It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Home Planet, as Seen From Mars

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneBigMonkeyToo

originally posted by: 23432

originally posted by: swanne
a reply to: 23432

According to NASA, they enhanced the Moon separately from Earth because otherwise you wouldn't see the Moon (it's a pretty dark body).

Cute explanation but it shows that NASA [ Never A Straight Answer ] doesn't have the balls to disclose real Data for scrutiny.

Too dogmatic for my liking to be quite honest.

They show you a photograph, tell you exactly how it was taken and composed, and somehow this isn't good enough.

Good enough to be a dogma but not good enough to be a science I am afraid.
edit on 7-1-2017 by 23432 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
That's the kind of reminder it takes to make you realize just how puny we are, and it's only right next door. Awesome image, hands down

According to NASA, they enhanced the Moon separately from Earth because otherwise you wouldn't see the Moon (it's a pretty dark body).

Cute explanation but it shows that NASA [ Never A Straight Answer ] doesn't have the balls to disclose real Data for scrutiny.

I edit my moon shots to see landscape deets better, too. So the hell what?

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Love the photo- puts my silly problems into perspective.

Still though, would be nice if nasa posted the raw photo data for us to play with, eh?
I had a photography phase, and I'm a space nerd- so I know why they modified the data... but the raw stuff would be fun.

I wonder if they'd hand it out if someone asked real nicely?

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I enjoyed that and had a good chuckle at some of the comment's, Martian indeed, well ar'nt we all, except those from epsilon persei 4, seriously now that would be a strange sky, you would probably need a lot of light filter to see through that much light though AND rayban's and sun block would sell like hot cake's.

This is an image for the enthusiast's though it is a little too blurry to be poster quality, still very cool and show's the relative size of the earth to the moon and there distance apart very well as well as there distance apart from one another.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
That's the kind of reminder it takes to make you realize just how puny we are, and it's only right next door. Awesome image, hands down

You aren't claiming to be a scientist as far as I can tell.

Science can stand scrutiny all by itself but these pictures are not Science , they are just Art.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   

From the article linked in the OP.

For presentation, the exposures were processed separately to optimize detail visible on both Earth and the moon. The moon is much darker than Earth and would barely be visible if shown at the same brightness scale as Earth. The combined view retains the correct positions and sizes of the two bodies relative to each other.
The distance between Earth and the moon is about 30 times the diameter of Earth

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

From the article linked in the OP.

For presentation, the exposures were processed separately to optimize detail visible on both Earth and the moon. The moon is much darker than Earth and would barely be visible if shown at the same brightness scale as Earth. The combined view retains the correct positions and sizes of the two bodies relative to each other.
The distance between Earth and the moon is about 30 times the diameter of Earth

Thank you for your reply but it only confirms what i claim : " photoshop " .

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

So?...

Enhancing the Moon isn't a crime, isn't it?

I myself enhance the picture I take from the Moon so I can better see the details.

Raw image (mosaic) image I've taken of the Moon:

Same picture, contrast enhancement to 100%:

You're obviously not an astronomer.

edit on 7-1-2017 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

And how do you think mosaics are made? Picture editing ("photoshop"). Whenever you take a picture od something large but your camera is small, you've got to stitch the small pics together so that they form the bigger picture - a technique called mosaic. This technique is used all the time right here on Earth, when satellites take pictures of the ground so to generate maps. Are you saying that New York is fake because pictures taken of it have been stitched ("photoshopped") together when you look it up in Google Map?

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

So?...

Enhancing the Moon isn't a crime, isn't it?

I myself enhance the picture I take from the Moon so I can better see the details.

Raw image (mosaic) image I've taken of the Moon:

Same picture, contrast enhancement to 100%:

You're obviously not an astronomer.

You don't get paid by taxpayers to enhance your pictures i presume.

I am not asking much , just the raw data to be published with the photoshopped version , that's all.

No , i am not an astronomer but it's really not that difficult to be one , especially if one takes into account of what is the meaning of Astronomy :

astronomy (n.) c. 1200, from Old French astrenomie, from Latin astronomia, from Greek astronomia, literally "star arrangement," from astron "star" (see astro-) + nomos "arranging, regulating," related to nemein "to deal out" (see numismatic).

I would like to see the Raw Data so i can do a bit of Astronomy myself .

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Check HiRise homepage, maybe they've got the raw data in there somewhere. In scientific circles raw data is always preserved for data keeping and calibration stuff. It should still be around somewhere.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

did you just assume my home planet??????!!!!!!!!!!

jk

very cool picture

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

And how do you think mosaics are made? Picture editing ("photoshop"). Whenever you take a picture od something large but your camera is small, you've got to stitch the small pics together so that they form the bigger picture - a technique called mosaic. This technique is used all the time right here on Earth, when satellites take pictures of the ground so to generate maps. Are you saying that New York is fake because pictures taken of it have been stitched ("photoshopped") together when you look it up in Google Map?

Thank you for the explanation .

I do have Msc in MultiMedia Software Engineering and I do have " Darkroom " experience in Photography.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Hehe, me too (experience in photo, I mean). In fact I used to generate maps myself. Stitching is pretty addictive - it's like putting together a puzzle, it's pretty fun to do actually.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Check HiRise homepage, maybe they've got the raw data in there somewhere. In scientific circles raw data is always preserved for data keeping and calibration stuff. It should still be around somewhere.

Somehow i doubt it that they would have the raw data available for public consumption.

You do know that no Raw Data from Apollo missions remain , don't you ?

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Yeah, there's a reward in place to whomever might recover those tapes. Rumour is that it was lost when some civilian overwrote it.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Yeah, there's a reward in place to whomever might recover those tapes. Rumour is that it was lost when some civilian overwrote it.

yeah i heard those rumours but found them to be rather , ehm , conspiring .

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Awesome picture.

I can see my house!

Or at least, my continent..

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

You aren't claiming to be a scientist as far as I can tell.

Science can stand scrutiny all by itself but these pictures are not Science , they are just Art.

o.O It's a fricking picture of us from afar, touched up. Just what kind of spectacular science are you expecting out of it?

Why don't you mosey on over to the Astrophotography thread and try your "they're hiding something" line on them.

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Raw data can be found here:

Earth
hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

Moon
hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

You'll need this to view the images:

pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu...
edit on 7/1/17 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join