It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rockette Says Inauguration Performance Is ‘An Issue Of Racism And Sexism’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
The rocketts are in a twist about performing at the inauguration. There are some women who wouldn't be comfortable around Trump and one called him a monster.

First news reports said that the Rockettes were forced to perform at the inauguration and some of the women were upset. Now it seems they can volunteer, but some fear for their jobs if they don't dance at the inauguration.
One brave Rockette is speaking out under a fake name and she says there is turmoil behind the scenes.

Initially, it was reported that some of the dancers were contractually obligated to perform at the ceremony, despite expressing that they did not want to. The Madison Square Garden Company pushed back on that on Friday, announcing in a statement that every Rockette must “voluntarily sign up” for every event she performs in.

But some Rockettes say they still fear for their jobs if they sit this performance out. Now one Rockette is publicly speaking out about the controversy.

In an interview with Marie Claire published Tuesday, a Rockette ― using the pseudonym “Mary” to protect her identity ― discussed the turmoil going on behind the scenes in the wake of the famous dance troupe’s commitment to perform at Trump’s inauguration.

There is concern that performing for Trump will make the Rockettes a right wing show. The unidentified Rockette continues, that everyone else is turning down the job, why aren't they?
One of the dancers even felt like she was being forced to dance for that monster....
Another dancer said she wouldn't be comfortable around Trump. The story says Trump has been accused of sexual assault by more than 12 women.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
This is making our show, our job, our name, branded as right-wing. An extreme right-wing,” Mary told Marie Claire. “There’s a reason why everyone else is turning this down. Why are we not?”

This is making our show, our job, our name, branded as right-wing. An extreme right-wing.

Mary told Marie Claire that many of the dancers first found out about the performance through text messages sent from friends. One dancer felt as though she was being “forced to perform for this monster,” Mary said, while another woman reportedly wrote in an email to the dancers: “I wouldn’t feel comfortable standing near a man like that in our costumes.” (The Rockettes often perform in revealing costumes, and Trump has both bragged about grabbing women “by the pussy” without their consent and been accused of sexual assault by more than a dozen women.)

+25 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
yup...but bring out out old William Jefferson Clinton and the ladies will line right up.... mind of a democrat

+25 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Huh, so let liberals want to refuse to serve based on their conscience and it's OK, but let a conservative or a Christian try the same thing and the law cracks down on them with an iron whip.

The left would have no standards if it didn't have double standards.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Does anyone know how they screen their regular shows for "right wingers". Ding bats, all of them.
edit on 28-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Just my O, like Beauty Queen pageants, Playboy bunnies and football cheerleaders, the Rockettes are a hold over from the days of male chauvinism, mens clubs and mens sports. Like the girls that prance the ring between boxing rounds, its a job, politics shouldn't enter into it. If the girls take offense at the arena they shouldn't join one of these venues.

Whatever, fire away.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Does anyone know how they screen their regular shows for "right wingers". Ding bats, all of them.

I doubt they do. I don't think the company who contracts the dancers out really cares since I think they said the Rockettes would be there, but then individual dancers got their panties in a wad over it and started having the vapors because Trump's a horrid misogynist you know.

The company then informed the dancers that those who are signed to full-time union contracts are obligated to dance and the part-time dancers could opt out and not be paid.

The suspicion when that came out was that the left would still set up such a hue and cry that the dancers would all be let out and receive no censure even though it is in their contract that they must dance when the company is signed out and they agree to this.

And that is precisely what it looks like it happening.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
If the Rockett's don't want to do their classic dance for the President, perhaps they would be more comfortable dancing on the pole at the Pink Pony in Atlanta.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Is anyone going to miss these tools if they don't perform?

I didn't think so.

This inauguration is for the people not entitled performers.

Good riddance.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
A lot of them don't want to. The first article I read several days ago noted an internal memo saying those who were full-time were obligated to appear at set events throughout the year including the inauguration. Then a couple days later the MSG company said no Rockette would ever be forced to perform where they don't want to.

Trump's people have had difficulty booking almost any entertainment for the event. For the first time, no local DC marching band applied to be in the parade, according to FOX News and others.

Several promoters speaking on condition of anonymity stated they were offered Ambassadorships to book big name talent.

Redstate (I believe Redstate is a right wing blog):

So the scramble is on to find top talent to play President-elect Trump’s inaugural event. I’m sure Ted Nugent and Kid Rock are willing to play, but it would seem the Trump team were hoping for a little more. So much so that sources are saying they’ve offered at least two booking agents ambassadorships, if they could come through with some top names to perform.

NY Magazine

One talent manager described being offered “access to the administration” if he could lure major talent. “They said they were in the process of ‘figuring out posts, ambassadorships, and commissions’ if that was of any interest,” he said.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Rockettes, Schmokettes, who cares, already?

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

No one cares about the politics of some dumb ass dancers or actors.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Is anyone going to miss these tools if they don't perform?

I didn't think so.

Good riddance.

Trump said something similar to:

after he could get almost no one to come, including international opera star Andrea Bocelli, whom Trump's team approached and he declined.

Trump said that AFTER promoters turned down the odd offers or were simply NOT ABLE to book talent bigger than the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Evancho from "America's Got Talent".
edit on 28-12-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

No one cares about the politics of some dumb ass dancers or actors.

I am just pointing out that Trump really TRIED to get them booked and when he failed, he says on Twitter what you just said.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I don't care who is getting sworn in; any of these women should be able to opt out of a performance at a political function without fear of losing their jobs. Period.

I think the lady is perhaps overstating and overestimating the social impact of this but she obviously feels strongly about it so give those who want a pass a pass. I'm sure plenty will be glad for an opportunity to take their place.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Most presidents in the last 50 years have been sexist monsters.

Kennedy and Clinton where known to # everything in a skirt and LBL was notorious for flashing his dick.
edit on 28-12-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

One talent manager described being offered “access to the administration” if he could lure major talent. “They said they were in the process of ‘figuring out posts, ambassadorships, and commissions’ if that was of any interest,” he said.

HA! I'd like to see them collect what Trump promised them.

The "Art of the Deal" - - get what you want, then stick it to them.

edit on 28-12-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Bocelli declined because he was being threatened, not necessarily because he didn't or wouldn't do it. He was originally booked to do it.

This is how insane the blacklisting is. Even if people would be inclined to do it for the money alone, they won't, and the teachers' unions will hold out marching bands out over the politics of it.

The local talk station asked what parents thought both for this inauguration and last. See, during the last inauguration, there was one report of a parent who prevented their kid from going to perform with the band for Obama's second inauguration. Most parents are of the opinion that whatever the politics, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for any kid to play in an inauguration, no matter who is being inaugurated.
edit on 28-12-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Huh, so let liberals want to refuse to serve based on their conscience and it's OK, but let a conservative or a Christian try the same thing and the law cracks down on them with an iron whip.

The left would have no standards if it didn't have double standards.

No. I think Christian/Conservative singers or marching groups have declined or not applied to appear. What law has cracked down on them?

Garth Brooks declined to appear. He is a Republican that thanks God on each album and quotes scripture. He is second only to the Beatles in US album sales.
edit on 28-12-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Liberals have a our way or no way attitude. And if you continue, then the threats and violence start.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I wasn't talking about that.

The left wants to let these dancers out of their contract to follow their conscience.

Do you think they should be allowed to?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join