It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad diy, if your not good at something then just don't do it.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
It boils my blood it really does, why do something badly and then think it is ok?

Over the years I have seen so much it is absurd, often dangerous and at best just embarresing.

I am making this thread for what I imagine will be an ongoing form of therapy for me, when I come across it I can take a pic and put it here have a good vent and then move on.

What caused me to feel this way you ask?

I found this in my new ladys house, I was stripping the walls to decorate and is normally hidden behind a door that never gets closed.

It has been like this for al least 10 years and they all seem to think that it is not something of concern but it is killing me and will be ripping out the whole of the woodwork in the room and starting from scrach because of this.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

You would have loved all the stuff I had to undo at my house.

Popcorn ceilings and wallpaper since the previous owners did not know how to repair plaster being one of the worst offenses.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Hmm the mitre cut looks correct from this perspective, obviosly they didnt nail to a stud...is that water damage coming in on the lefty side that originally caused the shoddy repair?

link   
I can't quite tell, but did they just cut that straight across or did they even try to overlap with a 45*?
Something else that bugs me, is folks who just slather layers of paint on something. Look at that pic for an example. I'm all for folks trying DYI, but take your time and Do. It. Right.
People don't realize they're just setting themselves up for future problems, when they rush through these things.

link   
At the very least, fix that trim. 😳
How could that be so screwed up - glued and slipped?

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

"popcorn ceilings"
Another way to say "I have no idea what I'm doing, so this will cover my mistakes"

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Not really seeing why you would redo all the woodwork when what you show is an easy fix. I have done remodeling for many years and that is a simple fix. Make it look normal in very little time. Repaint and good as new.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
How could anybody even stand looking at that trim?
That would eat at me till it was fixed.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

in Carpentry you typically cut molding joined in the field at 30 degrees facing away from the eye. It looks from the limited perspective that some dingus either attempted a repair by cutting the 30 in the field, and didnt in turn level and tack into the stud, as you can see the caulking line from where the chair rail once was. probably isnt a stud, perhaps lath and plaster, too many questions to properly rip into this obvious blunder.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
We are living with the consequences of the previous owners' attempts to do a tile shower/bathrub. They did not get it sealed properly, and we can't get the money to properly undo their mess. It's a constant battle against the water seeping into everything.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Hmm the mitre cut looks correct from this perspective, obviosly they didnt nail to a stud...is that water damage coming in on the lefty side that originally caused the shoddy repair?

I think that is what is getting to me.

Whoever did this not only knew the correct way to do the job but had the right tools to do so, I am inclined to think that they cut it short and had a choice of a gap at the end or offset it and then just thought "# it".

words fail me.

Not water damage but glue where they had to bodge the wallpaper because of the drop in the dado rail...

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
"popcorn ceilings"
Another way to say "I have no idea what I'm doing, so this will cover my mistakes"

Yeah, it's like the camouflage of the interior decorating world.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: lonegurkha
Not really seeing why you would redo all the woodwork when what you show is an easy fix. I have done remodeling for many years and that is a simple fix. Make it look normal in very little time. Repaint and good as new.

If I take it off then refi it level there will be a gap. I cannot match the profile so unless I spend an age with the router table trying to recreate the profile for 5 inches of wood it will still be wrong.

Add to the fact that the eisting woodwork is pissed and looks like it has been painted with a 4 inch brush by a drunken blind person and that I have to live with it I would prefer to rip it all out and know that it is done right.

It's what I do.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
It is a solid brick wall so no stud excuses and if it had slipped it would not be flush to the door archectrave.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I say rip into it all or perhaps just replace the rail and leave the decorative wall board if its salvageable. If not looks like a candidate for some bead board with the aforementioned new rail. Can you build the old rail from pieces? Ive done that a few times on baseboard, but that rail looks iffy.
edit on 3-12-2016 by BlueJacket because: sp

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I've seen entire buildings lean south because of it's owners desire to do it cheap.

I feel for those buildings, I think I can hear them screaming now, in the distance..

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

yeesh more work than a 5 inch absurdity and a bad paint job deserve.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Is popcorn what we call artex? stipply or patterned gunk to cover up bad ceilings?

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I think so. It is paper-based Styrofoam sprayed on to cover imperfections.

I had to repair quite a few cracks that these potato heads left alone. Instead of mitigating the issue they covered it up.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Well if the rest of it is shot then you have to replace it all if you can't match it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join