a single format lately, with Lionsgate developing the Kingkiller Chronicles simultaneously for both TV and Film. The Dune projects would be produced by Thomas Tull, Mary Parent and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert serving as executive producers.

Really cant wait for this. I hope theres room for making it into a trilogy. I still love Lynch's Dune ofc, its cult classic status will never change.
Always loved the books, so I also hope Denis is very very true to the source material.

www.bleedingcool.com...
edit on 1-2-2017 by Jungian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I hope it's better than SyFs remake mini series.

Dune 1984.

One of my all time favorites.

Long live the fighters!

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Agreed. I felt the TV series was pretty cringe.

The sleeper must awaken!

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Jungian
I'm super excited about this and hope the new team takes some inspiration from the work Jodorowsky did. That said, in today's world of milking an IP to death and beyond I'm hoping they at least get to God Emperor. I'll be fine with them stopping there, no need to press on to the, imo, terrible end of the series. Just give me God Emperor on the big screen, please.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Jungian

Another Dune movie? Why do they keep trying with this series? It really doesn't translate well to the big screen because you are either going to have to cut out a TON of content and dialog to fit it into a movie's timeframe or drastically alter the premise by adding tons of explosions and special effects that didn't happen in the books.

Even when the Sci-Fi channel had the mini-series it didn't do too well. I wouldn't hold out hope for this attempt either.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Look who your talking about.

The SyFy Channel.

LOL.

If a netflix,starz,HBO,Showtime did it.

Someone with the cash to back it.

It would be epic.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Or David Bowie and David Lynch?

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I smell a box office bomb.
Everything has to be a sequel or a reboot of a popular movie to make monies today.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Sure, there's been problems with the previous iterations but fans still like them. I like cheesy movies and looked past a lot of the problems with the Sy-Fy attempts because I like seeing the world of Dune in motion. I really liked the way they handled The Preacher and Jas in Children of Dune.

The new one will have problems, without question. But I'm still excited to see it if it happens and doesn't get scrapped along the way. I'd like to see a full cast of absolute nobodies. No well known actors whatsoever.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The reboots must flow...

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
People are calling this a "reboot"?

Hilarious.

You dont reboot cult classics. Lynch's Dune is FAR AWAY from the source material, as Jodorowkis Dune also would have been.
Denis Villeneuve has been airing his thoughts about wanting to make Dune for a long time, and now that he is hired I feel good about this. The man has made Sicario, Arrival and now Blade Runner 2. The man obviously has good vision compared to the marvel reboots and batman reboots and starwars reboots....all just hogwash.

But Dune? An almost 40 year old movie? If that is being called a reboot, then ANY fkn movie is a reboot.

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
saw an article somewhere about the three to five year series with story arcs, a la Breaking Bad (or the earlier Buffy the Vampire Slayer). their point was that this is a fairly new format that would be the best thing for certain stories too long for a two-hour movie.
that would be the best format for Dune, giving time to develop, but the big $ is in the theaters, so I doubt they'd put big bucks in a series.
I would hope SyFy isn't planning on giving it the Sharknado treatment

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
If they are going to do a proper Dune remake, it would have to be on HBO or Netflix with a budget on-par with Game of Thrones.

There was a documentary released a few years ago called Jodorowsky's Dune about the original director's epic vision of what Dune could have been, but the budget required would have been so ridiculous that the project was dropped.

edit on 1-2-2017 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

I agree Netflix or HBO is the way to go with Dune. In my mind it's the only way you can do it right. A movie just won't be able to fit everything in and if it does not do well. Then the story does not get finished.

I love Dune but it is not something that should have money thrown at it to make it bigger. Can a faithful Dune actually be made in the current studio environment. Or would they have to cut too much and fill it out with spectacle and action. Therefore inflating the budget. Then they have to have a massive marketing campaign. As while there have been many adaptions. It's still not the most well known property. Inflating the budget even more. So the movie would have to do big numbers to get a sequel.

Whereas a long form series gets time to grow and time to tell the story. Also Dune has a ton of prose that is supposed to be thought. What the character is thinking. That is hard to do on screen period, but easier in a long form series than a movie.

On the subject of Jodorowsky's Dune. His ideas are awesome. And while the guy is getting old. I would love for someone to give him the budget to go crazy with a science fiction film. Just not Dune. His Dune would of been nothing like the book. It would be completely different. So different there is no point in calling it Dune.

He re-purposed the Dune story he wanted to tell in comic book form in French. If anyone wants to check it out. There are English Translations out there. Its called The Incal. Let him make his Incal into a movie but keep his ideas away from Dune.

LINK

edit on 2-2-2017 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Dune should be at the cinema/IMAX.

Jodorowskys Dune is just an acid trip with the biggest ideas ever thrown in for good measure. We wont ever see anything like it, again. It was surely the greatest movie never made.

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

If they are going to do a proper Dune remake, it would have to be on HBO or Netflix with a budget on-par with Game of Thrones.

The weirding way meets ice zombies!

posted on Feb, 2 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Another thought that popped into my head. How well is a movie that is essentially about a bunch of desert people waging a jihad. That uses lots of Arabic sounding words. Going to do in the current political climate.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy
Another thought that popped into my head. How well is a movie that is essentially about a bunch of desert people waging a jihad. That uses lots of Arabic sounding words. Going to do in the current political climate.

Just as it did back then.. Some movies will always fit the "current" political climate.

Arrakis=Iraqis
Spice=Oil

etc..

new topics

top topics

join