It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is.... "Real News"?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
So I figured since we all have no idea what "fake news" actually means or what's being referenced with this new political narrative being driven home by big media corporations, we might want to define "Real News".

First let's look at what "Fake News" is.

Wiki

Since there's no real source of information for this I'm going with Wiki. If you care to redefine what fake news is to you then please do so without attacking the source.

Fake news websites are websites that publish hoaxes, propaganda, and disinformation to increase web traffic through sharing on social media. Unlike news satire, where humor is the object, fake news websites seek to increase their traffic by knowingly circulating false stories. Fake news websites have promoted misleading or factually incorrect information concerning the politics of several countries including: Germany, Indonesia and the Philippines, Sweden, China, Myanmar, Italy, France, Brazil, Australia, India, and the United States. Many of the false news sites are hosted in Russia, Macedonia, Romania, and the U.S.

Sooo..... who's deciding what a hoax is, or what's disinformation?

What's this narrative really mean and how did it work it's way onto the boards this quickly?

This reminds me of the "alt right", terms I never heard before it came out of Hillary's mouth.

Another Wiki

The Real News Network

The stated goal of The Real News is to provide independent, uncompromising, verifiable worldwide coverage of the critical issues of our times. The Real News provides forums where its work can be debated and criticized, purportedly in order to bring awareness of its potential biases and how such biases may affect the network's coverage.[5]

The Real News does not accept funding from advertising, governments, or corporations. Though the organization initially intended to sustain itself exclusively on viewer donations after its first three years of broadcast, it has not yet reached its sustainability goal. TRNN is therefore partially reliant upon grant money for its operating funds.[6]

Oddly enough their running on the value for value business model.

Who do you think this company was designed to target?

Have you seen the ratings change during this election cycle from CNN and MSNBC to...... you guessed it.... Alex Jones and other alternative media sources for information.

Have any of you noticed the rise in popularity of alternative news....???

I'm guessing that certain forces in this world have taken notice of the culture shift happening here in the US and other Western nations... similar to what just happened with BRexit and Italy... with more referendums to come.

I'm assuming that NGO's and other charitble organizations will be create as watchdog organizations to funnel money into the movement and help guide us in the "right" direction.

So back to my original question...

What's "Real News"... and who's going to define it?
edit on 7-12-2016 by Darkmadness because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Real news is whatever TPTB decide it is and if you dont tow that line youll be removed from google searches and have Ad revenue taken away.

Real news doesnt have to be true news it just has to be "official"

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I really do not think it has anything to do with "fake" news...

That is a red herring.

What they want to stop is "anonymous" sources....... the goal is to associate "anonymous" sources with "fake" news. To muddy the water so to speak.
edit on R582016-12-07T08:58:26-06:00k5812Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

I just got real nervous and the rhetoric from the DNC this year and the resulting actions of losing the elections have officially scared me and awoken me up to the fact that humanity has a real enemy.

The Royal House of Saud are one of the many forces behind this drive including the Rothschild and Rockefeller regimes.

I've never been so awake as I am right now after witnessing the events of 2016.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
You guys pretending you don't know what fake news actually is make me laugh.

Heartily.

link   
Real news = liberal drivel
Fake news = reporting on reality

Progressives are creating the thought police one step at a time...

Talk with newspeak or face the consequences...

Heck, even ATS is censoring "news" now....

We little people can't discern what is and is not news...liberal elites will make the decisions about what we should and should not know..

Thanks progressive...

-Chris

link   
Anything on TV, radio and certain internet sites is fake news, or real news after a strong filter.

We are always being lied to.

Rule of thumb: Dont EVER trust government or religious authorities.

They are liars among other things so as to keep power.

Dont trust ANY media source that has to function within an empire like our own.

They MUST lie in order to exist.

In short, it really is ALL BS. Distrust all, defy all, rebel against all....last as long as possible doing such.

ALWAYS play the long game.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Please feel free to present an argument with evidence so we can begin to define what "fake news" is as a basis for conversation.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Darkmadness

Please feel free to present an argument with evidence so we can begin to define what "fake news" is as a basis for conversation.

No, I'm not playing your game.

We all know what fake news is.
Stop with the bs, get out the echo chamber and stop relying on clickbait confirmation bias.

Or go back to talking about Hillary coughing up reptilian eggs.
I couldn't care less.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

We all "know" but can't define??

What's factually accurate and who's in charge of making that call?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkmadness

I think you have to start using emoticons after each article to prove its satire

What comes next is a questionable station like CNN producing its own fake news just to call out another station for using it, thus establishing them as ethical station. Or as they want you to portray them.

Oh yea.

link   
a reply to: Darkmadness

What is...."Real News"?

Google 'Scott Foval' and 'Robert Creamer' and 'Project Veritas Action' and have a read - I think you'll see that this basket of deplorables is the real deal (much to the dismay of HRC and her supporters).

and if you Google 'Hillary Clinton Green screen' you'll see the Lords-of-fake do their thing.

link   
Unbiased journalistic credibility is the key to separating real from fake news.

Although, it's extremely rare.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: pale5218

Oh god good point.

CNN is probably already doing this.

Are you their chief strategist?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
There is no such thing as real news. If anyone says their news is the real news it offends me if my view is not the same, so from what my brain has told me through my years of experiences is real news, is only my perception of what is being reported.

See how I did that? Unfortunately real news is in the eye of the beholder and can be interpreted any which way they please in their own mind. Similar to how MSM, considered real news apparently, reported that HRC was going to win the election....unfortunately for those whose perceptions aligned with what they thought was real news, this did not occur and as such is creating fallout from now having to come to grips with being lied to by something they trusted.

Anywho....fun thread!

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

What is "real news?"

News that I decide is real.

It becomes fake when I impart the information and someone else convinces me that it's wrong. Creating your own reality, without harming yourself and others is the pinnacle of freedom.

When the narrative serves an agenda, news takes on a different form altogether. When sources of information are tailored, it's a clear indicator that the intended narrative is under attack and weakening.

edit on 7-12-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
What the government tells you is real news (evidently)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
I really do not think it has anything to do with "fake" news...

That is a red herring.

What they want to stop is "anonymous" sources....... the goal is to associate "anonymous" sources with "fake" news. To muddy the water so to speak.

Good thing this didnt exist in the Nixon days , huh...?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I just had to double check what Alt-Right actually is. Then I read among other things that 'immigration critics' are considered Alt-Right.

This brings me to 'fake news'. If people who have a genuine concern would find out something substantially bad about immigration and voice their concern, this would count as 'something only a small, evil group believes'.

Therefore anyone [not just actual Alt-Righters] would be stopped by censorship to publish anything about it. If it was an actual alternative news site, all they would need to say is that considering the 'illegal opinion', this site is a 'False News' website. Despite it being true.

Wow and that was just one example how the truth can be stopped.

Next step is that anyone agreeing with such a site may also be implicated and punished.

The descent has begun, right in front of our eyes. Now we should understand how people in the past got sucked in. Slowly.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
You guys pretending you don't know what fake news actually is make me laugh.

Heartily.

What is meant by "you guys"? If you start out bigoted , you end up bigoted..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join