It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

A right to burn qurans and bibles?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Do we have a right to burn qurans and bibles as well as u.s. Flags? I would think so, but anytime someone wants to burn a Quran the media and the left say you can't do it. I just wonder how you guys rationalize yet another complete contradiction.

I expect that the left-wingers will say, burning a Quran incites violence. I just hope that you realize that by making this argument you are suggesting that people who don't want that US flag burned or bibles , should resort to violence.
edit on 30-11-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Of course you can. There is no law against this, nor should there be.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Literally all the people in the media right now saying we have a right to burn flags, are the same people saying you don't have a right to burn a Quran.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

The media isn't the law, mate. I thought you knew that?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Well, people certainly have a right to express their disdain for something (in the U.S. anyway). Try going to an Islamic country and burning the Quran and their flag... Ha, RIP.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Yes you do have the right. If you want to make lots of muslims angry you can burn a Quran infront of a mosque, if you want to make lots of christians angry you can do it infront of a church. But if you just feel like burning a bible or quran but dont want to upset anyone you can do it at home in the garden where nobody can see what your doing.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
You may have the right to burn a Koran or a Bible, but if you are going to do that you need to understand that there will probably be consequences subsequent to your action. This is the essence of being a "responsible adult", a concept that the modern leftist has tremendous difficulty understanding and even more difficulty advocating. Hence the sickness in society we see today.
edit on 30-11-2016 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Yes this is your 1st amendment right. As long as you are not destroying someone else's property you can burn them.

link   

I've never heard anyone on the left say you "can't" burn the Quran, or that you "don't have the right" to burn it. But there is some difference between political protest of one's own country and trashing someone else's religion.

link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
Literally all the people in the media right now saying we have a right to burn flags, are the same people saying you don't have a right to burn a Quran.

Links?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

So if I get pissed when someone burns the flag I can retaliate?
No, that's not how it works.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Proof?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75

So if I get pissed when someone burns the flag I can retaliate?
No, that's not how it works.

I never said that. Read my post again. You can retaliate if you like but you will likely face the consequences of retaliating and as a responsible adult you have to understand that.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Sorry I misunderstood.

Then what would be the consequences? There should be none.
edit on 11/30/2016 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75

Sorry I misunderstood.

No need to apologise my friend I joined this site for the lively debate and stay because of the civil manner in which it is conducted. As to what the consequences should be, I don't feel qualified to answer that one. A civilised society does need to have laws unfortunately but those laws must be just and they must be evenly applied or they are not really laws at all.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
If people are killed over cartoons of Muhammad i wouldn't be burning no Qumran thats for sure . Besides , why would anyone want to .

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   

The thing about this that I never understood is, regardless of what it is you're burning (flag, book, whatever).... since when are you allowed to just light something on fire out in public?

I'm pretty sure if I were to take off my sweatshirt and light in on fire in the middle of a parking lot, and a cop rolls by, he'd have something to say about it.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
no work of literature should be burned

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I am in agreement with this statement. You cannot destroy an idea or an opinion by burning the paper it is written on and it is the most dangerous of follies to try.
It is a beautiful afternoon here and I am off for a moorland stroll. I will check back later on.

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
no work of literature should be burned

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Literally all the people in the media right now saying ...

My 12 year old says "literally" all the time when making statements.

When questioned, she actually means 2 people...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join