It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad diy, if your not good at something then just don't do it.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

That's why the Georgians wore wigs, I believe. They secreted little springs under them to enable themselves to bounce upside down through the doors.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Cut the full length of paper you need then apply paste to as much as you can then fold that up concertina styles sticky side to sticky side, then paste the remainder.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: berenike

Papering a ceiling is a lot easier than doing a wall you just fold the paper consertina style every 18-24 inches and use a other roll of paper under it when papering just reading your post again and it seems you were short on a plank for scaffolding , i am that tall i use 2-3 tubs stuck together and stand on them rather than use steps or planks . keep your feet at ten to two and shift your weight about .

Had plenty laughs with that one

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

a reply to: stonerwilliam

oh

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Lol I can reach most ceilings with my trusty old milk crate. It is an essential tool in my plastering department, I'd be gutted if it got broken, not sure where I'd get another one.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I often have to remind myself that what seems obvious to someone may not be apperent to others.

The other day I had to replace some wate pipe plumbing, it was simply cutting a 2ft length of 40mm wastepipe and replacing it alongside 2 compression elbows. I aske him why he had called me in for such a simple job and he said he would have no idea about how to go about something as complicated as that!

He was watching me in awe as I used a saw to cut the pipe using the old bit as a guideand then stuck the pipe into the elbows and tightened them up.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Lol I can reach most ceilings with my trusty old milk crate. It is an essential tool in my plastering department, I'd be gutted if it got broken, not sure where I'd get another one.

I was thinking that the other day as no longer have one, I am suprised you cannot buy them in screwfix given how they are so important to so many trades.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

*edit*
I hate papering, don't like the feel of the paste or the tedious nature of it.
I'd two coat plaster a ceiling before I'd paper one, every time.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

*edit*
I hate papering, don't like the feel of the paste or the tedious nature of it.
I'd two coat plaster a ceiling before I'd paper one, every time.

agreed on hating it. The only things I hate more than wallpapering are painting walls magnolia and digging holes.

I really hate digging holes.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

The reason my ceiling needed papering was because a friend had fixed a large hole in it, using concrete.

The reason for the hole was because I'd had to remove some ceiling tiles due to being showered with maggots thanks to the filthy bastards upstairs leaving rubbish rotting in their kitchen.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Haha true!
They are the perfect hop-up, and turn them the other way you can carry stuff in one.

The delivery companies serving hotel kitchens and such in my area use milk crates, I might chat to a driver next time I see one, could get a new crate for a fiver I reckon...maybe free if the dude is cool.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Ames taper and dabber here . using the bucket idea on a hard floor i can get round a room a lot quicker than steps as you do not need to come down to move never seen it used anywhere else but my home area

i saw some weird crap with a plumb line when i was a apprentice one of my old journymen had this plumb bob that looked like a lump of coal and was as heavy as hell but he told me it was actually some knot from African wood ? we were doing a old cottage that had been built over a burn/ stream with really high walls 12 foot plus the bedroom of the house had sunk where it was over the stream and i plumbed from the middle of the room but when i put this plumb line over the ling it got weightless
this thing weighed about half a bag of sugar it was heavy but over the water it became nearly weightless .

The old guy the house belonged to got a couple of clear bik pen holders and put rods in them and showed me a neat dowsing trick outside at the stream .

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

Ames taper and dabber here . using the bucket idea on a hard floor i can get round a room a lot quicker than steps as you do not need to come down to move never seen it used anywhere else but my home area

i saw some weird crap with a plumb line when i was a apprentice one of my old journymen had this plumb bob that looked like a lump of coal and was as heavy as hell but he told me it was actually some knot from African wood ? we were doing a old cottage that had been built over a burn/ stream with really high walls 12 foot plus the bedroom of the house had sunk where it was over the stream and i plumbed from the middle of the room but when i put this plumb line over the ling it got weightless
this thing weighed about half a bag of sugar it was heavy but over the water it became nearly weightless .

The old guy the house belonged to got a couple of clear bik pen holders and put rods in them and showed me a neat dowsing trick outside at the stream .

I was working on a strawbale house a few years ago and we were struggling to find anything solid to fix to.

The owner came in with a crystal and begas dowsing claiming that the particular crystal he had fetched would detect the wood...

He made me stand motionless drill in hand while he dowsed and when he gave me a nod and a point I would drill deep into the wall only to hit nothing.

I swear we did this about 140 times and after an hour had not managed to hit a single upright and the wall looked like it had been hit with a musket.

In the end we gave up and used gripfill and dovetailed a load of nails into it and hoped for the best and spent the rest of the day filling all the holes.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Concrete to repair a ceiling?
Is the building a concrete structure, how'd the hole happen, maggots have diamond tipped teeth?!
I'm intrigued!

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Concrete to repair a ceiling?
Is the building a concrete structure, how'd the hole happen, maggots have diamond tipped teeth?!
I'm intrigued!

I recon his mate had some chipping about and decided to help.

I had my first go at lath and plaster on a ceiling the other day, big hole where a stud wall was taken out badly.

I was well chuffed when it did not all fall off, plastering is not exactly my forte.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

You should have tapped the walls like a doctor does a human chest two fingers and listened for the thud or every 1200 mm but that might be different in that kind of build

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Plastering and rendering is my favourite part of any job, and freestyling is the absolute best.
Many old houses in my area didn't use edge beading so sexy curves joining walls etc is the order of the day.

yep, lime rendering is a joy to me, it feels more like art/sculpture, I love it.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

The ceiling had a sort of dip caused, I think, by water when the upstairs flat was renovated and a kitchen put there. Due to the renovations there was a problem with noise and no sound-proofing.

So this eejit told me that polystyrene ceiling tiles would help insulate the place against the noise. So we tiled the ceiling even managing to cover the bump - although not very well.

Fast forward a while and I'm sitting there, probably eating chocolate and reading the Beano, and something fell on me - a freaking maggot.

This happened a few times and then stopped. Why? Because the maggots had all grown up into flies. I'd come home from work and find about a dozen of them warming themselves up on the sides of my snake tank.

I had to get my small fishing net to catch them all and put them outside, which got tedious.

So, the tiles had to come down and a large portion of the ceiling (the bumpy bit) came down with them. I suspect the creatures had fallen through gaps in the upstairs floorboards and there wasn't much to stop them munching through or falling through the damaged plaster on my ceiling, and from there they fell onto me from the joins in the tiles.

Now you're glad you asked, I'll bet.

edit on 6-12-2016 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Hahaha what a story!

New suspended ceiling out of 4x2, with 25mm foam insulated plasterboard, two coats of plaster and you'd have a beautifully smooth ceiling with no noise from above.

I'll do you a quote if you like?
ATS rates

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

If I'd only known you back then you could have done the whole place.

As it was I paid someone 800 quid to put some sort of filling / insulating stuff under upstairs' floorboards. Didn't make a damn bit of difference.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join