It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids these days are such little snowflakes.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Now, this isn't politics, so don't worry.
I came across this story in the Motorcycle News a UK weekly paper.

www.motorcyclenews.com...

2.bp.blogspot.com...

Frankly, aged 14 and 10, riding across the states on a rattly old Indian...Bloody heroes!

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Very original topic. Snowflake is not at all an over-used term.

Congratulations on your very original thought.

Thank you for keeping the internet interesting with such original info.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
wow, they did a lot of pretty amazing stuff considering how young they were, I think most of us would be considered snowflakes compared to them.

Indian have been remembering the Abernathy brothers as part of their Be Legendary campaign, after they rode their motorcycle from Oklahoma to New York when they were aged just 14 and 10 in 1913.

Bud and Temple took on the challenge after being told by their father Jack Abernathy that they needed to “toughen up” when they were aged just nine and five respectively, deciding to embark on a series of adventures to prove to their father that they were worthy

edit on 27-1-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-1-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Snowflakes are just snowflakes that are easily triggered and have the need to call other people snowflakes. And the wheels on the bus go round and round.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Those kids lived an adventure before they even finished puberty....wow. Couldn't do that today, first the problem with licensing two kids of that age, secondly the issue of the parents being arrested and charged with some sort of endangerment.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Speedtek
Snowflakes are just snowflakes that are easily triggered and have the need to call other people snowflakes. And the wheels on the bus go round and round.

Didn't read it then...

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
wow, they did a lot of pretty amazing stuff considering how young they were, I think most of us would be considered snowflakes compared to them.

Indian have been remembering the Abernathy brothers as part of their Be Legendary campaign, after they rode their motorcycle from Oklahoma to New York when they were aged just 14 and 10 in 1913.

Bud and Temple took on the challenge after being told by their father Jack Abernathy that they needed to “toughen up” when they were aged just nine and five respectively, deciding to embark on a series of adventures to prove to their father that they were worthy

I totally agree with you there

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

I never even heard of them before.
Their early years are right up there with some of the best H Rider Haggard books, but true :-)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
In my day snowflakes were white people...what are they considered now?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jahari

It's generally a perjorative term for people lacking in grit.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Never heard of them. Most kids back then were far more mature and tougher than kids of the same age nowadays.

I grew up in 70s and 80s. I was cutting grass at 9 years old. Most parents these days wouldn't dare let a 9 year old fiddle with a lawnmower. I had pellet and BB guns. Shot 22s and shotguns unsupervised.

Used to go out and play all day from sun up to sun down. Parents had no clue where I was or what I was doing. I just had to be home by the time the street lamps came on.

I think kids are far more intelligent and mature than we give them credit for.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I had the same upbringing. When being a latchkey kid was not something that would get the parents arrested for negligence or endangerment to the child.

Same rule about the streetlamps. I never got a shotgun though, we lived in the suburbs and I did not hunt.

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Very similar upbringing, except a decade or so further back (50's & 60's).
I was a late child, my 4 siblings were 9 to 20 years older, single working mom.
Pretty much raised myself, educated myself, worked and went to college at 16.
According to government records, 1966 was my first year to pay into Social Security.

I live in a rural area now (since I'm "retired") and it's almost like the time when I was brought up - kids out at all hours, BB guns and 22's, horse riders, 4 wheelers without helmets (terminal stupidity), and in general, much more like when I was a kid in terms of parental supervision.

Unfortunately, the culture and attitudes here are back in the 50's as well.... When segregation came in the 60's, these folks took their kids out of school, so we have a AVERAGE educational level of 8th grade here. It seems nobody got the memo about using the N-word either.

ganjoa

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Heh, not only that, but we had a shooting range inside our school! And guess where it was???

It was under the pool! (pretty good incentive to keep the rounds going down-range)

Rode my dirt bike out in the desert every single day one year except for one day (had the flu and was basically comatose, but even then I considered riding). Parents had no idea where we went, which was sometimes 50-60 miles distant. I was 12-13. Now somebody would probably go to prison for that. I had to cut lawns for years to save up enough money to buy that bike.

The difference though was, we all understood we were responsible for our own actions, and there were consequences.

It's sad to me to see the nanny-state this world has become anymore. Nobody is personally responsible for anything anymore it seems. It's all someone else's responsibility.

ETA...oh, and we rode our bicycles with no helmets (heck, no one had ever seen a bicycle helmet then)...and definitely ran with scissors!

edit on 1/27/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Everyone (including me) needs to put a kibosh to n snowflake for, say, 4865 months.

Ok everyone?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I think people who use the word snowflakes and triggered are buttercups.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

originally posted by: Jahari

It's generally a perjorative term for people lacking in grit.

I wouldn't say that young people today lack grit. They are lacking in something, and every time I think I have figured it out, one comes along that makes me not so sure.

I recently spoke with a group of young men and women that attended one of my seminars on Cyber Safety. I asked them why they ignore all the warnings and all the teachings that their parents and teachers present them with, in an attempt to protect them.

They were an amazing group of young people, though many would classify them as rebellious and entitled. What struck me the hardest was their honesty and their hostility. They were far from weak and were ready to do battle at the drop of a hat, because they felt they have no real future and nothing to lose.

They told me that they don't chose to learn vicariously. They said if a friend jumped off a roof and broke his leg, they would jump just to prove they could do it without breaking their leg, even if it meant they broke something else. They said the one who survived got the bragging rights. If both survived then they would get the honor of being the one with the greatest injury and survived. If they died, "so what".

Talking with this group made me see young people in a whole different light. I will admit that it makes my job a hell of a lot harder, but for now, all I can do is reach out to those young people that are looking for a different path, while I learn how to help those that have moved extreme sports to the primer for their whole life.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
There's that stupid F#cking word again. Anyone who succumbs to using a word like snowflake as a label and stereotype is no better than those they're trying to apply it to. What makes you so special hmmmm?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rookseven

I think people who use the word snowflakes and triggered are buttercups.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

That's the biggest thing...I remember that if I came home bruised and bloody, my parents asked me "what did you do?" not "what happened to you." (Implying that I was responsible for my actions.) Heck, when I was a kid I disturbed the dog while he was eating and I got growled at...I told my mom the dog growled at me, she asked what I did so I told her. Her response: "Don't bother the dog while he's eating." ***Case closed*** I learned that actions have repercussions and I was responsible for mine.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join