It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Before CGI

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I'm jonesin' for some 'memberberries lately. Specifically, 'memberberries with an 80's-90's flavor--you know--before the CGI creep took over the art formerly known as film.

I've been watching a lot of movies from decades past that I grew up with (for an adult's perspective re-watch,) or movies that came out in my lifetime but I just didn't see when they came out.

I often find myself impressed with the visual effects and special effects accomplished without CGI. I get that taste of 'memberberries in the back of my tongue and think, "Yes! This is when movies were films, cinematic art, and elbow grease...not just 200 computer animators at the credits scroll."

I love the work that went into building actual sets and models etc.

Can you recommend any movies from this era just before CGI dominated the effects department? It doesn't have to necessarily be about explosions and stunts. I just watched Spielberg's E.T. for the first time and was very impressed with the use of lighting and shadows to drive the tone of the movie.

So that's all really. I'm looking for 80's-90's movies that had memorable visuals or special effects without the use of CGI.

Let's make a list! Let's discuss! Let's bloat ourselves on 'memberberries!

edit on 29-11-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

edit on 29 11 16 by robbeh because: ....

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I feel like this is relevant.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I think star wars, specially return of the jedi and indiana jones are the top of the non cgi effects.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: corvuscorrax

The problem with CGI is that it can encourage lazy story telling. I feel like they sometimes rely on the new special effects budget to cover over weak story with cheap thrills.

I also think the gore is way overdone because CGI and splash it all in there.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

The problem with CGI is that it can encourage lazy story telling. I feel like they sometimes rely on the new special effects budget to cover over weak story with cheap thrills.

I also think the gore is way overdone because CGI and splash it all in there.

I would surmise that is just the result of a lazy studio. A studio that thinks CGI can make up for poor story telling/character development and any other reason why someone might think a move is great, is a studio that should be boycotted indeed.

As said in the video I posted that some great movies get a pass on some really bad CGI because they nailed it in the other important parts.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Generally it costs the same so some guy who'd done a degree in movie stuff, CGI is easier in that you spend all your time working it out and then just let the computer do it all and the manual ways you have to spend all the time and effort with actual models. But the actual models are real and even today it does show.

Wasn't a lot of the star trek tng done using models as it was more cost effective as you could just hang the same model from a different angle and job done compared to having to fart around for weeks with the stuff available at the time.

Always remember that in the mid/late 90's while working at a local uni we got a few labs that needed overhauling and they needed testing so we decided to download a copy of lightwave (cough cough) and a load of models and do a scene...we did a five minute scene with star trek and babylon 5 and at only normal quality and pretty much it took an hour a frame and theres 29 frames per second...did at the time do a print quality screen dump and for one frame it took over 48 hours on a reasonably specced machine.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Membah Total Recall (1990)??

edit on 29-11-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I'm an "Action and Adventure" buff so I watch over and over all the Rambo, Rocky, Bloodsport and Chuck Norris movies...

Some of the older Sci-Fi are really good as well...

Star Wars
Blade Runner
Jurassic Park
Terminator

As for the older stuff..

Forbidden Planet (Classic)
Doctor Strangelove
Original Planet of the Apes
Mad Max and The Road Warrior
Original Tron

I am also a HUGE fan of the Black and White Era.. Actors had to actually act.. Old war epics being a favorite of mine..

Flying Leather Necks
Run Silent, Run Deep
Desert Patrol
Darby's Rangers

(I watch a lot of movies LOL )

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Membah ALIENS (1986)?

ALIENS (1986)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

The problem with CGI is that it can encourage lazy story telling.

Yes this is the problem right here.

The video posted above suggests that if the story is good, we can forgive the lousy special effects. In my opinion, it's only a one-way street. If the special effects are good, I don't forgive a lousy, underdeveloped story/ character.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I just watched Total Recall for the first time recently. Yes, it was amazing, and partly inspired this thread.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Not a movie, put painstakingly photographed in stop motion, most every damn frame...

As far as movies, a couple scenes come to mind in The Keep.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

just go watch the best movie of all time

big trouble in little china

just what youre looking for

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I agree with the general lament expressed here.

My best example of how CGI ruined a good movie and its story is that of the masterful 1951 sci-fi movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still" versus the piss poor 2009 version by the same name starring Keaun Reeves.

(For the purist, I know that even the first version butchered the story line of the original short story by reversing the roles of the humanoid and the robot.)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

So there's your answer. It's not that you're mad at CGI as much as you're fed up with what passes for story telling in way too many movies lately.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Pretty neat! But the twitching eyebrows gave me a migraine behind my eyes.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
a reply to: intrptr

Pretty neat! But the twitching eyebrows gave me a migraine behind my eyes.

Then you're probably not a big fan of Ray Harryhausen.

edit on 29-11-2016 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

TerrorVision 1986

I just came across it, haven't seen this movie in like 25 years.

yify.tv...

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Oooh member The Dark Crystal?

Oooh I member! Member the skeksi ?

Ooh I member!

~meathead

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join