It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all weekend guitar warriors

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: tetra50

Hi Tetra! So awesome to hear that your a weekend rockstar!!! I'm an in between work/kids/sleep style player myself.

As to your post, where are you getting your music from?

I personally go here: www.ultimate-guitar.com...

I use their free tabs and generally if anything other than open E tuning is used, it is noted.

There are some paid services as well that have fancy graphics and I think backing tracks that you can play through.

If your trying to nail the exact tone on a certain album or song. Then I wish you the best of luck!! Many hours and dollars are spent in finely crafting the sound they are chasing. I've a few solutions should you be alluding to that but I think, from your post that you are simply looking for music and tablature.

Hey JimMI: No that's not what I'm looking for, as I'm well acquainted with your linking, but thanks for that, anyhow.
I am truly talking about tuning to a specific scale and key for a specific song.....
My last poster had it, but.....it's all in the tuning, and special controls for sound on your electric guitar. I'm not looking for the last finesse....as that's musicianship, and prob should be protected. But I've noticed watching live the people I wanna sound like, they are constantly tuning and adjusting, which is why I can't replicate their sound.....

This is kinda the bigger question, were I to play "devil's advocate," on my own thread: If the internet and computer tech is supposed to "level" the playing field and make all things accessible to all people, then why shouldn't we build in access for what I'm talking about, so every weekend warrior guitarist like me, not so musically educated or inclined, can access a site that allows me to specifically tune my guitar to the right key in which the song I'm trying to learn how to play will sound the same is what I'm hearing and wanting to replicate?
love to you
tetra

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
so sorry. I've had the same happen to me, with my instruments, and missed them like a long lost friend, afterwards.
Try to focus, I think, on what playing music did for you, on the whole, and get back even a very cheap instrument for that.....
tetra

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Ok so if I'm reading your post correctly, you want the same tone as what your hearing. Whether it be on stage or in a studio? If so I have a few questions.

Do you play through an amp or your computer?

Have a few artists sounds that you are trying to replicate?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

a reply to: Naturallywired

Are you in the states? CL is a great place to pick one up especially at this time of year.

a pawn shop is an excellent place to find a good, cheap one.
second
tetra

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Ok so if I'm reading your post correctly, you want the same tone as what your hearing. Whether it be on stage or in a studio? If so I have a few questions.

Do you play through an amp or your computer?

Have a few artists sounds that you are trying to replicate?

Hope that works. And I play through a Marshall amp. I have his guitar that he recorded this song with...ahh, hope that works now. CC Adcock and the Lafayette Marquis, in case it doesn't.

tetra
edit on 1-12-2016 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Sure, pawnshops are a good go to. Private sellers are for the true cheapskate however!! You'll have to trust me on this.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluesjr

Hey Tetra, One trick I use is to bring MP3s into the free tool Audacity where you can key shift them. This doesn't work of course for any alternate tunings, but it helps on songs where the artist tuned down a step or a half-step. I also use this to bring songs down or up a step to help me play them in a vocal key that is in my range.

I own and am the producer of a small indie label, not my day job just my main hobby. I have too many guitars and amps and processors from decades of Gear Aquisition Syndrome and sometimes equipment is the reason someone can't quite replicate a song, but in my experience technique is usually the main reason. I know guitarists that are much better than I and they can make a $100 guitar and a $100 amp sound better than many players who have expensive rigs. In particular, being able to have a soulful vibrato technique with the left hand does wonders to tone.

Great advice, bluesjr, thanks so much.
I hear ya.

I sing as well, and through the years I've noticed it would be quite helpful to have a quick fix to change the key of a song to what my voice is attuned to, which is what I'm talking about doing on a widescale, application, website function...
tetra
ps. happy playing, for sure

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Did you try Rocksmith 2014 ?

It's a great software, I don't know why it's considered a game. It comes with virtual amps, effects and stuff, you can make your guitar in so many ways.

No Trueman, I haven't tried that program, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the advice.
tetra

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Hi TST-Youre right. Personally, I usuaully can play most anything on guitar of piano in any key and make it sound like the original. Tell me what song and in what key and lets go....

The original of anything...is exact. And can be written out or figured out. Keys and equipment have a lot to do with things, sound, pitch, timbre, sustain and effect.

I can think of a few songs that pretty much have to be played in the original key because of where the positioning of the guitar parts or solo is. "Stairway to Heaven"-Led Zeppelin is one good example because of the open A descending chord progression from the 5th fret. Jimmy Page knew that when he wrote it...

But, still..anything can be played in any key with even completely different chords (the RIGHT ones of course...but in the newer key)...and to the untrained audience ear...it will sound the same.

In my road days...if I was sick? We could tune the guitar DOWN to Eb or D so I could sing with a cold. Played the same...but truly in another key.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I think you should look into getting a DAW, an audio interface for at least 2 channels (guitar and vocals) and some headphones or monitors.

Then you should look into Guitar Rig or Bias FX. These have some great amazing plugins (tone libraries) that you can use.

I imagine your fairly tech savvy?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Hi TST-Youre right. Personally, I usuaully can play most anything on guitar of piano in any key and make it sound like the original. Tell me what song and in what key and lets go....

The original of anything...is exact. And can be written out or figured out. Keys and equipment have a lot to do with things, sound, pitch, timbre, sustain and effect.

I can think of a few songs that pretty much have to be played in the original key because of where the positioning of the guitar parts or solo is. "Stairway to Heaven"-Led Zeppelin is one good example because of the open A descending chord progression from the 5th fret. Jimmy Page knew that when he wrote it...

But, still..anything can be played in any key with even completely different chords (the RIGHT ones of course...but in the newer key)...and to the untrained audience ear...it will sound the same.

In my road days...if I was sick? We could tune the guitar DOWN to Eb or D so I could sing with a cold. Played the same...but truly in another key.

However, the point of the thread and idea is, my friend, that not everyone can do what you claim you can...and making that accessible to absolutely everyone.....
that's the point of my post. Congratulations to you that you have that facility, for not all of us do.
tetra

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I think you should look into getting a DAW, an audio interface for at least 2 channels (guitar and vocals) and some headphones or monitors.

Then you should look into Guitar Rig or Bias FX. These have some great amazing plugins (tone libraries) that you can use.

I imagine your fairly tech savvy?

Yah, thanks JimMI: I will look into that. And try to fix my youtube link, too....lol
thanks for your input, my friend.
tet

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Very welcome and if there are any hiccups, please ask. I have a little experience setting it up but there is also an engineer in the thread as well!

Just be weary before swiping your credit card! Many things can be had very cheap if not free.

Setting up and recording your song or cover will allow you to change the tones/distortion/pitch/octave after you record if that is what you wish to do. You could also set it up to record directly off of your amp if you wish.

Lots more possibilities than the traditional guitar + amp

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Hi again...my rig is about a quarter of that...but down to really a Strat and Les Paul, a Digitech Multi FX pedal, Cry Baby wah wah, on board fx in my Vox Valvestate, into my Marshall Super 100. That I split in stereo with either 2-3 or 4 (occasionally a fifth) cabs.

One 4-12 stage left, one 4-12 stage right...sometimes one behind me....and my keyboard stack (3-piano, synth and midi controller) into it all as well thru a Berhinger mixer. Plus much more in EQ's,midi, etc...

Still...with all this? Just gimme a damn acoustic and a small baby grand and I'd die and happy man.....

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Very welcome and if there are any hiccups, please ask. I have a little experience setting it up but there is also an engineer in the thread as well!

Just be weary before swiping your credit card! Many things can be had very cheap if not free.

Setting up and recording your song or cover will allow you to change the tones/distortion/pitch/octave after you record if that is what you wish to do. You could also set it up to record directly off of your amp if you wish.

Lots more possibilities than the traditional guitar + amp

Hey JinMI: I've fixed my link where you asked for artists and sounds I was trying to replicate. Pls refer back to that video.

Thanks for all your input.
But what I'm really getting at here is a website and platform for "dummies" to do what I've described. I sense if you built such a site, and could embed it on every chord/lyrics page for every song, you'd make a friggin ton of money....
not that I'm greedy, but.....lol
have an excellent evening, my friend.
tet

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
so everyone, I fixed my youtbube link. This is the sound with my marshall amp, and the artist's original guitar I'm trying to replicate....
However, the wider issue, which I thank all of you for your input, is if such a website, or app, built would be beneficial to armchair musicians, computer copying sound webineers, so to speak.....to help us all replicate that original sound, in a manassas of ways to make a sound, to begin with, that's original.
Happy playing and listening, everyone. May we all be rockstars in our living rooms, minds and wherever else we can make that happen.
Make a joyful noise. LOL
tet

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Hey tetra, a couple thoughts....

If you're an apple hardware devotee, an iRig and an app called AmpliTube might fit the bill for you. The iRig lets you plug your guitar (or bass) into your iPhone/iPad/mac and use AmpliTube or GarageBand as an amp simulator. Amplitube also has a tuner function built in that might help you get to the alternate tuning you're looking for.

Not exactly along the same lines, but I use the songsterr.com website occasionally when I'm trying to figure out some random guitar part. It's open source, so the info is hit or miss, but sometimes can be surprisingly helpful.

I'm no superstar musician or anything, but I do pretend to be a competent guitar player in a local cover band sometimes. If you have specific questions feel free to hit me up anytime. I might even be able to answer them.

reply to: tetra50

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

To my ears it sounds like a strat or a tele through a fender or other super clean boutique.

That might be rather difficult to get the brighter tones out of a Marshall. Hard tellin not knowin!

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Here is a better representation of the sound I'm trying to emulate:

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

FYI -Guitars are not tuned to different scales. Standard tuning is A 440 with a low E. A scale is a series of notes in a particular order.

There ARE however open tunings...many I use myself...where the guitar... 6-down thru the 1st strings are tuned to a specific chord and gets a certain uniqueness to its sound not available with 1 position or bar chords.

Say a E major chord with E B E C# B E open tuning. You can have the lead player playing a bar chord E 7th fret...the rythmn player playing a bar C position chord at the 4th fret...and you playing the open E. All E...all at the same time...in all different positions.

Still...tuned to the standard old E on the piano. No scales. Good luck!

edit on 1-12-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join