It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Fidget Away the Fat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
In a surprising study by the Mayo Clinic, researchers have come to the conclusion that the secret to fighting fat may not be in regular trips to the gym -- it may be in fidgeting and pacing. Researchers determined that a change as small as 350 calories a day could spell the difference between trim and chubby, and that those calories can easily be burned by people who are naturally restless without the need for jogging or lifting weights. Study participants wore specially designed underwear-like suits that recorded their every movement 24 hours a day. The thinner participants tended to tap their feet, wiggle in their chairs, pace, and generally fidget significantly more than their larger counterparts.

www.npr.org
Researchers at the Mayo Clinic carefully tracked the movements and calorie-intake of 10 obese and 10 thin study participants. They found that overweight people burned 350 fewer calories a day because they sat for 150 minutes more a day than did thin people, who tended to be more fidgety during their daily activities.

Those findings suggest that making small changes to daily activities -- by tapping your toes, wiggling or otherwise expending more restless energy -- could be critical to weight loss.

The study, led by Dr. Jim Levine of the Mayo Clinic, was designed to examine the role of NEAT -- "non-exercise activity thermogenesis," or calories burned during the activities of daily living -- in obesity. Levine says the implications from the study are clear: get moving.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Mayo Clinic study provides a positive outlook for the gym-phobic. If you're fighting the battle of the bulge, an easy addition to your daily routine may just be making an effort to move around more. Tap your feet, get up from your chair or couch periodically and walk around, or just bounce around in your chair. It might make your jeans fit a little better.

Regular aerobic exercise is still recommended for a healthy heart and lungs, regardless of the study's findings. A healthy diet low in cholesterol and saturated fats is also key to one's overall well-being. You can't fidget your arteries clear.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Wow....I can see it now! A T.V. commercial selling pamplets and video tapes to people to tell them to fidget all day.

Who will try it first?

But in all seriousness, I don't think that will be enough for a lot of people. Nothing can replace eating healthy and exercising regularly.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Hmmm, this comes from "The Mayo Clinic"...One of the Fattiest condiments on the market today. I work in a Kitchen for about 12 hours a day, constantly running around in the heat, and I do not seem to lose any weight. I'm always fidgeting around, and I do not Pick on things or eat most of the day.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Hmmm...i wonder what happened to me when i worked at a pharmacy running around all the time, just me and the pharmacist (God love him) and it was then that i gained 20 pounds? I sit all the time now and i lost the weight.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I think it was most likely the crack the fidgety ones were on that dropped the weight. That's my speculation. We'll see.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I fidget a lot and I'm pretty skinny but I also work out and eat relatively healthy...

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
I think it was most likely the crack the fidgety ones were on that dropped the weight. That's my speculation. We'll see.

THats too funny! LOL!

More reasons for your boss to make your life miserable. "i'm only doing this for your own good son. DOnt you know being restless can help you lose weight?"

[edit on 29-1-2005 by I_s_i_s]

new topics

top topics

join