It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damaged undersea cable disrupts internet service in Vietnam

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   

The cable has encountered frequent breaks and outages since its entry into service in late 2009. Most of the outages are located at the intra-Asia segments between Hong Kong and Singapore, while the segment between Hong Kong and the Philippines seems to have less problems. The segments between the Philippines and the U.S. are quite stable.

www.amchamvietnam.com... rupts-internet-service-in-vietnam/

I have lived in the US, Philippines, China, and now Vietnam. I have never experienced and internet outage like this. Three days ago, the internet went out here in Ho Chi Minh. Now, the internet is ok, but still slow and showing problems, it goes off and on.

I thought about this at first, as it was just a provider issue. I was told that there was a main internet cable damaged. I didn't think much of it. But, then, when I got back online I researched.

The problem was an underwater cable. According to the article, it states that the cable has been having problems since it's creation in 2009, but it also states that it is the same line going to the Philippines. I never had problems in the Philippines with this type of problem.

I left the Philippines, now in Vietnam and now this is a problem. The internet goes out.

I first thought China was behind this. Then, I got to thinking. China doesn't have what this requires. This requires divers going out of a submarine and affecting the cable.

The main point is the cable. It just does what it is supposed to: submit data. The cable is always fine in the Philippines, but now here in Vietnam, the internet just crashes. A cable shouldn't do that.

It is the same cable that goes through the Philippines and to here in Vietnam. In the Philippines, the cable always works.

I remember the internet cut in the middle east. That was done by the US.

So, what is really going on here?

edit on 15/1/2017 by ArMaP because: correct title

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Umm. I am currently in the Philippines, and the internet is not always as great as you imply. Globe DSL, in Alfonso, Luzon.

ETA; I am not certain that the issue is actually with the local infrastructure, or the main back bone. But about monthly I have days of no service-service. Meaning the lights are all saying i'm connected yet no connection, just a bunch of wheels spinning. By the time I get a serviceman out here, the problem does not show it's head, and I can only request so many of these service calls before they get irritated, as I am.
edit on 1/15/2017 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: gator2001

I think China has the ability along with Russia and the US. Whats interesting is Vietnam just announced they would settle their sea dispute with China outside of international bodies. Russia also approached Vietnam about access to their bases, after the US started discussions about using some.

China, Vietnam pledge to settle differences over South China Sea claims

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

The current President of the Philippines is starting to get snugly with China. Even amidst of the territorial disputes between them, so I doubt they have any reason to mess with our internet

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: jappee
Umm. I am currently in the Philippines, and the internet is not always as great as you imply. Globe DSL, in Alfonso, Luzon.

Yes. I agree that the internet in the Philippines is not the best. They are pretty much the worst in terms of speed and service. Globe is horrible. I used them, but then got PDLT as a landline service.

That isn't the point of this thread. Did the Philippines experience an internet outage? No. Vietnam did. You actually confirm my point. The same line that goes through the Philippines and to Vietnam was only interrupted going to Vietnam. The Philippines was fine.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:31 AM
link   
A lot of the time you will find that a ship has dragged its anchor over it and damaged it.

The cable is severed close to Vietnam, so wont affect other countries www.submarinecablemap.com...#/submarine-cable/asia-america-gateway-aag-cable-system

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   

I'm jealous. I am outside of PLDT territory, as they have better service and bandwith. I am actually very lucky to have a landline at all. Most people use cell based hotspot devices, or a point to point wifi antenna on their roofs. they will attest the signal is bad.

I paid for half a kilometer of wire and poles for it...necessities.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Yes...I used Globe and it sucks. I eventually got a landline with PLDT and it was somewhat better. I am not talking about the internet in the Philippines.

Actually, you proved my point: the internet in the Philippines is still working. The same cable that goes through the Philippines to here in Vietnam is somehow broken. You think about that.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: orgncpndmc

A dragged anchor sounds culpable.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Yup we're both online posting...

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: orgncpndmc
A lot of the time you will find that a ship has dragged its anchor over it and damaged it.

The cable is severed close to Vietnam, so wont affect other countries www.submarinecablemap.com...#/submarine-cable/asia-america-gateway-aag-cable-system

But has that actually happened? It is a nice idea, but it seems that would happen all the time.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   

The current President of the Philippines is starting to get snugly with China. Even amidst of the territorial disputes between them, so I doubt they have any reason to mess with our internet

I never mentioned the Philippines being involved.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Yup we're both online posting...

This happened 3 days ago. The internet is still kind of iffy now. If you have nothing constructive to say, then leave the thread.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Someone implied China being involved. But i see your point.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Yes SIR! /sarc

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

I think China has the ability along with Russia and the US. Whats interesting is Vietnam just announced they would settle their sea dispute with China outside of international bodies. Russia also approached Vietnam about access to their bases, after the US started discussions about using some.

China, Vietnam pledge to settle differences over South China Sea claims

Yes...that is what I am getting at. I think it is China or the US to do something to provoke here. I think there is more to it than we can see.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   

My opinion - it rests with China or Russia. The US has access to many bases in the region. The only 2 countries pissed about that are China and Russia.
edit on 15-1-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Someone implied China being involved. But i see your point.

It might not be. Look at it. The same cable that goes through that region goes to the Philippines. It is unaffected. The same cable goes to Vietnam, which is cut off. You tell me? Why Vietnam, but not the Philippines?

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Or a nation state was trying to lay a cable tap and goofed it up.

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

My opinion - it rests with China or Russia. The US has access to many bases in the region. The only 2 countries pissed about that are China and Russia.

I thought about that and you might be right. The problem I have with that is why was the cable cut off going only to Vietnam? Why not cut it further at the point where the Philippines are cut off, too?

Who is an ally of the US in Asia?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join