It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN Discovers Antimatter Light Spectrum After 20 Year Search!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Antimatter Light Spectrum Discovered!

(And after searching up and down, it looks like not a whisper of this amazing discovery on ATS!)

Huzzah! Another great milestone reached in the noble field of antimatter research!

In a paper published today in the journal Nature, the ALPHA collaboration reports the first ever measurement on the optical spectrum of an antimatter atom. This achievement features technological developments that open up a completely new era in high-precision antimatter research. It is the result of over 20 years of work by the CERN antimatter community.
Source: Phys.org

Essentially, when antimatter meets matter, they cancel each other out and release energy in the form of light.
"Using a laser to observe a transition in antihydrogen..." this light was then compared to that of a hydrogen atom.
Through the "...observation of a spectral line in an antihydrogen atom, allowing the light spectrum of matter and antimatter to be compared...', they were able to confirm the long-held theory that "...hydrogen and antihydrogen should have identical spectroscopic characteristics."

Excellent breakdown of the detection process: Science Daily Article

Here's the original paper as it appars in Nature : Observation of the 1S–2S transition in trapped antihydrogen

STAY ASTONISHED!
ADAM&EVIL
edit on 24-12-2016 by ADAMandEVIL because: ETA Everything haha

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Pretty awesome that they have been able to build an antiatom.

Really awesome that they have the ability to play with it. Poke it with a stick!

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Well it would be pretty cool if the OP's video worked.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

I heard about it yesterday. Had not seen this vid.
edit on 12/24/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I heard about it yesterday. Had not seen this vid.

After watching the video I conclude that I do not want to become a vegan, I might grow a beak.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Sorry about that, i accidentally clicked POST instead of PREVIEW haha
It's up and running now

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Omg! It's a festivus miracle!
Phage actually impressed by something on here!

edit on 24-12-2016 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   

More money than sense

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Really awesome that they have the ability to play with it. Poke it with a stick!
maybe they can put a dead cat in there with it. All I had was a mirror.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Don't because anti atom lives matter.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

humble but confident that an atom isn't something alive or for that matter even powerful. What if it turned out it was some ancient monster or the demon of pride or a god killing machine. Show some pride. Open that box and look in that mirror.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: spectranometron

humble but confident that an atom isn't something alive or for that matter even powerful. What if it turned out it was some ancient monster or the demon of pride or a god killing machine. Show some pride. Open that box and look in that mirror.

Thats truly so far out, I can't totally wrap my mind around it right now. We could can the new particle a Trumpion. In honor of our Dear Leader. He WILL make America great again!

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Thats truly so far out, I can't totally wrap my mind around it right now. We could can the new particle a Trumpion. In honor of our Dear Leader. He WILL make America great again!
that's such a trivial division I can't fit my head into it.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Exactly!

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Exactly!
you know that means I'm not the guy that has to figure that out right.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
It would have been neater if it had emitted dark.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Omg! It's a festivus miracle!
Phage actually impressed by something on here!

That's not Phage -- it's the anti-matter universe/mirror universe Phage.

You can tell the difference because this anti-Phage has a goatee, wears a sash, and is generally agreeable.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: spectranometron

It isn't alive. It isn't some ancient monster or the demon of pride. Because neither things are real - only in the minds of children.

It IS however, a very lovely God killing machine and part of the many other God killing machines called 'science'. The very antithesis of any god.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Ahh so Anti matter reflects the color of the atom its opposite of huh? Are they sure its not just because the anti matter isnt just adaptable to whatever it touches? what if it would had been a oxygen atom?

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
In other words, since humans also lose their teeth as they get older, if we're able to extend the life of a human, we might just find that the oldest living humans grow beaks, as the beak genes get switched on naturally sometime after tooth decay.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join