It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This friggen guy I work with...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
So I work at a call center here in AZ. I wont name any names of my company or the guy so don't ask.

Now this call center we do technical troubleshooting for an SaaS platform for businesses. We experience pretty high call volume daily. Currently I am on my lunch break which got cut down to 30 min today from my normal hour because of high call volume. As I type this we have 23 people waiting to speak with a rep about their issues (they have yet to speak with a live person) and the next person in line has been waiting 32 minutes. Ridiculous I know. My blood would be boiling if I was that person.

Back to the guy I work with lets call him Millennial Mike. Millennial Mike came in last month with a doctors note after working here less than 2 months (so he is not even qualified for STD or benefits.) This doctors note stated that he now has extreme anxiety after taking high call volumes here and it is detrimental to his health to continue taking so many calls. On average here we take 30 to 50 calls per day depending on how good you are.

My company ate this up!!!!! They said "awww poor baby you don't have to take as many calls as the rest of the floor of you don't want to." I have to maintain an average of 28 calls per month to keep my job. And now he doesn't have to conform to the same standard because of some bull crap. Currently as I write this there are still clients waiting over 30 min hold times and he is sitting right behind me playing Oregon Trail on his computer. They said he no longer has to take calls when he is feeling anxiety.

So guess what his average has been since? About 8 CPD. So hes getting paid right now to play games and listen to music while I bust my ass for the same pay.

Don't worry I already revamped my resume and have found a couple places to apply to. What doesw ATS think about this. Is he a genius or a POS? You know what my vote is.

If your wondering how I know all this confidential info its because he told me. We share a cubicle wall.
edit on 4-1-2017 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2017 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Change "Millenial Mike" to "Mediocre Mike" because that is all he will be. If you see a better opportunity, go and get it. Go where the money is. I've relocated 3 times to move up and better my situation.

Someone like that will never be able to use sympathy to attain respect and upward momentum. That is reserved for the people who bust their butts even if they know there is no "thank you" waiting for them.

I commend you for working in the industry you do, it is a tough one. It is also a shame that we are making exceptions for everyone that has an excuse but that is the world we live in.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

Oh man....well you can either assimilate to the new way of working and find a good doctor who will do the same for you or change jobs as you have suggested. I don't blame the people I blame the legal system and the scumbag lawyers who manipulate the system to slackers can get by...reminds me of the person who was burned by McDonald's coffee and won a huge settlement..

People suck when it comes to bleeding the system...

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I recommend you get a real job surrounded by real people. Something in construction perhaps...otherwise this is Office Space hilarity! Watch out for your Cornhole Bud!

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Go to Yuma and start building homes for the Canadian snow birds. They pay cash, and pay well.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Is millennial Mike a SJW type? I feel your pain. Any other details you can give us about him as far as the type of person/personality?

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ

Millennial Mike came in last month with a doctors note after working here less than 2 months (so he is not even qualified for STD or benefits.) This doctors note stated that he now has extreme anxiety after taking high call volumes here and it is detrimental to his health to continue taking so many calls.

In my day he would have been told *If you can't stand the heat get out of

the kitchen*

So guess what his average has been since? About 8 CPD. So hes getting paid right now to play games and listen to music while I bust my ass for the same pay

Hasn't he (the new breed of *special snowflakes*) just got the system sussed

to his lazy advantage? .... Poor thing!!!

What doesw ATS think about this. Is he a genius or a POS? You know what my vote is.

Unfortunately the world is filling up with these *special snowflakes* who only

understand *entitlement*

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Well, let me play devil's advocate here...

Suppose "Mike" really does have anxiety issues, wouldn't it be wiser for him to be relocated within the company structure?
You said you have to take 28 calls per month...if he's taking 8 calls per day, that would put him at 160 calls per month if my math is correct. Maybe it's just not adding up for me. Anyways, perhaps he is having those anxiety issues and needs to chill a little bit, or perhaps slow down and really concentrate on each call. Call centers can be pretty stressful...as you are the final stop along a path of frustration. Maybe this guy gets too personally involved? I hope this is just a stop along his career path and not a final destination.

It's none of my business, but you posted here and I'll say this: If he's really getting paid the same amount as you are, for doing less work, then it's time for you to move on and go where your efforts are truly appreciated.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
Is millennial Mike a SJW type? I feel your pain. Any other details you can give us about him as far as the type of person/personality?

He's a skinny, pale, rat looking thing that doesn't shower or trim his beard and wears flipflops even in 30 deg weather. I wouldn't label him as a SJW but he would need a safe space if someone ever criticized him.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I know your pain, I did 7 years working for A major telecom company, my average was 12 hours a day; and I had a baby.

I was surrounded by med noters' who claimed they had migraines, so they couldn't do overtime. My view of this was, wow, what idiots, I'll take an extra few hundred a week. All millennials' who complained about everything.

I got all the hard calls, crossed wires, billing, disconnects, repairs. I averaged about 130 calls a day, and I loved my job.

I know it sucks; but concentrate on what's good for you! There's always going to be slackers and liars out there. Just concentrate on your goals, and build yourself a nice resume.

Telecom companies pay well ... Verizon is a great company to work for, they used to have a call center in Tempe I believe; not sure if they are still there. Look into it.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

Well, let me play devil's advocate here...

Suppose "Mike" really does have anxiety issues, wouldn't it be wiser for him to be relocated within the company structure?
You said you have to take 28 calls per month...if he's taking 8 calls per day, that would put him at 160 calls per month if my math is correct. Maybe it's just not adding up for me. Anyways, perhaps he is having those anxiety issues and needs to chill a little bit, or perhaps slow down and really concentrate on each call. Call centers can be pretty stressful...as you are the final stop along a path of frustration. Maybe this guy gets too personally involved? I hope this is just a stop along his career path and not a final destination.

It's none of my business, but you posted here and I'll say this: If he's really getting paid the same amount as you are, for doing less work, then it's time for you to move on and go where your efforts are truly appreciated.

You need to have an average of 28 calls per day over an entire month. Sorry if I mislead you there.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

1. Did you know that you were applying to work in a high call volume environment when you signed up? No? then you have cause for complaint with your employer, not "this guy in the office"

2 Are you being asked to work time that you are not paid for? Yes? Then you have cause for your complaint with your employer, not "this guy in the ofice"

3 Are you being paid less than what was promised when you signed up? Yes? Then you have cause for your complaint with your employer, not "this guy in the office".

4. Are you currently "up" in the world? Meaning - are you healthy? Can you work to earn your own living? Why do you need someone who is not currently "up" in the world to be squashed on to make you a little more "up" then you are now?

Do you really know anything "about this guy in the office" or are you just suspecting that he is faking it? Anxiety is a real mental disability you know.

I think YOU are the snowflake. You don't know what disability is. Wait for it! It can happen in the blink of an eye. Lets hear you complain then that no one (including the employer will give you a break)/

Just know that when it happens to you (and it most likely will over a working period of 30 to 40 years) that you deserve what you give out. You deserve to be judged based solely on the other person's perceptions.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Call your state board of labor relations explain your situation. You might be surprised at the outcome.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I'd hate to see how Mike handled a job with real stress, eh?

Maybe your floor should get the soap bars and socks out.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I wouldnt worry, he wont be there very long, The company cant fire him because he's got a note that covers his ass, but rest assured, his days are numbered, Unless he's BFF''s with a manager they will have been looking for a reason to replace him 30 seconds after he handed over that note.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

He's a skinny, pale, rat looking thing that doesn't shower or trim his beard and wears flipflops even in 30 deg weather. I wouldn't label him as a SJW but he would need a safe space if someone ever criticized him.

Oh fun, something BS to pick apart.
Yeah, I don't think that was the personality deets you were being asked for. I'm married to a quiet office-swelling skinny 6 footer, who's rather pale in the winter for his pedigree. Summer's a different story though, he tans fast as hell, takes me twice the sun exposure of him to get the same level of summer tan going. So you can't really base much off low body fat and less pigmentation. The guy could be a naturally scrawny Irish descendant who burns like paper in the sun & thus avoids sun for all you know, nothing anyone can do for those cards dealt.

Out of curiosity, exactly how have you determined he doesn't shower? Smelled him nose at the neck or something? Boy, you'd assume much of me. I'm a perpetually sweaty, smelly girl, always have been. No matter the hygiene extremes or diet, I smell, brah, bland-ass food, soap & deodorant only does so much. The stuff living on me loves to off-gas as much as (if not more so) what I eat does (quick science factoid = most stink is bacterial in origin, and guess what you're covered in. Some types are difficult to get under control or eradicate, if ever) If he smells, it may not be him being just dirty.
Oiliness of hair or skin is also not a surefire indicator of dirtiness, also can speak from experience there. I have wrangled with a thick head of hair my entire life, and it loves to keep itself greased up. Short hair cuts, long, thinned out, normal, smorgasbord of shampoos, conditioners, products, lack thereof, etc. Trying to eliminate that scalp oil just produces more of it, its a paradox. He could be dealing with excess production due to trying to remove it, which, if you're the anxiety type, ain't helping said anxiety none.

And cool beans, mine also has beard he's growing out, so you could say that's untrimmed until it's trimmed. He only trims when areas are uneven, no tidy metrosexual manicured beard lines going on. Not that I care and not that I think anyone else would if he did. He doesn't mess with it much, and nobody complains any. Either you're the type that thinks border lines need to be totally manicured, or you don't like the length to begin with.

My husband's not cold tolerant, though, that's my specialty. Shorts, tanks and sandals in 30 degrees is NBD, winter weenies (I kid, sort of. Winter weenies) So making fun of the flipflops to me is LOL-worthy in it's own right.

Now that we've established book covers don't tell much about the story, can you tell anything deeper about him or is your beef mostly just that you don't like the way he looks and has a diagnosis you don't like?

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

In my day he would have been told *If you can't stand the heat get out of

the kitchen*

There are strict rules and guidelines to follow to make sure that anyone working in said kitchen does not experience heat in excess of the mediocre level that is clearly stipulated in the US and EU treaty of working in Kitchen appendix 7 note 4 regulatory notice of 2001..

RA
edit on 4-1-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

Oh man....well you can either assimilate to the new way of working and find a good doctor who will do the same for you or change jobs as you have suggested. I don't blame the people I blame the legal system and the scumbag lawyers who manipulate the system to slackers can get by...reminds me of the person who was burned by McDonald's coffee and won a huge settlement..

the macdonalds case was much worse than you think, that lady got 3rd degree burns in her pelvic region, she spent 8 days in the hospital while undergoing skin grafts, followed by 2 years of medical treatments......I she had every right to sue,,,the coffee was dangerously hot.... and macdonals had several opportunities to settle for much less...they were greedy en.wikipedia.org...'s_Restaurants
edit on 4-1-2017 by research100 because: added a word

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

This is rant. You have every right to rant. It also sounds as if you are under stress. Your lunch has been reduced, you can see a call board with calls waiting and highest wait time and you see a guy whom you preceive may be gaming the system.

I don't know what is wrong with 'this guy'. It seems the anxiety started after he took the job, or he is making it up. That is the part that isn't very important here.

Call centers an be very stressful with sometimes impossible production quotas, quality monitoring and constant pressure to increase the average calls taken per day or per hour. You can see there are problems. The scheduling is all wonky. I doubt this one guy has caused this.

You could think of some solutions and bring them to a manager. I started as a CSR in a large companuy and was promoted many times very quickly, it wasn't very long before I was in a supervisory capacity. It was because I came up with procedural ideas. They were always very welcome. One of my first suggestions were to hire some temporary staff from an agency, they cost more, but show up already vetted, back ground checked and with most of the necessary skills. They can be released when the call volumes gradually go down and one can be retained as hired. They took my advice on that and it became faster and, in the end, cheaper way to hire and to help the call stats.

You should STOP looking at the call board, ESPECIALLY on your lunch. At one point I would purposefully take my glasses off (I can see close up perfectly fine, when I took off my glases I could no longer clearly see the board). Work your calls dilligently and cheerfully, you will make your qoutas and be much more relaxed.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100

originally posted by: chrismarco

the macdonalds case was much worse than you think, that lady got 3rd degree burns in her pelvic region, she spent 8 days in the hospital while undergoing skin grafts, followed by 2 years of medical treatments......I she had every right to sue,,,the coffee was dangerously hot.... and macdonals had several opportunities to settle for much less...they were greedy en.wikipedia.org...'s_Restaurants

That is true. It wasn't the first time someone had been injured. McDonald's had been warned before that they were making the coffee much too hot and way above the temperature necessary to kill germs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join