It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

A right to burn qurans and bibles?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Thank God we don't live in Saudi Arabia which makes criticizing one's country or religion a crime.

Let's keep it like that.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Why does the media and liberal democrats condemn burning the Quran, but not the US Flag?

ummm... because bush got us involved in a couple of wars in countries that now have a lot of radical muslims and we have troops in those countries still??? ya know, it's more of a national security thing.
ya know what gets me??
we are here talking about flags, bibles, korans here...
but, I have this thing about lawns... I just can't get it out of my mind that those blades of grass feel something akin to pain when they are mowed down like that, which, well scientists have found that they also send out warning signals when they feel this pain...
and yet, my country keeps griping when my grass gets too high, forcing me to either inflict that pain on those poor blades, or paying them to...
who is it that gets to decide just what should be viewed as sacred and what shouldn't???

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: kamatty
Yes you do have the right. If you want to make lots of muslims angry you can burn a Quran infront of a mosque, if you want to make lots of christians angry you can do it infront of a church. But if you just feel like burning a bible or quran but dont want to upset anyone you can do it at home in the garden where nobody can see what your doing.

but...but...that wouldn't piss anybody off! Why bother?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

As an aside, I used the page which had Matthew 5:16 on, it starts: Let your light so shine before men...
I thought it was amusingly apt

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: grainofsand

Does using a page from the Bible to make a hand rolled cigarette count, or is burning the whole book more insulting?

When I first read this I thought that such an action would be SUPER harsh on your lungs, but that paper is pretty thin already so I dunno... Just curious, have you seriously done this and if so how harsh is it?

Never saw Harold and Kumar go to white castle huh?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Well that's a movie. It's hard to get a judge for harshness from the movies and its not exactly like cinema has a strong history of showing accurate drug usage/effects or anything... I gave you a star anyways because I love that movie.

edit on 30-11-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

actually dont thank your aledged " god " thank the sane men and women who put checks in place to prevent idiotic theocrats taking control of your nations government

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Could be charged with hate crime. Primarily a concen with the quran
edit on 30-11-2016 by ksiezyc because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: zosimov

actually dont thank your aledged " god " thank the sane men and women who put checks in place to prevent idiotic theocrats taking control of your nations government

I disagree. God is all about free will which would include the right to reject or burn the word.
edit on 30-11-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Just because people can do a thing doesn't mean they must or should.

When I have a surplus of books I donate them to a library or charity. If the books have resale value then I take them to a used book store.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Never even heard of that movie...it's on my to watch list, sounds amusing.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Lets play semantics! Ok, they don't say its against the law, but they shame anyone who does such a thing as a hateful, racist, bigot.

It's their right to do that just like people who whine and insult others who burn flags.

Also, you seem to be completely missing the point.

So far you seem to have done nothing but make up stuff to fit your agenda so there is no point to get.

Why does the media and liberal democrats condemn burning the Quran, but not the US Flag?

Because burning the flag is a right and that little point is something people like you don't seem to get.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Never even heard of that movie...it's on my to watch list, sounds amusing.

There were three of them. The first two are good (especially the first one), but the third one is a dud. Fun fact: That movie revived Neil Patrick Harris' career. They wrote the script for the movie without even consulting him. He heard about it, was THIS close to suing the writer of the script over it then he read it. And loved it. His character in How I Met Your Mother is based off of his acting in that movie (even though he just plays himself, albeit straight instead of gay).
edit on 30-11-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
You may have the right to burn a Koran or a Bible, but if you are going to do that you need to understand that there will probably be consequences subsequent to your action. This is the essence of being a "responsible adult", a concept that the modern leftist has tremendous difficulty understanding and even more difficulty advocating. Hence the sickness in society we see today.

Should there be consequences for burning the flag?

I don't have the answer to the question as to whether there should or should not be consequences. The point I am attempting to make is that a responsible adult should accept the fact that there may well be consequences for an action and way them up against the taking of that action.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Remember when a Pace University student threw Qurans in the toilet? He got 300 hours of community service for disorderly conduct. he was originally charged with two counts of criminal mischief as a hate crime.

Student nabbed in Koran dunk

edit on 30-11-2016 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

You may have the right to burn a Koran or a Bible, but if you are going to do that you need to understand that there will probably be consequences subsequent to your action. This is the essence of being a "responsible adult", a concept that the modern leftist has tremendous difficulty understanding and even more difficulty advocating. Hence the sickness in society we see today.

Should there be consequences for burning the flag?

I don't have the answer to the question as to whether there should or should not be consequences. The point I am attempting to make is that a responsible adult should accept the fact that there may well be consequences for an action and way them up against the taking of that action.

In Poland this law is old as the state and claim a one year prison penalty for burning, stomping, spiting on a flag. Its about respect for blood of your ancestors and their sacrifice. If someone dont get the its madness.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Why burn em when they make great toilet paper or wrappers for cuts of fresh cut pork?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Hmm, in my experience most Bible's are printed on super thin paper.
Newspaper is far superior for toilet use

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Is it called free speech, or only limited speech?

Flags. Quorans (sp?). Bibles. It's speech. ...and last I heard, that's free. Not without repercussions, mind you, but free to express.

Either it all is, or none is. Conditional free speech isn't.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Remember when a Pace University student threw Qurans in the toilet? He got 300 hours of community service for disorderly conduct. he was originally charged with two counts of criminal mischief as a hate crime.

Hmm. I had not heard of this case.

That's pretty ridiculous.. how is that a hate crime?

I'd say charging him with a hate crime is a dangerous slippery slope and that we really don't want to take that path.

I agree with charging him with something (not well enough versed in law to say precisely what) but mainly because it was destructive and some poor janitor, I'm assuming, had to fish it out.
edit on 30-11-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join