It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study finds single women of color most likely to receive financial assistance for abortion

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Abortions are expensive and the older the baby is the more expensive the abortion is. A study found that single women of color are most likely needing financial assistance to pay for an abortion.

Abortion fund patients who get aid to help pay for abortions are younger and more likely to be African-American when compared to general abortion patients in the U.S., according to the findings of a study just published online in the journal Social Work in Health Care.

These patients receive more than $1,000 in aid on average to pay for procedures that would otherwise be unaffordable, given their limited resources

“The patients in this study are trying to fund procedures that can cost over $2,000 on average, while they report having about $500 of their own resources to contribute to the procedure. These are vulnerable patients who are piecing together funding from a variety of sources,” says Gretchen Ely, associate professor in the School of Social Work.

There is a fund that helps pay for abortions, and they feel public health policy should be picking up these costs. The study also says that the "women" are actually young adolescents. I wounder who the fathers are and if they are over the age of 17?

“These abortion funds are filling in where public health policy should be picking up the costs,” Ely says.

She analyzed nearly 4,000 NNAF case records between 2010 and 2015, and compared the data with the demographics from the Abortion Surveillance Report, which collects data on the national level from abortion patients.

The results suggest that women who couldn’t afford an abortion and received funding to pay for their procedures were more likely to be single, young adolescent or African-American — populations that also sought to fund expensive procedures performed later in the pregnancy, averaging about $2,000, but received about half that in aid.

Many women are on Medicaid, if funds were available to everyone the women or adolescences wouldn't have to piece together funding, this takes time and again, the older the baby, the more expensive the abortion becomes.

www.buffalo.edu...
A good many people who need abortion services are already using Medicaid,” she says. “If funds were available to everyone, they would not have to piece together financing, which would promote access to very early, less-expensive, first-trimester abortions.”

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Its sad that people are using a system like Medicaid to help fund their baby killing. Excluding rape victims, people just need to grow up and start actually taking care of the children they decide to have. Not rely on the taxpayer to fund their sex lives and not misuse government programs that are suppose to be there for people in need.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Im no God botherer so I have no issue with abortion and in the cases your talking about abortion may be the cheaper long term option for the state if its likely the young single mother will be unable to support herself or her child.

Whats $2000 as a once off when compared to $20000+ a year for 20 years in benefits for the both of them.

Id add the caveat that if you seek a 2nd abortion it comes with a free tube tying and no more free abortions should you refuse it
edit on 10/1/2017 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

Did you even read the OP? They're not using Medicaid to pay for abortions. They're using organizations like the NNAF to help fund their abortions. Last time I checked the NNAF wasn't the government.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Did you even read the OP? They're not using Medicaid to pay for abortions. They're using organizations like the NNAF to help fund their abortions. Last time I checked the NNAF wasn't the government.

Yep, I read it and stick by what I said.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

The story is a bit misleading, but they said they were on Medicaid, and the obvious view is to have Medicaid pay for the abortions. But they are presently piecing together the $$$ to pay for them without Medicaid.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

What's that Adam Savage line? "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

What's that Adam Savage line? "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

People are using Medicaid to fund abortions whether you want to admit it or not. It is a fraudulent act, but it happens. To deny that just shows ignorance.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
First one should be free and the second time you get neutered, or you're legs sewn shut

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Prove it.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ColaTesla

Because nothing says Fourth Reich like forced sterilization and a policy of eugenics directed at a certain demographic.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Prove it.

According to these audits, many of the services that were overbilled or improperly submitted under Medicaid were related to abortion care, including pre-abortion exams and counseling, the Institute added. This practice is known as “unbundling” or “fragmentation,” and is often used as a way to bill the federal government for services related to an abortion procedure as a shady (and likely illegal) way around the Hyde Amendment, which prohibits federal funding for abortions.

“In New York alone during one four-year audit period, it appeared that hundreds of thousands of abortion-related claims were billed unlawfully to Medicaid,” the report detailed.

If the percentage of overbilling found in these 61 audits were applied to the entire Medicaid program as a whole, “it would amount to $42.5 billion in overbilling, and an extra $13.3 billion in waste, abuse, and potential fraud of taxpayer dollars,” Charlotte Lozier calculated.

New Report Reveals Millions in Medicaid Fraud By the Abortion Industry

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

so.... you're against women who lives are in jeopardy getting medicaid assistance to save their lives??
which, depending on how young these adolescent kids are, probably should be put into that category automatically!

but, some are trying to get medicaid to pay for abortions, and I would guess that this article here is just a method they are using to get it. now it's racist not to have it included in medicaid... okay! well just try real hard to forget the fact that their are many poor white kids who get pregnant and might need assistance if they want an abortion also.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

while they report having about $500 of their own resources to contribute to the procedure.

I wish I had an extra 500 bucks to burn. I think I forgot to mail out my White Privilege registration card.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

It is an interesting subject because I keep hearing over the years and just this morning on the radio, that our Western societies help to foster the suppressive narrative that poor, young women (adolescents in reality - and boys) of color should not expect to become successful nor in any way become leaders. With this narrative in place for them, many young women do not even bother to strive to reach any higher goals they may have dreamed for themselves. Hence, they end up dropping out of school and becoming young mothers.

Keep in mind, very young girls that become pregnant are manipulated from all sides to have abortions, and may have been manipulated into a sexual relationship that they were most likely ill-prepared to manage.

Here's an interesting article for those interested.

aeon.co...
edit on 10-1-2017 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2017 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

so.... you're against women who lives are in jeopardy getting medicaid assistance to save their lives??
which, depending on how young these adolescent kids are, probably should be put into that category automatically!

but, some are trying to get medicaid to pay for abortions, and I would guess that this article here is just a method they are using to get it. now it's racist not to have it included in medicaid... okay! well just try real hard to forget the fact that their are many poor white kids who get pregnant and might need assistance if they want an abortion also.

Yes I'm against abortions unless the woman was raped...period. So you think I'm racist now? Go figure

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

no, don't believe that is what I said... I said that some want to have medicaid pay for abortions, all abortions...
and this article seems to want to make it into a racial issue... like we're somehow discriminating against minority races if we don't fund all abortions.
there are some instances when medicaid will pay for abortion, of which I do believe both rape and the women's life and health are some... along with maybe even fetal defects. and I am sorry, but if I had to drop one of the three that have been listed here, I would rather drop the healthy rape victim who is having a healthy pregnancy than leave a women dying from a pregnancy gone wrong.. after all what good is having medicaid if it's first priority isn't to save lives???
why can't the prolife people just be happy that they've managed to get abortion removed from most of the insurance policies in some states... sometimes with no exceptions for the well being of the mother?

do you really see more value in the life of a fetus, of which unless it has reached the point of viability, will die with the mother anyways, that you are willing to see women dying due to lack of money??

edit on 10-1-2017 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
$500 bucks!

$2000 bucks!

Just remember folks.

A box of condoms costs less than $10.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
“These abortion funds are filling in where public health policy should be picking up the costs,” Ely says.

rubbers are already free

pay for your own medical procedures

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

no, don't believe that is what I said... I said that some want to have medicaid pay for abortions, all abortions...
and this article seems to want to make it into a racial issue... like we're somehow discriminating against minority races if we don't fund all abortions.
there are some instances when medicaid will pay for abortion, of which I do believe both rape and the women's life and health are some... along with maybe even fetal defects. and I am sorry, but if I had to drop one of the three that have been listed here, I would rather drop the healthy rape victim who is having a healthy pregnancy than leave a women dying from a pregnancy gone wrong.. after all what good is having medicaid if it's first priority isn't to save lives???
why can't the prolife people just be happy that they've managed to get abortion removed from most of the insurance policies in some states... sometimes with no exceptions for the well being of the mother?

do you really see more value in the life of a fetus, of which unless it has reached the point of viability, will die with the mother anyways, that you are willing to see women dying due to lack of money??

I'm not prolife. My biggest issues with abortions is the fact that the father has no say in it, which directly affected me years back. The fact that many abortions only happen because they accidentally got pregnant is my problem with abortions, which outweighs any other circumstance for an abortion. On average less than 1 out of 10 abortions are for health issues or was raped. Just look up the statistics.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join