It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Use "ze" not he or she so not to offend transgender students-Oxford University tells students

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen

originally posted by: imjack

The thing about a free society is, I can call anyone by whatever pronoun I so choose.

This is technically true.

The N word is also technically a pronoun.

You are correct, but I'm not sure if you're trying to insinuate something or not...

Do note that while I observe that a person is free to speak how one sees fit, that person does not get to choose the consequences which stem from that speech.

The argument people can say what they want is merely a strawman to purposefully be insensitive.

The main reason people shouldn't be fined, or punished is because of people that innocently misuse terms out of ignorance.

Someone purposefully calling a Transgendered person the opposite of what they would prefer is honestly not much different to me than calling black people the N word on a respect level.

You can cry freedom of speech, but that's not how the first Amendment was designed to scapegoat slander and defimation, the laws actually specifically site even 'fighting words' not covered under the Constitution, this includes "god hates fags" etc.

Because the law is actually about censorship, the freedom of the press laws are slightly more lax, and that's the main reason you hear this stuff at all.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: imjack

Assume much?

Where did I say that I would call someone who identifies as another gender the wrong gender on purpose?

I actually deal with transgender people on a regular basis, and have been nothing but polite and accomodating. It's not my bag, but whatever a consenting adult does is their business.

BTW, a re-reading of the 1A may be in order, as it only applies to restriction of speech by a government or its agent.

I stand by private individuals using whatever speech they chooses, so long as they reap the consequences.

Freedom isn't free... or pretty.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   

"Be alert, GIR. On this planet, we are surrounded by danger and MADNESS!" - Zim, 2002 A.D.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   

a reply to: imjack

Assume much?

Where did I say that I would call someone who identifies as another gender the wrong gender on purpose?

I actually deal with transgender people on a regular basis, and have been nothing but polite and accomodating. It's not my bag, but whatever a consenting adult does is their business.

BTW, a re-reading of the 1A may be in order, as it only applies to restriction of speech by a government or its agent.

I stand by private individuals using whatever speech they chooses, so long as they reap the consequences.

Freedom isn't free... or pretty.

I was speaking generally, to contrast the difference of mistakenly calling someone the wrong pronoun.

Anyone that knows transgender people, know there can be slight confusion before introductions are in place.

This is the moment the Right is 'afraid of getting sued'.

The reality is more like a Transgendered person being abused by a Company member, Schoolmate, or Teacher, a situation where you can't just 'walk away', and your proper inclusion would be respectful. AKA funny watercooler talk that is degrading.
edit on 13-12-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: berenike

And what about all the French people who can't pronounce 'the' and say 'ze' instead? Will they be offended by the rest of us saying 'ze' and think we're taking the proverbial?

That was my thought. 'Ze' sounds like a racist slur. Vile Oxford racists.

edit on 13 12 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tundra

originally posted by: seasonal
Using "ze" in place of he or she is considerate of trans genders. This is about being considerate and not offending the new gender ID'ed people. And this of course isn't about censoring anyone. How many trans are out there at Oxford?

Oxford is encouraging, and this is how it starts, students to us ze in-place of he or she, to reduce the risk of offending Trans students.

Oxford University is encouraging students to use the gender-neutral pronoun 'ze' instead of 'she and 'he'.

The students' union wrote in a leaflet that the move was intended to reduce the risk of transgender students being offended.

Students hope that the use of ‘ze’ will continue into university lectures and seminars, reported The Sunday Times.

Peter Tatchell, local do gooder, and LGBT rights campaigner said this is a positive thing to not always assign gender divisions. He continued saying it is good to have a gender neutral pronouns and that this isn't about being politically correct or censoring anyone. It is to recognize changing gender ID's.

Peter Tatchell, an LGBT rights campaigner, told MailOnline: 'It is a positive thing to not always emphasise gender divisions and barriers.

'It is good to have gender-neutral pronouns for those who want them but it shouldn't be compulsory.

'This issue isn't about being politically correct or censoring anyone. It's about acknowledging the fact of changing gender identities and respecting people's right to not define themselves as male or female.

'Giving people the 'ze' option is a thoughtful, considerate move.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

What a crock-of-#! Sorry, that's all I got to say.
edit on Mon Dec 12 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

I 2nd your statement because its the only thing that needs to be said

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Last time they tried to do gender neutral crap it was "Comrade".

Which sounds 100,000 times better than calling someone something that sounds like a mispronunciation of an English word from a German.

Continue the regressive totalitarian decline, Oxford. The more control they gain over your institution the less your degrees will be worth.

A sad decline of one of the world's finest educational institutions.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Slightly off topic but I have to wonder if 'Northern Chemists' is still used as an insult. A friend went through her entire time at Oxford being insulted with this term. Particularly odious since she was from Durham and her father was a Chemistry professor at Durham University.

www.theguardian.com...

“Northern chemists” were “drudges in the sciences, up from the comprehensives”.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   
The Daily Mail's headline is inaccurate, because the Students' Union is not the university. It is one of the voluntary societies which students may choose to belong to or not to belong to. It has no authority, except for its influence on politically correct opinion.
I take it that none of the Daily Mail team are Oxbridge graduates, nowadays. They are making this mistake with respect to both universities.

edit on 13-12-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   

I though it was instead of "he" and "she", the word "shklee" shall be used, as well "shklim" or "shkler" to replace "him" or "her"

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I dont care what your gender is or what you identify as, it doesnt bother me......

What does bother me is this crap.....

Want to pretend youre a woman? Then pretend you have a vagina, stop acting like one.....my VERY female and VERY feminine girlfriend would make these little jerks cry.......

Want to pretend your a man? Then act like a man and grow a set......

Stop being a butch of weak minded jerks who need to be coddled by the rest of society.....

Want to be treated like the majority of the population? Then stop acting like bigger wussies and crybabies than the rest of the population.....
edit on 12/13/2016 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   

I only have an O-Level education but I identify with a PhD, so can I teach?

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Can we just use "Shim" or "Himshee" instead? You know, Big Top Pee Wee? Problem is, himshee sounds like kimchi. We need to be sensitive to that kind of vegetable, whatever they be.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Some funny suggenstions indeed! But methinks there is some dark agenda behind this crap. I personally can't be bothered which gender or not gender or trans gender someone is as long as said person behaves, is nice and ethical.
But I don't like that this is rubbed now in everyone's face. Most of the people are just straight men or women. TPTB for whatever reason want that the new normal is something else. I cannot believe that this is simply stupidity. Gay or lesbian people I know don't run around telling eveyone their preference and handle this topic as everyone else would.
Apart from the dark agenda, I am quite sure that very soon they will pay someone for gender neutral speech at Uni with double the salary than yours.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

bollox - " partner " fits everyone - regardless of marital status , gender or sexuality

this is the 21st century FFS - not every man and woman couple are married

and only cockwombles ask which of a gay couple in a civil union is the " husband " and which the " wife "

so - partner it is - get over it

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   
More proof, if it were needed, to show that what used to be respected as seats of learning and rationality are now, like all so called educational establishments, indoctrination centres for the Loony left libraNazis.
edit on 13-12-2016 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-12-2016 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience
Please bear in mind, though, that this is NOT coming from the university as such, whatever the Daily Mail headline says. It comes from the Students Union, which is a student organisation, not an official body.
In the 1970's, students were trying to set up a students union, in imitation of those existing at other universities. They faced the problem of having no building, so they came up with the bright idea of campaigning to have the home of the Oxford Union [traditional debating society] handed over to them. They thought they had a moral right to the building, because its owners were "not a real students' union". That's how removed from reality these people were, even in those days.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Quite so. I've got this really radical idea that students should concentrate their efforts towards getting the best marks possible instead of trying to change the world they have very little/no experience of living in. How's that for controversial?

a reply to: DISRAELI

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I agree. Unfortunately, the other approach goes back to 1968 (I wasn't at university then, but a little concerned that the system was going to be wrecked before I had the chance to experience it).

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
That particular decade has got a lot to answer for.

originally posted by: DISRAELI
I agree. Unfortunately, the other approach goes back to 1968 (I wasn't at university then, but a little concerned that the system was going to be wrecked before I had the chance to experience it).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join