It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Use "ze" not he or she so not to offend transgender students-Oxford University tells students

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I thought we just use to say " they " when talking about a person without referring to sex or gender. What happens when someone calls a him a ze ? Would that be offensive?
To much PC going on to keep up with anymore.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

Screw it, I refuse to keep up. If someone is offended, join the club.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I'm surprised they didn't go with they/them/theirs especially with it being Oxford. We already have a set of gender neutral pronouns, and they're already grammatically correct even if they sound a little weird.

That said, I couldn't really care less, languages evolve.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan
Because political correctness gets caught up in the syndrome of slavishly imitating what the Americans say and do. That's why Cameron decided to import the "gay marriage" concept, after he had already introduced the "civil partnership", which did exactly the same job. Weren't there some British environmental protestors, a couple of months back, who decided to call themselves "Black Lives Matter"? No doubt we will soon hear of the first "sanctuary campus", as declared by the local student body.

edit on 13-12-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
i dont mind saying "they" "them" "that" "those" "thou" "that person" etc....but i will not conform to some newly invented jargon that has no basis in objective reality (i.e. its a mental construct and therefore imaginary)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Again, this is only an issue if you make it an issue.

I run a business, I was an elected official before, I was a manager of a restaurant before, I belong to a few civic groups and I never use Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. or Ze or whatever. It never comes up. unless you want it to be an issue.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: tribal
Agreed!

dont mind saying "they" "them" "that" "those" "thou" "that person" etc....but i will not conform to some newly invented jargon that has no basis in objective reality (i.e. its a mental construct and therefore imaginary)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

It seems to be an issue now, and I didn't do it.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Pretty sure the students at Oxford have to pay for their school. For that, the students' union can piss off.

Here's the thing... If YOU don't want to risk offending a tranny, you can use whatever dreamed up terms you wanna use and not force others to use what you want them to use. I, however, will continue to use the terms that I want to use because I couldn't care less if something is offended by my use of he & she, her & him. And I couldn't care less if you want to use the terms that you want to use.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: amazing

It seems to be an issue now, and I didn't do it.

Nah.. Just talk to people like you know them. Use their first names. "Hi I'm Amazing" "Hi Amazing, nice to meet you, I'm ______" "What can I do for you ________" Easy peazy.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Last time they tried to do gender neutral crap it was "Comrade".

Which sounds 100,000 times better than calling someone something that sounds like a mispronunciation of an English word from a German.

Continue the regressive totalitarian decline, Oxford. The more control they gain over your institution the less your degrees will be worth.

A sad decline of one of the world's finest educational institutions.

Like they care if they offend someone else... As long as they're not offended then all is well.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
How are we suppose to tell the difference nowadays?

Maybe from now on everyone gets to be an "it"?

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

No one in the US uses ze and all the rest. With the way we speak it almost never comes up, but when it does matter the most common is they/them/theirs though there's no standardization so everyone has their own preferences.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan
I was thinking of the way the demand for these words was being imitated, the politically correct in England echoing the politically correct in the U.S. Did you read that we recently had an outbreak of "Black Lives Matter" protest? They were actually protesting an environmental issue, and I believe most of them were white, but they decided to call themselves "Black Lives Matter" anyway.

edit on 13-12-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join