It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A right to burn qurans and bibles?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Does using a page from the Bible to make a hand rolled cigarette count, or is burning the whole book more insulting?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

HOLY SMOKES!!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Does using a page from the Bible to make a hand rolled cigarette count, or is burning the whole book more insulting?

When I first read this I thought that such an action would be SUPER harsh on your lungs, but that paper is pretty thin already so I dunno... Just curious, have you seriously done this and if so how harsh is it?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

So you are sitting on a barren island in the arctic, have little or no mean's of survival and the cold is getting to you, you have a dry religious text, some damp but not soaking drift wood and a book of matches, your clothing will keep you warm but not for long.

Take the religious book, say a prayer perhaps as it is saving your life and use it as kindling to try to start a fire in some of the less damp drift wood with the hope that you can later put larger pieces onto it, probably die out once the kindling is gone but it is worth a try.

Kind of like the illiterate old toothless trapper whom would come down every now and then to trade his fur's for provision's and this and that and whom would always buy a book, the thickest one he could find at the store when he passed through town because the pages were nice and clean and it would last a while as long as he never got disentery.

It would offend me someone using a bible like that but I would not kill them for it, the real bible is in the person who read's it and the book itself is a soulless item and nothing more.
edit on 30-11-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

I thought thats what those blank pages in the bible were for...

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
If people are killed over cartoons of Muhammad i wouldn't be burning no Qumran thats for sure . Besides , why would anyone want to .

Why would anyone burn the american flag or the bible? Either way it still occurs.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

The thing about this that I never understood is, regardless of what it is you're burning (flag, book, whatever).... since when are you allowed to just light something on fire out in public?

I'm pretty sure if I were to take off my sweatshirt and light in on fire in the middle of a parking lot, and a cop rolls by, he'd have something to say about it.

They are misdemeanors.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
is the flag, bible, or koran my property?? are any of these rare and few in number, or is there enough of them so that anyone who wants one can buy one? I'm superstitious, quite respectful of bibles, think it's wrong to even place another book on top of it, would probably feel the same way about the koran if I owned one. and really don't get into flag burning. but there is such a thing a property rights. and it seems kind of funny that the ones who are complaining about what some people are doing with their property (flags) are so into property rights and claiming that we should have the right to do what we will with our property. and, I dare say that yous really don't have anything really against burning a flag, since that is the proper way to dispose of them really... it's more that some people don't have the same respect for their property (flag) as you do yours. and, you believe that everyone else should feel the same as you do when it comes to that flag.
and, of course, the left has to read another lesson on "responsibility"!! because they are just oh so irresponsible! but, our freedoms come with a lot of responsibilities. one of them being that for you to have the freedom to chose to hold that bible, koran, flag, cross, or whatever else you chose in high regard or as sacred, you must allow others the freedom to also think for themselves and chose what they desire to hold as sacred to them. and we all for the most part, still have the freedom to do what we want with our own property within reason.

You may have the right to burn a Koran or a Bible, but if you are going to do that you need to understand that there will probably be consequences subsequent to your action. This is the essence of being a "responsible adult", a concept that the modern leftist has tremendous difficulty understanding and even more difficulty advocating. Hence the sickness in society we see today.

it seems that lots of americans need to think about the responsibility that comes with "freedom".

and by the way, the people "of the book" never seemed to have any problem burning any books they didn't agree with, and still don't, so they have nothing to complain about if their books gets a little scorched in the process, and I would say the same about the people of the koran, or at least those that are going through destroying those ancient monuments from the past that they find objectionable. heck if a holy book was burned for every item that those two groups have destroyed through the years, we probably wouldn't have any to burn now!

just a neat little story that I hope some find as amusing as I do!

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Yes, but no.

Detroit Man Admits Burning Quran Outside Islamic Center

...charged with littering and unlawful release of soot...

Pastor Terry Jones Arrested Before Planned Quran Burning

Jones had been stopped because his trailer did not have a license plate and he has been charged with "unlawful conveyance of fuel and unlawful carry of a firearm."

Sure I could find more...

In Europe?? Definitely NO.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
Do we have a right to burn qurans and bibles as well as u.s. Flags? I would think so, but anytime someone wants to burn a Quran the media and the left say you can't do it. I just wonder how you guys rationalize yet another complete contradiction.

I expect that the left-wingers will say, burning a Quran incites violence. I just hope that you realize that by making this argument you are suggesting that people who don't want that US flag burned or bibles , should resort to violence.

You have the right to burn anything you own provided you don't violate local laws on burning things on your property. That may be illegal though usually just a fine. S if someone wants disrespectful of others and an all around a hole they have that right. The question is should they as a country are manners are gone very few people today think about how there actions effect others. like the guy that decided to address Pence during the play. He had every right to do so however manors and decorum said he shouldn't have. Pence was a guest of his production and lets face it he was a poor host attacking his guest. If he truly felt he needed to say something there was a better time and place could have even invited him back stage or left there and immediately went to a protest.

Just because we have the right to do something doesn't mean we should. Because the first thing about any society is the need to maintain civility. When you ignore it all your doing is adding to the problem your fighting for because others see your actions and turn against you.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

This is so silly.

Of course people have every Right, writ large, to express themselves. It's a Constitutionally protected Right and the singular most fundamental cornerstone of a free society.

Spoiler Alert: the Second Amendment basically exists to protect the First.

I know many people who would qualify as on the "left", particularly as compared to the median on ATS - and not a single one of them has ever expressed a desire to ban such things.

What gets lost in the shuffle in these conversations is the fact that choosing to exercise ones First Amendment rights in no way insulates them from other people utilizing their own First Amendment rights to disagree - and to say as much.

Burn the Bible, any flag, the Quran, the I Ching, pictures of adorable kittens, your grandmothers secret Snickerdoodle recipe... Whatever. Just do so understanding that other people may well voice their disapproval of it.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
You may have the right to burn a Koran or a Bible, but if you are going to do that you need to understand that there will probably be consequences subsequent to your action. This is the essence of being a "responsible adult", a concept that the modern leftist has tremendous difficulty understanding and even more difficulty advocating. Hence the sickness in society we see today.

Should there be consequences for burning the flag?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

I've never heard anyone on the left say you "can't" burn the Quran, or that you "don't have the right" to burn it. But there is some difference between political protest of one's own country and trashing someone else's religion.

The only difference is due to your bias.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Can you cite a source saying that you can't burn a Quran? You live in a fox induced fantasy world. Psst they are coming for your Christmas lol

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Proof?

Obama spokesman defends flag burning as free speech

I could keep going and going.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

So where are the media saying you can't burn a koran but can burn a flag? I see you posting media accounts of koran burnings and the media DISAPPROVING, but I certainly don't see them say you CAN'T burn a koran.

So sure. Keep going. I'm not satisfied yet. Haven't seen any proof of your claims. I'm seeing a lot of sensationalism though.
edit on 30-11-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

A couple of times in my early twenties when me and a few smoking buddies had run out.
It was a smooth smoke, super thin paper, and one lick of the tongue it would stick well.
Perfect in an emergency smoke situation.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

So where are the media saying you can't burn a koran but can burn a flag? I see you posting media accounts of koran burnings and the media DISAPPROVING, but I certainly don't see them say you CAN'T burn a koran.

So sure. Keep going. I'm not satisfied yet. Haven't seen any proof of your claims. I'm seeing a lot of sensationalism though.

Lets play semantics! Ok, they don't say its against the law, but they shame anyone who does such a thing as a hateful, racist, bigot. Also, you seem to be completely missing the point. Why does the media and liberal democrats condemn burning the Quran, but not the US Flag? The answer is obvious, but I'm interested int he answers you guys rationalize.

edit on 30-11-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Hmmm... Good to know. I'll keep that in mind for... uh... reasons...

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

Lets play semantics! Ok, they don't say its against the law, but they shame anyone who does such a thing as a hateful, racist, bigot.

Well the law is all I care about. I could give a # about the media's opinion on the matter. You sound like a scorned SJW all triggered because someone said something that offended you. Need a safe space?
edit on 30-11-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join