It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Badlands National Park Twitter account goes rogue, starts tweeting scientific facts

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
Way to prove Trump was right in limiting the embedded rogue traitors from spouting their personal agenda unchecked.

We don't need Eco warriors wasting our tax payers money and resources on their personal agendas.

Except how are science facts a bad thing?

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Big power struggle between the outgoing Administration and the new Administration.

Employees need to think twice before going crazy.

Some people have held their jobs through several administrations. A national; Park tweeting about climate change, or someone even who used to work for the park, is not employees going crazy. It is civil disobedience.

The twitter feed for BadlandsNPS has gone from 7k to 120k.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

Way to prove Trump was right in limiting the embedded rogue traitors from spouting their personal agenda unchecked.

We don't need Eco warriors wasting our tax payers money and resources on their personal agendas.

It is a bad thing to the alternative fact people. LOL

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I mean that's my biggest gripe with the anti global warming crowd. In any other aspect of science they'll believe anything a scientist says, but talk about climate change and BAM it must be a lie.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Just days after The National Park Service (NPS) was forced to shut down its Twitter activity over two retweets the Department of the Interior deemed inconsistent with the agency’s mission, the Twitter account for Badlands National Park in South Dakota seems to have gone rogue, tweeting numerous scientific facts about climate change that have since been deleted.

The first tweet about climate science came at 11:40 a.m. local time Tuesday. It said: “The pre-industrial concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere was 280 parts per million (ppm). As of December 2016, 404.93 ppm.”

Source

With the Trump administration clamping down on official social media accounts (no hypocrisy there) it would appear that someone out at Badlands National Park decided to go rogue. Starting this afternoon their official Twitter account started tweeting climate change facts. Unfortunately these tweets have since been deleted.

Personally I find this hilarious. Someone decided the current administration's orders were ridiculous and they decided to take matters into their own hands. Unfortunately the park as a whole will probably suffer for this if not the Parks Service as a whole.

I hope they won't suffer it. At least Trump knows people are paying attention. It went viral spawning hashtags like #Badasslands and #BreakingBadlands I love it.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Do the climate change deniers know how many more smoke stacks and exhaust pipes there are in the world than active volcanoes? I don't think they do.

Even if you think climate change is fake, then are we going to censor everything that the government think's is fake?

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I mean that's my biggest gripe with the anti global warming crowd. In any other aspect of science they'll believe anything a scientist says, but talk about climate change and BAM it must be a lie.

True. Trump called Global Warming a hoax made up by China. It sounds like someone who once described to me that better technology was just a scam to get us to throw out out cassette tapes to buy a CD player and CDs.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: LanceCorvette

“Today, the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is higher than at any time in the last 650,000 years”

To the extent these are presented as "facts" I would posit just from a layman's perspective,

(a) there is no way to know what the amount of carbon dioxide was "in the atmosphere" 650,000 years ago, inasmuch as there were no humans around to measure it, and of course no instruments; and

(b) how did they determine the amount of CO2 "today", inasmuch as the tweet was about 11 a.m.; was this a local measurement, a global average, what was the actual number, it could be one PPM more than 650,000 years ago, or a million ppm, and

(c) so what? Measurements differ on this particular item. So what?

Seems to me it's not even the job of Badlands NP to measure and collect this data.

This is part of the problem: every has an "opinion" on things they probably know nothing about and that are objectively measurable.

Ice. Cores.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: game over man
Do the climate change deniers know how many more smoke stacks and exhaust pipes there are in the world than active volcanoes? I don't think they do.

Even if you think climate change is fake, then are we going to censor everything that the government think's is fake?

Trump is going to try. And I don't think he thinks it's fake. It is just not in the best interests of his business friends to believe it is real. He told the automotive industry that 'Environmental regulations are out of control." This would cause me to believe he is going to remove many necessary regulations as a sadly misguided way to convince corporations to stay. There are better ways to convince them without turning our air into what Chinese industrial cities look like.
edit on 24-1-2017 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Seems to me it's not even the job of Badlands NP to measure and collect this data.

This is part of the problem: every has an "opinion" on things they probably know nothing about and that are objectively measurable.

They run a HUGE national park. They are concerned with environmental issues every day. They spend the entirety of their jobs preserving the plants, animals and lands of the park. Of course they should be able to say what they think is causing problems in the environment.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
Because someone stops tweeting them does not mean the facts vanish. Look them up yourself.

Because someone tweets these facts doesn't mean it's their job to tweet these facts, and in fact it may be that they're using government time and property to further their own personal agenda, which is illegal.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Because someone stops tweeting them does not mean the facts vanish. Look them up yourself.

Because someone tweets these facts doesn't mean it's their job to tweet these facts, and in fact it may be that they're using government time and property to further their own personal agenda, which is illegal.

That entire 20 minutes it took to tweet. I think most of us have bigger concerns on where the government may or may not be wasting government time and resources.

I can think of someone who is using government time and property to further a personal aganda..on a grand scale.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: 123143

“Today, the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is higher than at any time in the last 650,000 years”

To the extent these are presented as "facts" I would posit just from a layman's perspective,

(a) there is no way to know what the amount of carbon dioxide was "in the atmosphere" 650,000 years ago, inasmuch as there were no humans around to measure it, and of course no instruments; and

(b) how did they determine the amount of CO2 "today", inasmuch as the tweet was about 11 a.m.; was this a local measurement, a global average, what was the actual number, it could be one PPM more than 650,000 years ago, or a million ppm, and

Ice. Cores.

thank you for saying "ice cores". I assume that is part of a recipe for snow cones? Because otherwise your response doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

That entire 20 minutes it took to tweet. I think most of us have bigger concerns on where the government may or may not be wasting government time and resources.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Or how about this one:

How does a mouse eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: 123143

Ice. Cores.

thank you for saying "ice cores". I assume that is part of a recipe for snow cones? Because otherwise your response doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

You could google it. It is not a recipe for snow cones. I will let the person you replied to explain. lol

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Or how about this one:

How does a mouse eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Thank you, Yoda. A master philosopher you are.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Just days after The National Park Service (NPS) was forced to shut down its Twitter activity over two retweets the Department of the Interior deemed inconsistent with the agency’s mission, the Twitter account for Badlands National Park in South Dakota seems to have gone rogue, tweeting numerous scientific facts about climate change that have since been deleted.

The first tweet about climate science came at 11:40 a.m. local time Tuesday. It said: “The pre-industrial concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere was 280 parts per million (ppm). As of December 2016, 404.93 ppm.”

Source

With the Trump administration clamping down on official social media accounts (no hypocrisy there) it would appear that someone out at Badlands National Park decided to go rogue. Starting this afternoon their official Twitter account started tweeting climate change facts. Unfortunately these tweets have since been deleted.

Personally I find this hilarious. Someone decided the current administration's orders were ridiculous and they decided to take matters into their own hands. Unfortunately the park as a whole will probably suffer for this if not the Parks Service as a whole.

bet you were against wikileaks......this is no different

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Source

bet you were against wikileaks......this is no different

It is no different. I think it is actually even more nervy. More useful and to the point, too. They didn' dump 19 million pages of climate information on us. I don't think the OP was saying it was wrong, only noting that, as a side effect, the NPS or BadlandsNPS may be punished. I think the NPS already was. The OP has gone offline, so I will say I don't think they were saying it was wrong.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I think the "Tweets" may have been trigger material to keep people off base.

It's working.

Now the big argument is back to CO2.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Did someone say something?

on second thought I bet the russians tweeted it

edit on 24/1/2017 by shooterbrody because: dems haz 2faces

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join