It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The unknown that binds us

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
So to get right to it, I woke up middle of the night to a text saying I had no work today. Weather affects my employment and since the new year, we have had a lot of it. So, I worry.
But I haven't been consciously bothered by it until last night.

Now there are many nights that I either vaguely remember dreams or have no recollection at all.
When I do remember the premise of a dream, it tends to be extremely detail oriented as well as carry on for some time, often warping into an entirely different dream.
Last night's dream was extremely detailed and strange.
As a new homeowner, I sometimes worry what if there's a time I can't afford the steep mortgage, very normal. But this wouldn't be an immediate concern due to a nice savings account, at the moment, but when you pay over $2000 a month, can wash away rather fast.
Anyway, that's the reason behind last night.

What is wigging me out has nothing to do with the dream, the context or my immediate employment situation. Its the fact that what I'm experiencing is played out in an irrelevant dream in a context that people around the world dream the same exact symbolism for the same exact reason yet the symbol has nothing to do with said circumstance.

The dream:

Somehow I am living on the street, it's night, I'm sitting against a wall in an alley. My two front bottom teeth are loose and this is not a surprise to me in the dream. O just calmly pull the two out, one by one, so now I'm bleeding. But it's not much blood. Somehow I end up in some man's living room where other people are shacked up obviously paying couple dollars to crash here.
One of the guys tells me to leave early if I have no money to pay. Too late, the owner asks me for money I tell him my situation and explain I own a home(don't know why). He doesn't believe me.

Then it gets fuzzy, I'm trying to get to my car, there's a problem, some sort of car chase yet my car is blocked in...
It goes from being scene-to-scene reality then suddenly vague and choppy not making sense.
I wake up.

Now losing teeth is a universal sign of disappointment. The fact I wasn't surprised in the dream means I expected this disappointment. I did not know this last night.

Now how could my subconscious react exactly as millions other people to the same exact life situation or anxiety without having a preconcept that losing teeth in a dream means dissappointment?
That's mind blowing.
I did some reading on the subject to come away extremely dissatisfied and questioning the modern take on dreams.

I believe this life is real and not a simulation.
But with small occurences like this, it sure does leave myself open to accept a lot more.
Thanks for reading.

What are some of your thoughts on the origin of dream symbolism connections?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
how old are you in the dream?

those details will tell you what's going on. It might meant he way you are selling trends is not adding up to being a responsible adult in the eyes of others.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: VinylTyrant

On topic / off topic? no idea but i concluded "On" due to the colour.

2 nights ago, i had a dream proclaiming that Robins (the bird) were now extinct. Have not looked into this as i normally "don't do" dreams or their supposed meanings

Did find it weird the following morning though, when i saw two Robins in my garden then had instant recall of the dream

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: metalholic
how old are you in the dream?

those details will tell you what's going on. It might meant he way you are selling trends is not adding up to being a responsible adult in the eyes of others.
the dream is present time.
Losing teeth in a dream is a universal symbol for a personal disappointment.
The point of the op is not the dream itself.

How do all people know subconsciously that when we experience a disappointment in life to play it out in a dream where we lose teeth?
It seems impossible when reality has nothing to do with fantasy but there is an undeniable relationship based in fact that cannot be explained fully.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor
a reply to: VinylTyrant

On topic / off topic? no idea but i concluded "On" due to the colour.

2 nights ago, i had a dream proclaiming that Robins (the bird) were now extinct. Have not looked into this as i normally "don't do" dreams or their supposed meanings

Did find it weird the following morning though, when i saw two Robins in my garden then had instant recall of the dream
I never pay much mind, either. But I got the bad news about 2am. Fell back to sleep, then had a dream which I read means disappointment. The fact I pulled the loose teeth out non chalantly means I expected said disappointment.
How do different people's brain perceive the same emotion the same way with irrevelant symbols. People the world round having the same symbol in a dream meaning the same thing. Its crazy.

Do you see robins often? You just may like seeing them and projected them while sleeping.
edit on 17-1-2017 by VinylTyrant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I have 2 pair living in or around my rear garden, feed them everyday but, strangely enough, although i know what they were, i never paid any attention to them, they were just another bird in the collection of visitors, get lots of garden birds this time of year, summer its mainly House Sparrows
edit on 2017-01-17T13:06:48-06:002017Tue, 17 Jan 2017 13:06:48 -0600bTuesday0601America/Chicago171 by corblimeyguvnor because: strange formatting, re-quoted

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I always thought that losing or having your teeth break is a sign that you feel some aspect of your life is out of your control.

If you've been losing work to weather and you are worried about your savings being drained, well there you are. You can't control the weather and that's out of your control but you worry about it anyway.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I always thought that losing or having your teeth break is a sign that you feel some aspect of your life is out of your control.

If you've been losing work to weather and you are worried about your savings being drained, well there you are. You can't control the weather and that's out of your control but you worry about it anyway.
my current situation is nothing new and I know is only temporary. Researching losing teeth you will see it's a symbol of loss of control and maybe as what you point out can be a part of it.

The reason I wrote the op was not to understand the dream.

How can our separate minds collectively use the same symbols in played out dreams to represent the same emotion.
Why would my mind associate losing teeth with loss of control the same as yours might or anyones would? There's many different ways we could play that out but it's a known phenomenon that dream symbols represent certain emotions or experiences universally.

When I woke I knew exactly what triggered the dream but it wasn't until I read about the symbolism of it that got me questioning how could the mental links be possible?

edit on 17-1-2017 by VinylTyrant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The answer seems rather obvious to me. We are all the same species. Therefore such symbolism was a property of all of our common ancestor and, must have worked or otherwise been useful so it stuck around. We have been dreaming long, long before we were human.reply to: VinylTyrant

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: AtheAlmightyOne
The answer seems rather obvious to me. We are all the same species. Therefore such symbolism was a property of all of our common ancestor and, must have worked or otherwise been useful so it stuck around. We have been dreaming long, long before we were human.reply to: VinylTyrant

not saying you're wrong, it just seems like an overly simplistic way of looking at it. I was thinking more on the line of how it would mentally be possible for people to dream the same symbolism to represent the same similar experience when our mind isn't bound to the same interpretation. The fact there's a decent dictionary of dream symbolism where certain symbols are more strongly defined and widely shared without this behavior of thought ever being taught is far from obvious.

It would be easy to see why when any human touches boiling water it burns is so we pull away.
To have a thought on your mind and while sleeping have it's effect on you played out in some elaborate story using symbolism the same as would be used for many people feeling the same reaction to a thought is at this point in time unexplainable.
Interesting to say the least.

new topics

top topics

join