It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Vatican Has Paid Close To $4 Billion To Settle Child Molestation Lawsuits

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

While you can’t put a price on the innocence of a child, you can put a price on just how much the Roman Catholic Church has paid out in lawsuits over the never-ending epidemic of child molestation wreaking havoc in its ranks.

According to Jack and Diane Ruhl of the National Catholic Reporter, who decided to research this particular topic, since 1950, the Vatican has spent a disgusting $3,994,797,060.10.

That’s nearly $4 billion to keep things hush hush. That number may even be a bit conservative, as we cannot know for sure the agreed upon “under the table” amount.

The figure is based on a three-month investigation of data, which includes a review of over 7,800 articles from LexisNexis Academic and NCR databases and information from BishopAccountability.org. Reports from the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops were also used.
csglobe.com...

This is disturbing. I never realized how bad it was.

The number was closer to $3 billion in April 2014

Sex Abuse Cost The U.S. Catholic Church Nearly $3 Billion According To Report By Bishops Conference 04/04/2014

Its sad to think this is still an ongoing problem

I wish we could put an end to it for good

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt

There is an obvious solution here. Get everyone to stop being Catholic.

Easy for me to say, I know.

But if I belonged to ANY organization with this type of history, I'd simply stop being part of that organization.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Dang.

Note to Self: Next time you get molested, make sure it's by an official of the Catholic Church, or someone else with deep pockets, and not just some dude in an alley.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

this does not surprise me one bit.

However, I ask:
$4 billion ???

and where did the Vatican get all this money from?

-----------------------------

PS.:

sure, the Vatican is really following Jesus Christ's teachings...

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: HeywoodFloyd

$4 billion ???

The Catholic church is one of the most wealthy organizations on Earth.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

So that's just the payouts and doesn't include the lawyer fees?

The worst thing is that after all this they are still remaining profitable. I don't think McDonald's would stay in business.

This little vid may help clarify things.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers

But if I belonged to ANY organization with this type of history, I'd simply stop being part of that organization.

Interesting. I wonder if any Catholics would like to chime in here. What are your thoughts on this?

I know people wouldn't stop being Christian because of the KKK, but these molesters are supposed to be chosen by God. I'm interested to see how someone can justify their belief because of this. Any takers?

(sorry if anyone responded to this already, this made me think once I got to the second post.
)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
We must remember that in the dark ages, the Pope and his closest followers were as bad as Hitler and his Nazis.
They raped, tortured and murdered hundreds of thousands of people. All in the name of Jesus.

The moron Obama would tell you they were not Catholics. But you can bet your butt the Pope thought he was Catholic.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012

Interesting. I wonder if any Catholics would like to chime in here. What are your thoughts on this?

I know people wouldn't stop being Christian because of the KKK, but these molesters are supposed to be chosen by God. I'm interested to see how someone can justify their belief because of this. Any takers?

(sorry if anyone responded to this already, this made me think once I got to the second post.
)

Well, "Christian" is not an organization.

The "Catholic church" is.

I was simply saying if I were Catholic, I'd stop being Catholic, or at least I'd stop practicing Catholicism in the traditional way, meaning I'd stay as far away from the organization of The Church as possible.

If one's faith REQUIRES them to participate in said organization, I'm afraid that's untenable. No organization owns my soul.
edit on 30-11-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
so, how much of every dollar we put into the collection plate goes towards paying off molestation settlements, or as hush money?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

I say let Catholic priests marry or married men become priests. Orthodox priests can be married. When was the last time you heard of an Orthodox priest molesting someone?

You have two issues at play, the first is a virulent rejection of homosexuality or any alternative lifestyle, which means if you are a homosexual and want to stay a good Catholic, there's really only one avenue to avoid the question, "when are you going to get married and start making more Catholics?" and that is the priesthood.

The second is that there is no outlet for sexual activity of any kind thanks to celibacy. If you allowed married men to become priests they have wives, and therefore an outlet for sexual urges condoned by the Church.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Any other institution on earth would have shut down a long time ago! It's time the Vatican was leveled to the ground and all of them thrown in jail or executed! Pure evil!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
So that's why the Clinton foundation needs so much money! It's in the same boat as the Vatican!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012

)

Well, "Christian" is not an organization.

The "Catholic church" is.

I was simply saying if I were Catholic, I'd stop being Catholic, or at least I'd stop practicing Catholicism in the traditional way, meaning I'd stay as far away from the organization of The Church as possible.

If one's faith REQUIRES them to participate in said organization, I'm afraid that's untenable. No organization owns my soul.

Catholic is a branch of the Christian organization, but we are just arguing wording.
The KKK started out as a Christian organization and my point was that if people don't stop being Christian because of them, most Catholics wouldn't stop practicing just because of a pervert in some other church, or some guy that doesn't represent them at all now.
My post wasn't meant for you, it just made me think of that question.
I think all religions are the source of most of the problems on Earth.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: HeywoodFloyd
However, I ask:
$4 billion ???

The Aztecs, for starters. Otherwise, the Egyptians, the Jews, the Romans, etc.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

and when it comes to pass that every national government on planet earth is exposed for involved at some level with this sort of thing, will you simply cease to be a part of any nation?

I hope you do- along with everyone else. We'd be free of this nonsense.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The Vatican is the only organization, outside of DC, that can take money from its members, molest its kids, use that money to cover up the abuse, have it all uncovered, and still have people lining up to be a part of it. Must be hard to be that stupid.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Wow the silence from catholics here is popping my eardrums...

I detest these scumbag priests, and the hierarchy even more so. They are the ones who move these scumbag priests from diocese to diocese. So the scumbag priests just continue their scumbag ways for most or all of their lives.

And from the pope down they all turn a blind eye to their scumbag ways...

Horrible religion it is, as is all religion in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I wish people will redact the names of people who are doing the right thing---> by the people.

Now I have to watch for their names getting bank-rupted, or who know's what for their service?

Definitely appreciate the story though.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Tman2135

I agree that priests should be allowed to marry, but I disagree that this situation is what causes them to turn to pedophilia. Many married people are pedophiles. I think it is more like this: pedophiles are drawn to professions that allow easy access to children. They know they can pretty much get away with it as a priest.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join