It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are all elections as controversial as this one?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Now before you go off and say "Trump did this or HIllary did that". I do not want that type of discussion. I don't care about who you support or hate. I have made my own decisions regarding all of that. I am young and have never experienced an election, until now. I know how corrupt and misleading the media, politicians, agencies, and various others parties involved in the government and politics can be. I was too young and not mature enough to understand how the real world worked when Obama , Bush or Clinton were in office. Hell I barely can grasp it now, but I like to think I am a little wiser than most people who buy into it all, and I assume you are too, that is why we are on this site (besides the obvious trolls). We all enjoy thinking. Thinking outside the box. We like to question things and look for the truth in them. That is why after many years of lurking this site and many others I decided to join.

I know some people will use my age as a way to brush me off that's okay. I will admit I do not have the experience or wisdom that other older member's have here. My question is are all elections as controversial as this one? It just seems like America is crazy right now. Lots of issues have popped up or gained more traction than usual it seems to me, but maybe you can clarify that. I mean issues and stuff like abortion, racism, corruption, blatant lying or dirty tricks by politicians and the media, Isis, and just tensions rising all over the world. Is it just a coincidence that all of this stuff is going on around election time? Have past elections been so crazy? Is this normal or does it look like this is just the way things are going to be? lol and just because I know someone will point out that both sides of the media or political parties pull of things, I am aware, it just seems like now they are either getting caught more or they dont care anymore
edit on 22-1-2017 by that1lurker because: clarification

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Are all elections as controversial as this one?

I think the Bush/Gore election was the most.

Hell it's been 17 years and people still whine about it.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: that1lurker

I will admit I do not have the experience or wisdom that other older member's

My advice would be not to mistake age for wisdom. I've met young people who are incredibly wise, and I've met old people who are incredibly ignorant.

That being said, each election is controversial in its own way, but this election has been especially controversial. This election is a situation that has been building for 40 or 50 years, and it has finally come to a head. Americans are still trying to find a way to put to rest racial prejudices which have been ingrained into our culture. Combine this issue with the massive wage gap, and it's just a recipe for disaster. The more people suffer (police brutality, poverty, racism, etc.), the more volatile the rhetoric becomes. If this president fails to alleviate that suffering, you can expect the next election to be even worse.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Only some.
1876 got closer to a civil war scenario than this one did.
Elections and secret deals

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Like Neo alluded to, IMO, the most controversial elections are when Democrats lose - like Gore losing to Bush and now this one where Hillikileaks and Obamas dodgy DNC lost the election to President Trump, and the DNC had things rigged in their favour on multiple fronts and still lost, to Donald Trump.

It should therefore be painfully obvious why butthurt DNC is butthurt and resorting to popularity contest because Obananas inauguration had more duped and deceived folks turn up.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
My earliest memory of a controversial election was 1964 when Barry Goldwater ran against LBJ...the left painted him as a clear and present danger to the world if he had the nuclear option......
Ronald Reagan suffered the same smears from the left during his first run.....if he has the nuclear option we are doomed.
Richard Nixon was just a miserable SOB and managed to beat McGovern (a Bernie Sanders liberal) during a time when the counter-culture was strong and the Viet Nam war was in full swing reference; Chicago Democratic Convention.
Now we have Trump being labeled a danger if he has the nuclear option....are you starting to see a pattern here?
edit on 22-1-2017 by WilliamtheResolute because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Every four years we have this, with natural fluctuations of intensity. This is catharic for us. And even more importantly it allows each set of swine ( politicians ) a turn at the trough. And just as importantly, every four years there is a resurgence of hope for those who are aligned with the " winning" side.

What is unexplainable is that no one notices that all the swine just rotate though on a regular basis while the masses keep getting thinner.

Read up on the innauguration of Andrew Jackson.

Over and over and over. Thats why we always think we'll kick the football through and score, And some " Lucy" pulls it away every time.

VF

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
You know, its been such a long time since we had one here in the UK that I can't remember.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Americas elections are mostly as controversial as the media wants them to be

That doesn't worry me what we should all be concern about, is the amount of vitriol, violence and dissent that is starting to take hold after elections.

That is un-American.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I think now with social media, 24 hour news cycle, instant video uploads, live streams, instant updates, all from anyone who has a smart phone, it makes it seem like it's on a larger scale.

I think it's just easier to hear more people complain or cheer.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
This election has been the worst . Protests (meaning rioting) are prevalent . The pure insanity of following and the refusal to look at facts over a failed 8 year President has taken it toll . The Dems have lost all kinda elections across the country due to this

Democratic losses since 2008

If the Left continues with the self-destruction and implosion the trend will continue in 2018 . My projections , look for the Independents to flourish as more center of the road Dems leave the failing Party .This is what we have been seeing in the recent past and especially in this Presidential Election. The Republicans didnt elect Trump as much as the center leaning Dems did.

To sum it up : either the Democratic Party stops the insanity and concentrates on their true "blue" demographics or they fall to the level of the Independent Party of today and the Independent Party become true contenders .

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It's just another example of the world we presently live in. People see it a their given right to whinge and moan just like they do on social media. People love the fake news, believe everything they hear because "it was on the news" and create a problem because of it.

The media also love it, feeding the masses with complete BS.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
They started get bad after bush/gore and gone downhill since to the circus thats called elections today .
edit on 22117 by VengefulGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: that1lurker
Now before you go off and say "Trump did this or HIllary did that". I do not want that type of discussion. I don't care about who you support or hate. I have made my own decisions regarding all of that. I am young and have never experienced an election, until now. I know how corrupt and misleading the media, politicians, agencies, and various others parties involved in the government and politics can be. I was too young and not mature enough to understand how the real world worked when Obama , Bush or Clinton were in office. Hell I barely can grasp it now, but I like to think I am a little wiser than most people who buy into it all, and I assume you are too, that is why we are on this site (besides the obvious trolls). We all enjoy thinking. Thinking outside the box. We like to question things and look for the truth in them. That is why after many years of lurking this site and many others I decided to join.

I know some people will use my age as a way to brush me off that's okay. I will admit I do not have the experience or wisdom that other older member's have here. My question is are all elections as controversial as this one? It just seems like America is crazy right now. Lots of issues have popped up or gained more traction than usual it seems to me, but maybe you can clarify that. I mean issues and stuff like abortion, racism, corruption, blatant lying or dirty tricks by politicians and the media, Isis, and just tensions rising all over the world. Is it just a coincidence that all of this stuff is going on around election time? Have past elections been so crazy? Is this normal or does it look like this is just the way things are going to be? lol and just because I know someone will point out that both sides of the media or political parties pull of things, I am aware, it just seems like now they are either getting caught more or they dont care anymore

No , even some old timers I have talked to have said it was hands down the craziest in history.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSensible

I will admit I do not have the experience or wisdom that other older member's

My advice would be not to mistake age for wisdom. I've met young people who are incredibly wise, and I've met old people who are incredibly ignorant.

That being said, each election is controversial in its own way, but this election has been especially controversial. This election is a situation that has been building for 40 or 50 years, and it has finally come to a head. Americans are still trying to find a way to put to rest racial prejudices which have been ingrained into our culture. Combine this issue with the massive wage gap, and it's just a recipe for disaster. The more people suffer (police brutality, poverty, racism, etc.), the more volatile the rhetoric becomes. If this president fails to alleviate that suffering, you can expect the next election to be even worse.

I think it had way more to do with an arrogant democrat establishment thinking they could get past hillary clintons negatives.

Bernie stomps trump, hell anyone not hillary beats trump.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: that1lurker
Have past elections been so crazy?

Past Elections have been worse.

Much much worse.

President Hoover called out the Guard and they used tanks to push the protesters out of D.C.

www.eyewitnesstohistory.com...

WWI Tanks and cavalry prepare to
evacuate the Bonus Army
July 28, 1932

On May 15, 1924, President Calvin Coolidge vetoed a bill granting bonuses to veterans of World War I, saying: "patriotism... bought and paid for is not patriotism." Congress overrode his veto a few days later, but the money was slow in coming. Very slow. And the Depression was in full swing.

Veterans marched to D.C. Camped out and waited for their money.

Members of the Bonus Army camped out on the lawn of the U.S. Capitol building

en.wikipedia.org...

And this was an election year. After what followed Roosevelt was elected to his first of three terms. Using a phrase many still remember to this day. "The new Deal."

Starving men fought with the Police.

Hoover was not reelected.
He created jobs for thousands.
Built the dam.
Was strong on Law and Order,
but in the end, suffering caused by corrupt banking was laid at his feet.

Roosevelt was a strong friend to banking.

edit on 22-1-2017 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Ah!

Left right, left right. As we all march off to war?

Give it some time, the Republicans may still have egg on their face yet, maybe the kitchen sink too.

Ultimately it's you the people who'll lose out or god forbid win... Like that ever really happens?

Yes OP, they all have controversy. They all have the same kinda partisan oneupmanship that eventually gets cringeworthy.

Eventually you get jaded or go with the crap flow, that's my surmise of it... Promises tend to get broken and we learn to live on excrement, then you'll always have some loafer willing to tell you it's the other guy's fault.

Rinse and repeat.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Good to know we have been through some similar times. I agree social media plays a huge part in making it seem crazier.

top topics

join