It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Have Lung Cancer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+147 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'm not really sure why I'm posting this, I was very superstitious before about letting so many people that dislike me know that I'm fighting for my life. Pretty silly, I know... this isn't for them anyway, though I wish them all well in their own personal lives. I just feel like it this time, I guess.

Also, I appreciate the place of kindness it comes from but please spare me the miracle cures and chemo kills stuff, I trust science. Cancer is a bitch of a disease and it mutates so rapidly (depending on the type) that it eventually outpaces medical ability to treat. That's changing thanks to science and with a massive amount of luck I will survive long enough for my disease to become manageable versus terminal.

I'm 42 and diagnosed in Feb 2016, I went through the big bad ass chemo combo as well as chest radiation, preventative brain radiation and the cancer was defeated however, lung cancer and especially the type I have (Small Cell Lung Carcinoma) is super aggressive and floats around through your blood stream making it highly probable for a come back.

Last week I was given the bad news that I have new growth in my right lung and a fairly large tumor in my abdomen. I'm shattered to be honest, I really was trying to believe that I would be one of the very few to have this type of cancer, not come back ever. The fact that it's also in a secondary location now also means my disease has progressed to the next stage. With small cell they don't do stage I-IV, there's limited stage (which I was) and extended stage (which I am now).

Tomorrow I will have a brain MRI to make sure there's no spots there and Tuesday I will have a needle biopsy for the abdominal tumor as they weren't able to get a good sample from my original tumor. This will help identify the gene expression of my cancer and will allow my medical team to tailor my chemo regimen as well as identify what types if any immunotherapies I'm a candidate for.

These tests will also determine my eligibility for a trial combo of an oral chemo (which hopefully won't take my hair again), this is a phase three trial (science geeks will get it) that has shown promise to become a first line treatment with SCLC due to it's ability to damage/destroy the cancer cells ability to repair it's DNA. Of course, this depends on my insurance approving the treatment as well. I'm now on free healthcare due to my inability to work.

Now for the PSA part... Quit smoking! Life is short, live well. 99% of our grievances in life are petty and you feel like a dumbass when you're suddenly faced with the endgame. Regret can make you choke, several times a day... everyday. Miracles happen. Positive thinking is good for you. Science is good, support it. God is good too. So I would appreciate any prayers and positive thinking. Hug the people you love and tell them you love them. The thought of leaving my son, my mom, brother and dad is unbearable, ultimately if this gets me, I get to be at peace... they will have to live with the pain.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

We've spoken privately about this so you know I am pulling for you, stay positive.

Hopefully next time I am up in Beantown we can make that drink I owe you a celebratory one.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

God speed to your recovery my friend. I hope you battle through this difficult time and just make sure you keep up to living each day to its fullest and eat the best foods. We are all here for your support on ATS

If I may ask though, how much of a smoker were you and how long did you smoke for? I think there are many closet smokers out there who are afraid to admit the habit and I think it would be a wake up call for them too...as this is real news. Cheers
edit on 18-12-2016 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Absolutely!

You don't have a bald chick fetish do you?

edit on 12/18/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Thankyou

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Keep up the fight. I had a coworker that got liver cancer last year. He is in his late 60's... he is back to work today with a new liver.
Another had lymphoma two years ago, he beat it and is back to work now.

Now for the PSA part... Quit smoking! Life is short, live well. 99% of our grievances in life are petty and you feel like a dumbass when you're suddenly faced with the endgame. Regret can make you choke, several times a day...

Amen.
I started smoking at age 3. My dad lit cigars for me because he didn't trust me with matches. I chewed tobacco and snuff until I was 16 and went to cigarettes.
I quit this past June, cold turkey at age 54. About 2 months ago, I started e-cigarettes, since I was getting too irritable around kids and at work.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Oh Kali my good friend I'm so sorry for what you are going through. My hopes for your recovery and my prayers go out to you. I'm always here for you if you need to talk. Good luck and healing thoughts sent your way.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Good lord! 3!??? WTF! Good for you for quitting! I would probably still be smoking if I hadn't gotten cancer. Believe it or not even with a tumor in my chest, my chest felt better after quitting than it had in years.

Thanks for the well wishes.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: lonegurkha

Thanks hun, hugs.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I know we don't get along, but I wish you well. Will think positive thoughts for you.

I'd miss the fights.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Kali, you're in my thoughts and prayers. None of us know how much time we have left on this planet but I'm grateful for time spent with all the kindred spirits -- including and especially those on ATS, like you. Wishing you a warm holiday season, surrounded by those you love.

link   

Love ya lady. You're the best.

+24 more 
link   

I don't know why I looked to see the board today... I'm not doing it much lately, but I saw today I wanted to see the board. And there you were. Just know that I love you and I want the know that you are loved. Take care to you...

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I'm sorry to read the news Kali , I really don't know what to say other than send you my best wishes for a positive outcome for your upcoming tests this week and a place on the trial.

Stay strong , you can beat this.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Thank you. I'm so happy to see you posting again.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
It is always the good guys. Positive thinking so you will be fine in the end.
Fight kali like you always do sweet pea.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Thank you. Also you're not off the hook from the fights and never will be... haha
edit on 12/18/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Thank you. I'm so happy to see you posting again.

Ditto!

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I'm sorry to read the news Kali , I really don't know what to say other than send you my best wishes for a positive outcome for your upcoming tests this week and a place on the trial.

Stay strong , you can beat this.

The aliens will come save me

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I have seen way to much cancer tear through my family and friends. I know a great deal of people in my career and my wife's career. Cancer sucks for sure.

But I have also seen cancer beaten multiple times.

Don't give up, we will be pulling for you.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join