It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Widow Baby

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

Ok I admit I know nothing of spiders but i wonder is she able to get pregnant all by her self?
Must there not be a male spider there so they can do their spider-sex thingy?
Oh, and isnt the black widow the spider who often eats the male after mating with it?

thanks for a horrifying thread.

cheers!

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Nivek555

Here's a couple itsy bitsy facts:

Venom

This spider's bite is much feared because its venom is reported to be 15 times stronger than a rattlesnake's. In humans, bites produce muscle aches, nausea, and a paralysis of the diaphragm that can make breathing difficult; however, contrary to popular belief, most people who are bitten suffer no serious damage—let alone death. But bites can be fatal—usually to small children, the elderly, or the infirm. Fortunately, fatalities are fairly rare; the spiders are nonaggressive and bite only in self-defense, such as when someone accidentally sits on them.

Not as dangerous or lethal as the MMS makes them out to be.

Females sometimes kill and eat their counterparts after mating in a macabre behavior that gave the insect its name. Black widows are solitary year-round except during this violent mating ritual.

So yes, they do sometimes eat their mate but not always.

But as for mating:

According to Canadian Geographic, black widows are primarily solitary, with the exception of late spring when mating occurs. 

Seems it's too late for her to have babies even if she did have a mate.

Link-NatGeo

Link-LiveScience

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I've been calling her by each of the names that have been suggested so far and none of them stick except for Mrs. Trueman. Lol

But, I'm thinking of calling her Elvira, Mistress of the Dark. I'm liking it a lot, actually. Maybe introducing her as follows:

Meet My First Wife, Elvira. Hehe.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Nivek555

Must there not be a male spider there so they can do their spider-sex thingy?

Still laughing so hard at this. Spider-sex thingy. Great.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

You know, there is a very REAL possibility that the jar can be knocked over but trust that I'm not going to let that happen. If it does, I'd most likely stomp on her, honestly.

I don't remember what my husband said he found her in, maybe he can tell you, but it was something he was installing on one of his jobs. The air holes are in the lid and that's where she seems to like it most, right under the lid. It's darkest there. She has her web connected to the sticks we put in there all over the place and connected to the lid itself to where I can't even take the lid off! I can only get it up enough to toss some food in there for her.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: PageLC14
a reply to: randyvs

Hehe maybe I am whacked. But looooook--

She's so neat looking. Plus she loves me. I can tell. I fed her a cricket.

The cricket prolly had more sense.
Do you know why their sack never stops
growing.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Do you know why their sack never stops 
growing.

No....I do not...

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Please, inform me of everything you know about black widows.

Honestly, you won't scare me into letting her loose or Killing her because she's scary and I'm Big Man and Must Stomp Little Creature. Like it was shown earlier in this thread, it is highly uncommon for people to get bitten by these spiders and even then even more uncommon for the bites to be lethal.

originally posted by: Another_Nut

originally posted by: Naturallywired

originally posted by: Another_Nut
a reply to: Naturallywired

Lol they arnt that dangerous. Stop the fear mongering and live a little.

www.google.com...

And yes their egg sacs are average around a cm.

See the ATS motto
I am not spreading fear, unlike you talking like it's no big deal when it is a big deal. Black widows are very dangerous and you saying it's not is pure denying of ignorance. Good day to you and Merry Christmas.

By that logic dogs are dangerous.
In 2014 over 1500 widow bites were recorded
14 were serious
No deaths resulted
But there were 42 dog attack deaths.

So yeah get over it . They arnt that dangerous less a danger than a dog

Hell bees kill an average of 53 people per year cows kill 23 compared to 7 for widows AND recluses.

Should people stop keeping bees and cows too? Or lizards? Or tarantula? Or any really any type of animal as a pet?

Yeah so really you are fear mongering .

Learn your facts. They are not dangerous. The just have a reputation among the uninformed

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

don't know much about black widows but I've got 2 tarantulas. A Mexican Red Rump named Diablo that will get about 6" and Salmon pink (lasiodora parahybana) named Becchino that'll get about 10"+. I got Diablo when she was only 1/4" big, she's 3" now, and i went to the pet store and got her pin head crickets to start but switched to the bigger medium crickets without an issue. She actually liked to jump on its back and go on a cricket ride while she sunk her fangs into it lol it was hilarious lol definitely an animated eater lol. But anyway, typically you wanna aim for an amount of food that adds up to about the size of their butt. But thats for tarantulas, they don't web up there cricket slurpies to save for later, mine will lay down a web mat, eat till full, then wrap it up into a ball and toss it as far away from their hide as possible for me to clean up. I would guess a black widow would eat a bit differently but the food size would be a good rule of thumb. maybe feed her every couple days or so, keep a little think of water for her to drink out of (yes spiders drink water, I've watched it) for substrate for my two i use coconut fiber, comes in a brick form that you soak in water. The added humidity from the moist fiber will also help to keep the little girl hydrated. There are arachnid forums of people who keep different spiders. I'm sure you could find more detailed info from a widow keeper but the above will keep her alive
always get your crickets from a pet store and gut load your prey items with cricket cubes, Little orange cubes that put a bunch of yummy nutrients into them for the spider to nom nom on lol

I hope that helps some

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I had a (very ordinary) spider lurking just under the skirting board in my bathroom. He never seemed to go anywhere or catch anything to eat so I got a bit worried about him being hungry.

One day I put a small piece of raw fish down for him and he loved it. Wrapped his little self around it and slurped away. I fed him regularly before he (Trevor) went off somewhere else. He left a legacy though, several little Trevors running around the place. I'm guessing that fish must have done him some good.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
you will be calling her "lets move" after she escapes

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: roaland

Thanks!! Why is it necessary to buy crickets rather than just catching them? Wouldn't she be eating wild ones anyways?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: berenike

That's cool lol who knew a spider would enjoy raw fish?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

being WC (wild caught) her system should be used to all the chemicals but for prolonged health and longer life, store bought crickets gut loaded are way healthier. cheap around where i live, about $2 for 20 large crickets. But with CB (captive breed) it makes a huge difference. you feed a CB wild caught food and you run the risk of killing your pet....

I keep my crickets in a little plastic tub with holes drilled into the top. make sure you toss in a few paper egg crate thingies for the crickets. Most pet stores will toss in a small piece when ya buy the crickets if you ask nicely.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
name is "Splatter" as in all over the floor.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: roaland

Ah gotcha gotcha. Thanks again! Nice to see some tips and not just everyone all scared That my choice in a pet might possibly end in my death! Lol

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I like Druscilla. Or Killer. Or One Who Should Not Be Kept.

When you decide to set her free, which you will, just make sure it's not on your lawn. I had an infestation of them once in a flower bed. Their life story was tragic.

"Just another day in Paradise until the giant one came with can of Raid. Then, blackness."

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Their ass bags are just exactly that.
And I could give a crap if you're
fearful or a "big man" or what.
They never take a # and their
excrement shoots their fangs
tough guy. And people don't even
Feel it crawling on them or when
It bites. You think you have a pet?
Take it out and let it crawl around
You. Become intimate with her.
You're Not funny. You're being a
Child.

edit on Rpm122716v03201600000022 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

What are you trying to do, give me a heart attack?????

When my Mother was alive, we used to garden together. If I saw a spider I would do my spider dance, which was jumping up and down like a maniac screaming and yelling. God forbid I should see a centipede.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Mclaneinc

A rat wouldn't freak me out at all. A spider, that is a whole different story!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join