It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Have Lung Cancer

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Night Star

Come along... I'll share whatever Augie brings.

On my way! My bags are packed!
edit on 26-5-2017 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Hello out there! Thinking of you Kali!

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Hello out there! Thinking of you Kali!

How beautiful! Just like Kali!!

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I love that!

Thank you

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Awww glad you both enjoyed that, I know how much I loved it when I first saw it.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I'm truely sorry for your plight...rivers of tears for you before His throne...

my mother passed from this as well...Prayers

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Hi Kali.
I hope you are okay today and feeling some better. I've been following along since you first posted last year.

Lung Cancer has reared it's ugly head within my family circle. My sister in law (age 65) has been diagnosed last week and began her rounds of chemo and twice daily radiation starts this week as well. Then it stops for a couple of weeks and begins again. They've given her O2 and are putting a port in today I believe. The Cancer is an aggressive small cell (something or another) and has also effected her lymph glands (?) and something that connects one's lungs together (?). She described it as they 'lit up like a Christmas tree'. The cancer was discovered accidentally as she was having testing to determine what was causing her stomach issues. Some tech saw a 'blob' on her right lung and it went from there (biopsy of lung caused a collapse of course!)

There's a 15% cure rate and although that sounds dismal, she hasn't given up hope. She and my sister (age 83, YES! she robbed the cradle 46 years ago!) are both retired RNs and are very confident in the technology and medical advances. Also, they are located near Asheville NC and she is going to the cancer center there.

We've been talking on the phone every day or so as they don't want anyone to come there...YET. So, getting to my point if you're up to answering a question. It may seem a naive one.

I don't know what to say. I don't know what to ask. We go through the run down of ills and pains and how nauseous she feels and then on to her worry for my sister and when she eventually dies, what will happen? Of course, I tell her that my sister will be fine and I will take care of her but she has always cared for my sister as she has aged so naturally she is concerned.

What should I be saying? Everything seems so inadequate. I want to be comforting and encouraging but, I just can't seem to find the words. What are the words that one needs/wants to hear?
Digital ((hugs)) and positive thoughts for all of you!

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I think a lot depends on how healthy/strong you are at the start of treatment. I think it's important if she hasn't decided what options to take that she start 1st line treatment right away because all the trials require you to have completed at least 4 rounds of Cisplatin and Etoposide. This is a heavy duty chemo but I never got sick from it, barely ever nauseous and I did radiation at the same time, the steroids work and Lorazepam works for anxiety and nausea as well (the girlfriend/wife may benefit from that too). Nutrition is the next step, it's counter intuitive but NO vitamin supplements, no green tea, no anti oxidants... you need to weaken, not strengthen your cells so that the chemo kills cells. Protein and iron up the wazoo and she needs to try to gain weight, anemia is so easy to get and can delay treatments.

As far as encouragement... yes the numbers are bad for small cell lung cancer, it's a super aggressive cancer as well but it's 15-25% now depending on stage found that live 5 years, here's the good news though... you aren't counted after 5 years. So while it sounds like people just hit that 5 year mark and keel over it's not so lol. Some people, very few but you gotta shoot for the moon with cancer, it never comes back. And every time you beat it you have the same chance it won't come back (dunno stats on that one).

Mindful meditation has been incredibly effective for me as far as keeping my sanity and coping, prayer works in the same way, I imagine at the cancer center that they have councilors as well. Her full time job now, is cancer. Reading survivor stories helped me too. Yoga, short walks, tai-chi are also really good for retaining muscle and flexibility. Short naps, long naps will worsen fatigue.

The most important thing, just listen... frustration is always close by for me, a dirty dish left in the sink can undo hours of calm lol.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Like Kali mentioned already, Listening is very important. Sometimes, just knowing that someone is there and that they love you and care is enough. Re-assure her that you will look after your Sister just as you have been doing. Sounds to me like you are doing all the right thins. There is no right and wrong on how you go about handling the situation. She knows you are there are there for her and that is what matters most.

You are an amazingly wonderful woman dear Chirp and I just know that you are doing a fine job in providing, comfort, support and love to your Sister-In_Law. Please keep us updated. Ok? Hugs!

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

You reminded me of some things when you spoke of short naps or long naps. With the kind of treatment I went through I could have hibernated like a damned bear. I too was frustrated. Frustrated that I was so weak and tired and couldn't always do the simplest of things. Just going to a restaurant and walking to be seated somewhere if it wasn't close to where we entered was a huge effort. I was like OMG, that seems like a million miles away. LOL

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
hope u get healed

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Well...

The new treatment isn't working. We're going to do 5 doses of radiation to the tumor in my abdomen to get it shrinking as it's become very uncomfortable. Then we're going to wait a little bit and start a standard second line chemotherapy. Doc says odds are getting smaller. But I say odds are still odds! So I'm a little discouraged at the moment but it will pass and I know that as this tumor shrinks I will physically feel better despite side effects. Being able to be more physically active will lift my spirits a lot.

Keep praying for me, please. More importantly keep praying for major medical breakthroughs so no one has to go through this.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Keep praying for me, please.

Every single day.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I keep checking this thread for updates. Setbacks might happen, but keep up the fight. Fight! Fight! Fight!

Sending every positive thought I have your way.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Thank you

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Keep praying for me, please.

Every single day.

I have my mum doing laps of her rosary for you Kali! They are smoking from so many laps in her hands and the beads are ground down to the size of small grains of rice now from so much praying!.

I'm not a holy lady like her, but you are in my thoughts every day. Get better and I promise to take you to Paris for a coffee and cakes.

edit on 27-6-2017 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
Get better and I promise to take you to Paris for a coffee and cakes.

I think between the two of us, with all our travel, we can easily take care of the airfare.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

That made me cry lol. Thank your mom for me. That explains a lot about you.

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I love Paris but I think a Boston weekend with two of my favorite ATSers would be great too

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Your choice, either way.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   

You are so inspiring my friend! Praying for you and thinking of you always!

I brought an Elven Sister to share some magic. You know, because every little bit helps.

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join