It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Home Planet, as Seen From Mars

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: 23432

Raw data can be found here:

Earth
hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

Moon

You'll need this to view the images:

pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu...

Very cool - how do you get the colour into it? I can get a B&W image but I can't work out how to add the colour information.

First attempt, just B&W:

edit on 7/1/2017 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: added image

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Another go, again in B&W only - I didn't spot the first time I looked at this image that the moon was also in there:

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneBigMonkeyToo
Very cool - how do you get the colour into it? I can get a B&W image but I can't work out how to add the colour information.

First attempt, just B&W:
NASA didn't say exactly but I presume what they did was combine the three frequencies which is what they usually do for "false-color images" like this. The file names are supposed to have the frequency information like this:

Name:
ppp_oooooo_tttt_ffff_c.IMG
ffff Filter/CCD designation:
RED0-RED9 - Red filter CCDs
IR10-IR11 – Near-Infrared filter CCDs
BG12-BG13 – Blue-Green filter CCDs

So I would guess they combined red near IR and blue-green using some kind of algorithm. I know they have done this in other cases but I'm not really sure here.

I think the reason they chose those particular frequencies is they provide more information about mineral composition than an ordinary color camera would so the ability to make accurate color images is not the primary objective. The colors do appear to be in the right ballpark, but not perfect as your comparison shows:

For reference, here's the view of Earth from the DSCOVR satellite on the same day:

I'm sure there are satellite images from Earth orbit out there too!

DSCOVR link: epic.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Another go, again in B&W only - I didn't spot the first time I looked at this image that the moon was also in there:

I see what they mean about the moon needing enhancement. It's pretty dark without it. I think it's the second darkest object in the solar system (considering planets and moons, not considering asteroids or comets).

edit on 201717 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

cute but no cigar

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: 23432

cute but no cigar
The original obviously showed an unnatural square box around the moon reflecting the enhancement NASA says they did, but what's your objection to this image? Looks OK to me. There's no square box around the moon like in the other image.

edit on 201717 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jan, 7 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Only earth looks like earth. Every other planet is dead, hostile, barren, when compared to earths blue marble looks.

Blue oceans of liquid water, white clouds of water vapor, an atmosphere, it looks alive.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Are the originals available, as you insisted they should be?

Having done some work on them yourself, do they show Earth and moon with the moon in the right place?

Do the features on the Earth show the same weather patterns as can be seen on another image of Earth taken on the same day?

The first image in your post is over-contrasted and shows all kinds of artifacts, so it must be fake right?

NASA posted an image, told you exactly how they composed it, turns out that when you look at the raw data they were telling the truth, you actually verify this yourself and you still have a problem with it?

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   

hey man...you unwittingly provided proof that Earth is not a sphere. Obviously the image shows it to be semi circled and flat

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur

originally posted by: 23432

cute but no cigar
The original obviously showed an unnatural square box around the moon reflecting the enhancement NASA says they did, but what's your objection to this image? Looks OK to me. There's no square box around the moon like in the other image.

Disruption in higher-order Fourier statistics but needs more work .

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Are the originals available, as you insisted they should be?

Having done some work on them yourself, do they show Earth and moon with the moon in the right place?

Do the features on the Earth show the same weather patterns as can be seen on another image of Earth taken on the same day?

The first image in your post is over-contrasted and shows all kinds of artifacts, so it must be fake right?

NASA posted an image, told you exactly how they composed it, turns out that when you look at the raw data they were telling the truth, you actually verify this yourself and you still have a problem with it?

Neil needs new glasses me thinks .

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Whatever. You obviously haven't understood his comment or the context of it.

I'm assuming you have no answer to the questions I put to you and are basing your opinions entirely on prejudice.

Meanwhile, for people who are actually bothered in finding out stuff, here's Stellarium's depiction of what should have been visible from Mars orbit at 07:30 GMT on 20/11/16 superimposed on the image I derived from the raw HiRise data:

edit on 8/1/2017 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: grammar

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

hey man...you unwittingly provided proof that Earth is not a sphere.

Or that only half of the Earth is sunlit at one time ... who knew ?

a reply to: intrptr

Only earth looks like earth. Every other planet is dead, hostile, barren, when compared to earths blue marble looks.

You know this because ?
Belief.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   

that's because the lightbulb that is over our heads is running around in circles only covering one area at the time

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   

nice photoshop .

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   

How about adding something to the thread instead of trolling and baiting?

I've provided the raw data that you so desperately wanted.

Put up or shut up.

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

How about adding something to the thread instead of trolling and baiting?

I've provided the raw data that you so desperately wanted.

Put up or shut up.

My contribution to this thread was to state that these images are photoshopped ; i don't really need to say anymore .

As for trolling or baiting , i think you are confusing due dilligence with something else .

As I stated already above that the raw data also shows disruption in higher-order Fourier statistics but it needs more work to be sure .

This being the ATS , do try to deny ignorance and don't buy into everything NASA puts out .

Do I need to convince users that NASA has a shady record in relation to " truth , nothing but the truth " ?

It's Above Top Secret for a reason otherwise it would have been Above Top Shilling .

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Yes it is. I'm quite good at Photoshop. I use it a lot. Use of Photoshop does not mean something is fake. The components of the image are genuine. I told you exactly how I made that image. If you want to replicate it and prove something isn't correct about it then why don't you just go ahead and do that. Somehow I don't think you'll bother.

Meanwhile, here is some more food for thought, here is an image from Stellarium for the same time of day but also including the day before and day after the one that is being shown here.

See if you can realise the significance of it:

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   

If they hadn't used separate images and stitched them together the Moon would not have shown up , they stated this.
Your assertion that the image is photoshopped implies that the image is fake , which in a way it is but only to enhance the view of both bodies together , both images are genuine but have had to be married together to achieve a coherent picture .

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   
India's KALPANA-1 meteorological satellite's view from 20/11/16

The distinctive cloud system off the south-west of Australia is clearly visible.

Source:
satellite.imd.gov.in...

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Australian satellite images from 20/11/16 - 3 images from this site:

www.rss.dola.wa.gov.au...

with info about the satellite itself:

www.rss.dola.wa.gov.au...

Again it is possible to identify the weather patterns around Australia in the Mars image. People serious about denying ignorance might want to check this satellite view with the image taken by the DSCOVR probe I posted earlier.

Everything matches. It's almost as if it was all genuine.

edit on 8/1/2017 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: added extra

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join