It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top ten reasons to vote Liberal Democrat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
(do not want this to turn into a mud fest thread)

* Put patients first - free doctors and nurses from Whitehall meddling.

* Free personal care when you need it – no one forced to sell their home to pay for care.

* No tuition fees, no top-up fees – university affordable for every student.

* More investment in children’s early years – spend the £1 billion Child Trust Fund money when it matters most.

* 10,000 more police on the streets – cutting crime and the fear of crime.

* £25 more on the pension every week at 75 – a million pensioners off means-testing.

* Free off-peak local transport – for all pensioners and disabled people.

* Axe the Council Tax – Local Income Tax is both fair and affordable.

* We should not have gone to war in Iraq – it’s time to restore trust in the Government.

* Take the environment seriously - cut pollution, cut congestion, and boost renewable energy.

This can all be found in detail on the official Liberal Democrats website.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
* No tuition fees, no top-up fees – university affordable for every student.

I am all for this, but where would the money come from to cover this? I hope they plan to invest in education properly.

* 10,000 more police on the streets – cutting crime and the fear of crime.

About time too. A look at the Judges might be an idea, too. Also, a change in the law to protect people from burglary.

* £25 more on the pension every week at 75 – a million pensioners off means-testing.

An excellent idea.

* Free off-peak local transport – for all pensioners and disabled people.

Again, an excellent idea. This would save much needed money for the people mentioned.

* Axe the Council Tax – Local Income Tax is both fair and affordable.

Yes, definately! Stop the extortion! Rent is bad enough these days, without being robbed again by Council Tax.

* We should not have gone to war in Iraq – it’s time to restore trust in the Government.

I wholeheartedly agree. The people do not trust the government, and its mainly down to things like Iraq, the Hutton Whitewash, and Bush's highly suspect motives and our 'Alliance' with him. Blair has destroyed the peoples trust in the Government.

* Take the environment seriously - cut pollution, cut congestion, and boost renewable energy.

Yes, we are running out of time, and action is needed on the environment, not just fancy meetings.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I am all for this, but where would the money come from to cover this? I hope they plan to invest in education properly.

I would probably say taxes, seeings the Liberal Democrats will be taxing the high earners more

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
(do not want this to turn into a mud fest thread)

fair enough

Lib Dem Tax Sting

Liberal Democrats are planning over 40 new taxess would come as a hammer blow to millions of hard-working families and firms both small and large.

A vote for the Liberal Democrats is a dangerous and expensive vote. They plan to introduce penal tax rates for hard working families. Their local income tax would cost the typical two-earner couple an additional £630 in tax every year. It would hit young couples just as they are starting out in life - planning a family, saving for a mortgage, saving for their future. In addition, the LibDems are pushing for a regional income tax to pay for the Regional Assemblies that nobody wants. The bill for that could be as high as £1,100 for the typical two-earner couple.

Yes the Lib Dems plan to plow in millions into the services and create some noble reform, but the problem is...money, the Lib Dem reform will require a good sized increase in tax for everyone.

Some new taxes the Lib Dems propose are:
a new 50% income tax rate, a water tax, a dog tax, a parking tax, smoker's tax, a new homes tax, a business land tax, and a City of London tax.development tax, an exchange and capital flows tax, a higher landfill tax, a waste tax, plastic bag tax, pesticide tax, overseas territories tax, a double whammy inheritance tax, energy tax, pensions tax, airport tax, congestion tax, and a new tax on 4x4 vehicles.

Some of these taxes are fair, for example the plastic bag tax but others are crazy such as the new home tax.

(note the above taxes are proposed tax not certain policy)

see no mud slinging

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
with all these promises how will they fork
since it would require sh*t loads of tax money
meaning increase in taxes and we already pay enough

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I refer you to my learned friend Bodrul's reply given some moments ago.

Lib Dem policies are an interesting thing.
In many respects they are very similar to Labour policies but laid on a lot thicker and all to happen right now.
Quite how they think they're going to get paid for is, sadly, their usual blind-spot.

(....and I suggest anyone rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of a local income tax as the answer to local authority funding might like to think about what they might end up paying.
If you think it's all going to be paid for by 'rich people' and everyone else is going to have to pay buttons I think you'll find you're fooling yourselves.)

In 2001 the Lib-Dems proposed huge swathes of additional expendature that was supposed to be funded by the mythical (magic?) 1 penny increase in income tax - and yet Labour in the gov term 2001 - 2005 managed to invest sums above what the Lib-Dems had actually called for and cut the basic rate of income tax by a penny (even if they did later raise national insurance by 1 penny - a method which gave least burden to the least well off BTW).

[edit on 27-1-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Isnt there a differnts bewteen affordable health/education and free health/education? Middle/low income people shouldnt have to breake the bank to vist the doctor and get an education. Another example is student loans there is no need to charge interest on top of the loan.
Another way of looking at it is I should only pay $10-15 instead of $35 to vist the doctor.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I have to agree with the general concensus here; the LibDems have some good intentions, but the inevitable tax hikes are a sticking point, and will be for most I expect.
On the other hand one could say that if you want a high standard of public services, then you have to pay for them.

Originally posted by UK Wizard
[

Some new taxes the Lib Dems propose are:
a new 50% income tax rate, a water tax, a dog tax, a parking tax, smoker's tax, a new homes tax, a business land tax, and a City of London tax.development tax, an exchange and capital flows tax, a higher landfill tax, a waste tax, plastic bag tax, pesticide tax, overseas territories tax, a double whammy inheritance tax, energy tax, pensions tax, airport tax, congestion tax, and a new tax on 4x4 vehicles.

Some of these taxes are fair, for example the plastic bag tax but others are crazy such as the new home tax.

(note the above taxes are proposed tax not certain policy)

I agree 100%, Especially with the 'New Home Tax'. It just seems badly though out. I mean, looking at the current housing market, and shortage of affordable homes, it's obvious that the construction of new homes is of great importance and should be encouraged rather than constricted by extra taxing. As a prospective first time home buyer, I'm somewhat concerned by the LibDem's proposed tax on new homes.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paul
I have to agree with the general concensus here; the LibDems have some good intentions, but the inevitable tax hikes are a sticking point, and will be for most I expect.
On the other hand one could say that if you want a high standard of public services, then you have to pay for them.

i believe thats the way they do things in Norway. people are happy to pay because they are well provided for

new topics

top topics

join