It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Widow Baby

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: roaland

Quick question: How can I clean the dead cricket out of the jar I have her in? I have some tweezers ready but because she has her web connected to the lid everything will come out if I lift it far enough, including her! I can't lift it enough to get the tweezers in there to remove the carcass.

I'm sure investing in a larger tank would be my best bet but for now I have to settle for the jar.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

What a dilemma! LOL!

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

The people I've releaved of painful abscessed
bites, with my remedy would say you' re
The one joking yourself there esse.
In fact you haven't made a constructive entry
In this thread at all. Just criticized me
And employed total deflection in your
last post. So who's really the joke
here pal?
edit on Rpm122816v47201600000058 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Ive been bitten by both a black widow and a brown recluse.

The black widow bites are distinctive and look like bruised inflammed bullseyes. But i never felt i was in danger to the point id need antibiotics or medical treatment. It feels like a boil mixed with muscle spazzms and cramps at th bite location for a few days accompuabied with mild flu like symptons or general achyness throughout the body. But its not unbearable and you feel pretty confident youre going to make it through. Been bitten on the finger tip. The back of my knee by my hamstring and along my waist.

The brown reculse felt painless the entire time but i had an open sore the size of my pinky nail on the bite site (back of calf just above ankle) for several months. Now its a scar in a greyish hue thats slightly indented. I took antibiotics for that one.

Brown widows are more common in los angeles where i live these days. They are less agressive to humans and slightly smaller than their black widow sisters but are also more agressive towards other black widows actually beginning to killing them off in the southern califirnia region in a turf war. The brown widows are the interlopers but theyre winning against their bigger black widow relatives.

I used to hate them but then one day i found a widow playing dead. It would recoil in fear whenever i moved towards it cleary afraid for its life. I felt pseudocompassion for the wretched little things after that. Still killed the spider though after watching it play dead for 45 minutes. But only because it was habitating within inches of my bedroom door.

edit on 28-12-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

sorry took so long to see it lol

i got a really long pair of tweezers at PetSmart in the reptile isle. Near the bearded dragon stuff. There about 6-8 inches long and all metal. as far as getting it out, if you hit that web you'll pull some of it down and tick her off but since your not planing on holding and taming her it won't make much of a difference. You'll have to come up with a system for how to handle it through trial and error but just be careful when you first take the lid off to make sure she doesn't bolt.

now with my two tarantulas, i keep a horse hair paint brush nearby and use the bristles to test their mood and help to move them around with out agitating them to much. They get used to the bristles after a bit and it tends to calm them. But again, my two fuzzy butts lol but its still a safe way to move her around. Don't worry to much about destroying her web, she'll make repairs, and after a while you'll figure out a good system for handling that

Black Widows are aborial so the height of her enclosure should be taller then the ground floor of it. My suggestion would be those plastic tubs, they make them in all different sizes and you can get ones that are very secure with locking tops while still remaining cheep. Just take a small 1/16th size drill bit or something and poke holes in the top or top/sides on each end for proper ventilation and air flow. Stagnate air is very unhealthy. I hope that helps

EDIT: typical rule for tarantulas is 3 times their leg span for enclosure size but she's not a tarantula lol You may want to google for some arachnidboards and look for the black widow section, yes they are out there you are not alone lol
edit on 29-12-2016 by roaland because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   
The only good spider is a dead spider. I would name it after Ash from Pokemon. Then I would burn it with fire.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

I've posted fact links and videos to refute your "knowledge"

And yet you hadn't been able to back up a single thing you have said.

We will start with painless bites
The bites from most spiders won't be felt . What will be felt is the effects of the toxin.
In widows it can be very painful . Again you confuse widows with recluses the latter of which has a necrotic toxin that may not be felt until symptoms develop.
These statements can be verified by a simple Google search or clicking one of the various links posted in this thread.

Next your statement about widows excretion of excrement from their fangs
A statement which is blatantly false. Toxins from spiders are porduced like toxins from most ,if not all, posionous creatures. That being by their body's.

Next up your statement about abscesses. Again you confuse widows with recluses. Two different types of toxins. And even when bit by a recluse they form in only about 37% of bites
In one study of clinically diagnosed brown recluse bites, skin necrosis occurred 37% of the time, while systemic illness occurred 14% of the time
en.m.wikipedia.org...

Again these are easy learned facts about spider bites

You on the other hand refuse to provide anything other than anticdotal evidence based on your ,better than a physicians, "knowledge" . Which I have just proven to be total BS. And then you tried many fallicy arguments like ,and I'm paraphrasing here, "many people on this site know my word is good " and the old "I know better than you because..."

All while not providing one iota of proof to any of your posts or statements.

You can't even separate a widow from a recluse..That shows how much you "know"

You know nothing . Let the adults talk . Sit in the corner and listen

You might learn something

edit on am1220163111America/ChicagoThu, 29 Dec 2016 11:34:17 -0600_12000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

So you didn't die? Lol that's what I've been wanting to hear. Sounds just like what I can look up on the internet on the subject so I'm going to believe you.
Thanks!

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I know how to treat it properly so if you get bit, stop on by.[editby. Oh and adults? They don't keep
Spiders in jars. Kids do that sh1t.
edit on Rpm122916v03201600000046 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

So adults keep spiders in jars?
Dude you have me rotflmfao.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Wow an ad hominem with no substanative response from you

Didn't see that coming.

When you learn the difference between a widow and a recluse let me know and I'll teach you about the difference in their bites and then we will move on to ranges and venom's and where the venom actually comes from.

Hint: it doesn't come from poop.

Or you could try to refute the information I and others have posted . With something other than your "I know better"

But in I'm sure you would rather just call names ...Like certain other small humans like to do

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

All I HAVE is a jar, dude. Once I get a chance to go to a pet store I'll be buying a better tank for her. Why you trolling?

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Why try to refute clinical information? All I' m
Say' n is I challenge most of it. But you come
Off as if everything you read is gospel. Well I
Know better. I've helped way to many people
Who couldn't afford medical attention to be
belittled by someone with zero exp. The praise
I've had from them far exceeds your irrational
Responses. You can die by anaphylactic shock.
And there are way to many variants involved
For any of the info to be even close to accurate.
The variants including where the bite is and
What type are just for starters.
edit on Rpm122916v28201600000035 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

(post by randyvs removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I take it randy really really doesnt like spiders.

At least shes keeping a widow and not a funnel web.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

How's it "a little off" though? Really? I've owned snakes. One kept biting my dad every time he fed him so we had to get rid of him. I even owned a rat once that my snake had refused to eat. He grew to be like 6 inches long, not including his tail, and as fat as a house cat.

Took in squirrels, baby birds, ferrets, plenty of dogs and cats. My point is, a pet is a pet. Why is it off that I'm keeping a black widow? I'm not going to pet it or train her to bite intruders or fight other widows for money. So what is your point really?

Edit: Some pics of my old snake, Sasha. Some people think others are off for owning snakes too lol

edit on 29-12-2016 by PageLC14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

It's not spiders per se. I don't have any phobias.
But black widows? A pet? I admit my prejudices.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Australia's funnels are the granddaddy to the American funnels, for sure.

Some photos of the US baby's webs.

They only live about a year or so...so no biggie.

Australia's equivalent will be with you for many more than that!

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Oh wow! That's crazy looking. I've never heard of those before and would freak out if I ever walked across one. 'Course I'd still poke around at it to see what was in there. But I wouldn't take it home with me. Didn't even bring this black widow home!! My husband just has a way with words...
edit on 29-12-2016 by PageLC14 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join