It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids these days are such little snowflakes.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
If kids today are "snowflakes" in a bad way, that just means the older generations failed as parents & leaders. Because the youth hold virtually no political nor economic power, nor do they write our local regulations, school curriculum, etc.

Although the story in the OP wreaks of child endangerment to me. It sounds more like a situation where the parents willingly abandoned the kids to go on their "trip", hoping they wouldn't return. It's no different than the idiot parents who leave their kids in a forest as punishment to "toughen them up". If the kids die, the parents claim ignorance, claim the kids ran away, claim the kids were kidnapped, etc.

Thousands of kids die every year from child abuse and child neglect, so I fail to see the honorable part of this.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

That was very well said.
You do get that my title was a bit tongue in cheek though, don't you?

What those two boys did in the original article makes me feel a bit like a snowflake if I'm totally honest.

I just wanted to post a story that some might not have heard before and would make people go wow.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Leaving aside the snowflake stuff, I agree with your point about neglect and endangerment.

Though one proviso, back then kids were working in factories and on farms and were pretty much treated as cheap versions of adults labour wise.

When they took the ride on the bike, the older brother was 14, old enough to have a full time job and 2 years older than Nelson was when he was sent away to sea.

Going beyond the mere facts of the story though, doesn't it fill you with wonder at just what these brothers managed to achieve?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Going beyond the mere facts of the story though, doesn't it fill you with wonder at just what these brothers managed to achieve?

Not really. My family donates often to the local shelters. They always have high numbers of runaways, abuse victims, youth who were kicked out of their homes, former orphans, etc. So I guess it's hard for me to see past that perspective on issues on this.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Have to agree to disagree then. 3000 miles by horse in 62 days and neither eating nor sleeping indoors is a hell of a thing for 2 young boys who probably had the option of just staying home is amazing to me.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

That was very well said.
You do get that my title was a bit tongue in cheek though, don't you?

What those two boys did in the original article makes me feel a bit like a snowflake if I'm totally honest.

I just wanted to post a story that some might not have heard before and would make people go wow.

Indeed. I found the story interesting in a lot of ways.

Being a bit gray around the edges, and having grown up in the country were you were taught about chores, family, strength, courage, and responsibilities, starting around the time you could walk, it struck a cord with me. I never considered my life hard, I didn't know anything else. Looking back, I would not have wanted it any other way.

We just lived in a different time. Not a better time, just different, and parents did what they thought was best to assure their children would be able to deal with the obstacles in life and that they stood a good chance at having a better future. It may seem cold, cruel, and dangerous by today's standards, but it was necessary at the time.

Much like the necessities in the lives of these children. They don't know anything else and by the time they do, they probably wouldn't change a thing.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Great story! Thanks for sharing. Here's a little more.

The Tale of Two Boys Who Rode an Indian Motorcycle From OK to NY
(Sprocket, you may like this site?)

It seems that afterward the boys decided they were too old for such excitement. Their ride to New York on the Indian was their last documented adventure. Bud (real name Louis) grew up to become a lawyer and practice in Wichita Falls, Texas. He died in 1979. Temple worked in the oil industry and passed away in 1986.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Freija

Thanks Freija that site is definitely in my fave list now.
Their dad sounds even more mental lol

Good vid there. Couldn't shake the memory of Colm Igguldens book about Ghengis while watching

edit on 20pSat, 28 Jan 2017 05:13:20 -060020172017-01-28T05:13:20-06:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

I couldn't agree more. My internet thanked me personally for opening this thread, it made its night. PS...I wonder if all these snowflakes are triggered? (thats another word I hate)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join