It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for a job? Thinking about college?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Hi,

I know a lot of people are having a hard time finding so allow me to share with you what jobs are having a hard time filling positions and if you know more please add. These positions are going unfilled and are starting at $15-18 and pay 20-25 an hour after apprentice and higher for management and specialized positions.

In fact you may want to tell your kid to skip the college debt paradigm and get right into mastering a trade skill.

In my area the available jobs making 50k a year after apprenticeship are as follows -

Source

CNC machinists work with computer numeric controlled (CNC) heavy machinery from setup to operation to produce parts and tools from metal, plastic or other materials. Computer numeric controlled equipment is precision machinery that cuts, grinds, or drills into the material. CNC machinists make adjustments to the machine to control speed, material feed and path of the cut, as well as make sure the machines are set up properly, working well, and producing quality product. CNC machinists make sure their machines are working at full capacity, are stocked with needed materials, well-maintained and perform periodic checks on output. They look at the finished product to ensure it is defect-free and ready for the next step in production.

Machinist are in short order and shops will usually pay you better then they would have in the past due to the fact that they can't staff their shops.

Source

Responsible for operating and maintaining machines that extrude or draw out thermoplastic or metal materials into hoses, bars, tubes, rods, wires, or structures.

Machine operator trainee starting at $18 an hour and ending at around $23 an hour with tons of overtime.

Source

Press operators can make very good money and typically move into management and sales positions as in depth knowledge of the printing process is typically required for those jobs.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkmadness

Some of this is vastly untrue. Companies, losing income and business to other competitors, is changing the industrial complex to robots, and automation. Realistically...even in the late 1980's and up thru 2000, many places...like here in Detroit..I was responsible for running first 1 machine and then switching to handle 2.

There were times when I would run a whole line of machines...taking the work away from 6 people. And now a days its worse. Automation saves time, $$$, benefits and taxes so that companies can survive. I can give you a perfect example. 3 D printing.

3D printing and what it makes? That can represent up to 10-15 people would would normally make that by machining processes. What I dont see taking into account...is HOW many machinists, tool and die, formers, press operators will really be producing anything now into the future.

For you? I would contact your local Machinist Union locally to you, and talk to the President or the Steward and discuss the future of factory jobs. If anything...automation and running that automation...will be the jobs to go into. Not the singularity of one man one machine: a machinist.

These industrial jobs were once the best choice for a good paying job. Outsourcing and automation have taken over that. And will only get worse. I would challenger ANY source you find online, or in print.

GO TALK WITH SOMEONE IN THE INDUSTRY. Ask them about the future of this carreer and others within and around it. Good luck to you....

Best, Mysterioustranger

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Interesting and decent money for a young person.

I'd like to add, if someone would be so inclined to do, anything in a healthcare related field.

In my area, for example, one can attend LPN school and receive their license in one year, if they choose the all day classes, or 18 months if they choose to go to night classes only.

The company that I work for starts LPNs with no prior experience (straight from graduation) at between $17-22/hour.

They can 'use' us to gain 'hands on' experience while earning a salary (not too bad of one for a young 19 or 20 year old) and gain the one year of experience that, quite often, better paying companies prefer LPNs to have.

Not too bad, IMO, although not everyone is going to be compatible in a health care/social service type related field.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Hate to burst your bubble but these jobs are hiring across the country in many places and can't find qualified employees.

Younger kids don't even know these jobs exist.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Darkmadness
Hate to burst your bubble but these jobs are hiring across the country in many places and can't find qualified employees.

There are positions with some aerospace and medical device companies in the New York area I work with that pay $90,000+ after two years since they cannot get anyone to do these jobs.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I second chirps statement. Healthcare is a very rewarding field.

Also check with your local hospitals. Because of nursing shortages many will help cover the cost of school for many positions if you agree to work for them for a certain period of time.

And it doesn't have to be nursing. I work in IT and they are assisting me extend my education (although I think some with jobs that aren't hard to fill you have to work there before they will help).

S&F great thread!

edit on 12/4/2016 by Martin75 because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Youre correct. Im suggesting these are few and far between. But you are right...to a limited degree. And many dont last long...either by job-work order until completed, or company's future viability to continue or go out of business.

Thanks AM

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
Youre correct. Im suggesting these are few and far between. But you are right...to a limited degree. And many dont last long...either by job-work order until completed, or company's future viability to continue or go out of business.

Thanks AM

Right now there are plenty of openings at this positions. I have a few guys in my lodge that do CNC and are constantly getting competing offers to switch companies. What the future brings is a different scenario but right now the gettings are good.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

You would be bursting your own bubble..because "kids" dont have the knowledge from people currently or laid off from these jobs and why. Talk to people in any career choice 1st..before spending 2 years and $20,000 in have to be paid back student loans.

100,000's of grads are in that position now. Even I.T.T. Tech got nailed as being training not always accepted for hiring, credits not transferrable, and the jobs...after 2 years school..if they WERE there...arent upon graduating.

Just...check it out...not online...in person...talk to those in field...and make educated decisions about the reality of futures with your career choice(s).

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Welding isn't glamorous but companies here will pay for your welding school while you work for them. welders are in big demand everywhere. A friend who is Nuclear certified makes $1000 a day for just showing up whether they have work or not.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
A friend who is Nuclear certified makes $1000 a day for just showing up whether they have work or not.

My buddy does that. He is one of the few people in the state that got that cert and makes a very good living.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

A friend who is Nuclear certified makes $1000 a day for just showing up whether they have work or not.

My buddy does that. He is one of the few people in the state that got that cert and makes a very good living.

Not something you get o overnight but it makes for a nice living.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Not something you get o overnight but it makes for a nice living.

Very true.

He did some side work for me on a car frame since it was rusted and I needed to replace the side rails. When I took it to the national show to get judged the undercarriage judge said he knew that it had to have been welded but the job was done so well he could not identify the weld marks and was unable to give me a deduction.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Trade skills are great. And many of them allow you to start your own business after reaching journeyman. I have several friends, electricians, masons, etc, who all worked for someone else to learn their trades, then started their own businesses and are doing great. They may not be millionaires...yet...but they are on their way. Make your wife the owner of the business and get the minority tax breaks and government jobs, and run like hell to the bank every chance you get.

Health care will always be in need but be careful which area you choose. My wife works in a hospital and many departments are taking huge cuts in pay right now as more and more hospitals merge into mega businesses with redundant skills.

When I was younger CADD was the big deal - computer aided design and drafting. The mistake a lot of people made was just learning how to work the software. Anyone can do that. In order to make the bucks you have to specialize in a discipline and master it. That still holds true today. I chose the mechanical and structural disciplines and specialized in valves and pressure vessels, high pressure piping, etc. I ended up designing containment/isolation vessels for power generation stations, working with NASA on specialized launch vehicle applications, designing high pressure piping for Trident submarines, and so on. I ended up working for one of the largest military contractors in the country still specialized in high pressure piping and vessels for specialized use I can not describe in detail. In today's market get yourself some skills in a good parametric design package like SolidWorks, or AutoDesk Inventor. The more different software packages you know the more marketable you are. then specialize and start making the bucks.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

There are positions with some aerospace and medical device companies in the New York area I work with that pay $90,000+ after two years since they cannot get anyone to do these jobs.

Post a link I'll do it.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Post a link I'll do it.

These are not advertised positions it is all via recruiting and/or reference.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I know you're trying to give people alternatives, and the wages you mention sound appealing compared to minimum wage, but advertising non college jobs as $23/hour is crap. $23/hour has the same purchasing power today as minimum wage did in 1967. It's not exactly a big step up. It's also not a wage you'll ever get wealthy on. At best you'll get the bills paid.

There are a lot of college opportunities available that go well beyond that, for those willing to put in the work. And if you shop around, college isn't that expensive... the real expense is in supporting yourself while you attend.

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
They may not be millionaires...yet...but they are on their way.

Becoming a millionaire today isn't much of an accomplishment due to inflation. You need $10 million today for it to mean the same thing as having a million in 1970.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I know trust me I have one of these jobs and after taxes and Obamacare I feel poor.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Post a link I'll do it.

These are not advertised positions it is all via recruiting and/or reference.

Of course.. you get the job based on nepotism and not actual work ethic or skill.

This is a primary reason for such discord among people living in areas where there aren't many people with good jobs.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Of course.. you get the job based on nepotism and not actual work ethic or skill.

This is a primary reason for such discord among people living in areas where there aren't many people with good jobs.

Guess you missed the recruiter part.

<<   2 >>

join