It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Executive Order on Lobbying Signed-Removing the Swamp!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
This does nothing to end Corporate lobbying and it's accompanying corruption.

The Corporations will just use non governmental lobbyist.

Big deal....

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

This is a positive directive by Trump. I have to ask, why not eliminate lobbying altogether? Would that be illegal? Corporations can still address congress without having lobbyists walking the hallways of congress.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Good start for week one! Hope he closed those loopholes as well. He clearly knows about them

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
This, and his withdrawal from the TPP, are things I agree with and applaud. (Just as there were things I agreed with that Obama and others did, despite also being critical of them.)

To truly address the problem imho, Citizens United also has to be repealed or blocked even if it takes an amendment, his executive order or an act of congress should apply the same rules to congress as well, and comprehensive campaign finance reform that cracks down on corporate donors must also be instituted.

This applies to both parties. We've seen even people like Keith Ellison on the DNC side of the isle walk back and then back away entirely from it becoming policy that they not take big corporate money. I know campaigns and politics costs money... but so long as the influence exists, it will be disproportionate compared to the will of the people, as shown by the Princeton study on congressional responsiveness to the public interest.

Not being able to have a revolving door at the executive branch level - at least for a few years - is a great step, though imo. Full credit where it is due.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

No way... our government has long suffered the tyrannies of legacy induced government. If we didn't live it to say it is fact, I would assume it would be of science fiction to learn the the citizen ran government and world super power has balloted sons of former Presidents and wives of former Presidents. in fact the amount of relation between all presidents legacies is astonishing.

Therefore... we are on the radiation plan. let's give a few doses of radiation, and see how the cancer is in due time. This is not something that can be completely destroyed as we'd all like to hope could be so.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

Crap, in that case his EO is worthless. They are just getting paid upfront.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
this is really good...the TPP thing was really good. I'm these two things are huge and really, really good.

It's all the other stupid little things, like the pipelines, Muslim ban...etc. If he could just keep to the important things.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ttobban
Therefore... we are on the radiation plan. let's give a few doses of radiation, and see how the cancer is in due time.

Forget the cancer analogy. There was lobbying yesterday, there is today and this won't stop it. It does nothing but keep individuals from going right into it.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

It's a catch 22 scenario, so it has to be treated as if a cancer is within, and has spread. If not slowly treated, shock and risk of infection can end chances of survival. Much like doctors advising my 92 year old grandfather who smoked for 80 plus years to keep smoking away.

The catch 22 you ask? That lobbyists are essentially 'a business' civil right to get a vote within' a democracy... to essentially label a business' vote equal or more to that of a citizen of the democracy. So think about it... how will it be possible to re-stabilize an economy and grow jobs yet rip out the system that is funding it entirely. I am sorry, but we will be forced to limit their future influence and use their currencies to rebuild.

Thomas Jefferson, one of the primary contributors to the constitution, stated: that no matter the form of government, periodic revolutions are needed to thwart the evils of tyrannies. Being 150 years or so into legacies just means the infection has spread deeper than we'd liek to admit... it does not equate to being unfixable.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
If you think Raytheon, Boeing, L-3 comm, EADS or Northrop Grummon or all the big pentagon connected war profiteers will stop lobbying for those sweet weapon deals you are a complete fool.

The pentagon doors swing wide for the big dogs.
edit on 28-1-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Well, prefer to be the glass os half empty kind of perspective, and enjoy your misery. Pointing out that something exists and waiving the white flag of defeat serves zero purpose.

Not sure what else to offer up... my analogies are meant to simplify things that are being made to be more complicated then need be.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Its not like there will be a protest against this by the executives . A CEO of a corporation has his minions to do their bidding .This might just be for public optics .

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Another good one for Trump

For once, I can honestly quote the movie "Team America"... AMERICA, F YEA!

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Good for the new administration to have its own executive order re lobbying. Similar to Obama's. Waivers can still be granted, so we shall see.

Trump administration will be banned from lobbying for five years after leaving government. That sounds extremely sweeping, but it’s unclear how it will be enforced.....Obama forbade his officials from contacting their former agency for two years, although they were free to lobby other parts of the government. Senior officials could not lobby their former colleagues for the duration of the administration. Spicer didn’t specify whether Trump’s rule will use a similar standard or rely on the more porous definition in the Lobbying Disclosure Act.
The Obama transition team's policy restricted hires who lobbied for one year prior, as did an earlier code of ethics for the Trump transition obtained by POLITICO. Trump’s new policy appears to be more lenient on the front end in that it allows new hires to have been registered to lobby on the issues they’re advising the transition on right up until they come aboard, provided the incoming transition aides show proof that they terminated their lobbying registration.

source

Now, if only Congress did away with revolving door.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

The glass isn't half empty it is completely empty.

It isn't waiving a white flag of defeat but asking why people are throwing victory signs when nothing has been won.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
a reply to: ksiezyc

Does it stop lobbying?

If not, then, it really isn't doing anything.

There is always one sour grape, the man has done more good in his first two weeks than the last 3 president before him combined.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Yep, corporate lobbyists will still be in the business of lobbying Congress. This doesn't do away with corporate influence in Washington. And Congress needs to close its revolving door.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Massively hypocritical, unless he stops his ex campaign manager Corey Lewandowski from starting up his own lobbying firm.

He needs to set examples with the people who work for him.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

There is nothing to satisfy an all or nothing persona with such complex life occurrences. I hope that you can find peace to come together with all humans.

Term it what you want... what people are at odds with each other all stems from one word... DIVIDE.

Constantly pointing out where others fail and offering no remedies yourself... maybe the cancer analogy is a little more prudent than first thought, huh?

I wish your thirst be quenched!

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: muSSang

Hyperbole.

The guy hasn't really done anything. So he signed a few EOs which make him look like he is making good on his campaign promises for public optics. Not really something I would get excited about.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join