It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Type 1 diabetics?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Hey guys I'll make this brief as I'm on my mobile right now.

My 14 y.o. stepdaughter is type 1 insulin dependent. To cover her supplies and humalog monthly would cost roughly $1,800. Now my jobs insurance isn't great and the wife is self employed. We go through AHCSS. Which is Arizona's healthcare coverage for "po folk".

AND IT'S A NIGHTMARE! Every time we need to reorder supplies it's a constant circus. We have had to buy several different blood glucose meters since we've lived here because the insurance will just decide they dont cover the type we have now.

And tonight was no different. Out of the blue, no notice and of course when she needs to refill her insulin prescription, Walgreens doesn't have it because now the insurance says that it's not on their "approved list of medications" we have used the same insulin for over a year!

So my wife is now at the hospital to get emergency vials of insulin. Which will probably take hours of sitting in the lobby.

Anybody here have issues like this before? Can legal action be taken?

My wife is going to have a coronary from this b.s.

Thanks all.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: denybedoomed

You can buy a Kroger brand meter and have cheap test strips all the time without using insurance. If you don't have a Kroger then I think Wal-mart or SAM's club has the same kind of deal.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

I read you LIMA CHARLIE. Bare with it brother. It'll be alright.
You're making it happen and that's all that matters for that little girl.

Cheers

edit on 22112016 by Snarl because: woohoo :-D

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Thank you.

Things are usually crazy as it is around this house. Then the run around from insurance companies and the completely inept Walgreens pharmacy dept. It's seriously overwhelming sometimes.

Especially since we have to drive four hours tomorrow to take the girls for their visitation with their deadbeat dad, who is so ignorant as to how to care for her properly that it's terrifying.

So instead of using her pen to administer, she will have to use a vial and syringe. I'm anxious just typing this . . . .

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I used to get insulin in a fancy pen with special little injection needles, but it was killing me on cost, so I went old school and use a syringe now, saving me hundreds of dollars per month.

I buy my insulin from Walmart with NO prescription and it costs me $24.88 a bottle - about the same as a prescription with insurance. What's really outrageous is that with insurance, the financial hit reported by the insurance company is about $800 per bottle - so I don't use my Medicare drug plan for insulin or I'd be in the "donut hole" in February and have to pay about $200-$400 per bottle.

ganjoa

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: denybedoomed
HAND IT'S A NIGHTMARE! Every time we need to reorder supplies it's a constant circus.

Welcome to the land of all the health care (and justice and political office, it seems...) that money can buy.
The wealthy can afford all the health care that they need, and the poor die (in a Trumpitalistic (capitalism) system).
It seems shameful that people here without the money to buy their necessary meds are just left to die, but 'shame' seems to be a dirty word here in 'Murikkka...

edit on 22-11-2016 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I have been a T1 diabetic since I was about 8 years old and after I turned 13 or so my family lost all insurance types and up until recently with obama care no one would give me coverage due to pre existing (27 now). So i've bought my own supplies for many years.

I get insulin (type R and N) at walmart for $25 per bottle once a month. ($50) Also get my needles there.
I use a Bayer Contour Next USB Blood Glucose meter and I get my strips off Amazon. They arent on prime but its free shipping at $23 for 100 strips. So, all in all I spend $100 or less a month.

If anything, next time you run out of insulin remember you can get it without prescription. I think Walgreens is very expensive, like $70-150 a bottle, and walmart/kroger type stores are in the $20 range.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: SweetTeas

Thank you for the info! I will pass the info along to the wife.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 05:56 AM
link   

My nephew is T1D so I feel for you and her. We had a few issues when he lived with us. Nothing to the degree that you are experiencing. I'll offer a few things and hopefully something can help you and your stepdaughter.
You said the birth father is a 'deadbeat' but, isn't he responsible for her health care as well? In other words, does he not have to put her on HIS insurance?

I bought several of the reli on brand meters (I think they are around $10). With busy teenagers, as my nephew was, we were able to have one at home, one in each vehicle, the one for school (nurses office) one at the gym, football field, back pack, etc. you get my drift.
Also, the supplies for those are relatively inexpensive.
He used the humalog kwikpen and lantus at night.

With a sliding scale and as a teenager, his needed amounts could change drastically from month to month so it is good practice to have her endocrinologist write a very broad prescription at each time (we visited every 6 months with a script for a year at a time). In other words when you discuss the recent amounts and they check the meter for past readings they should be able to come up with a number of vials, strips, etc that will allow you a little more leeway so you don't run out so quickly before you pre order.

If you realize you are out and it may take a few days, perhaps you could get one of the pens from school and bring it home. I have done that before and then just replace it when I get the new one.

If you speak to the pharmacist directly and make clear that you will be using their pharmacy strictly from here on out they should order a stock and remember to keep ordering to keep it in stock. I understand the frustration though as we also have had to drive several towns over to get the needed medicine if delivery wouldn't be soon enough from another pharmacy in the network.
Also, order at the beginning of the month, don't wait until there is only one pen left or the bottle of lantus is less than half.

If you are able to 'network' you may find some assistance as well in your community. My supervisors husband is diabetic and he got his lantus through the VA. She often brought me bottles that he didn't need and that helped often times. Yes, I am sure that's questionable legally but, one does what one has to do.

I don't know about legal action. I think that maybe if you work closely with the endo and pharmacist and the pharmacy tells you they cannot carry that brand (for ins reasons) then call the endo and ask for guidance and a new script and go that route and remember, don't wait too long to order again. Do it as soon as permissible and that will afford you some time.

Good luck to your stepdaughter! Watch those numbers!

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

When I say deadbeat I mean deadbeat. Dude works part time at a hotel. No car, no place of his own. No insurance.

We have gotten her supplies from the school before and will grab her extra pen today.

We cannot order in advance as they will only prescribe a set amount. Which has caused problems in the past because she might have to dose more than she has. And every time it's this questioning like we're somehow abusing insulin.

Even last night the nurses at the e.r. didn't believe that she could take insulin with her. The doctor have a small vial.

We will definitely be checking out the grocery store here as they carry Kroger brands.

If we can pay out of pocket for some of the supplies we will. It would be nice not to deal with the damn insurance company.

We were given notifications that her humalog script was ready last week. And it's good my wife called to make sure last night or we'd be scrambling today on top of all the other things to do for the trip.

Last week we went to get the humalog and Walgreens told us it wasn't ready. I asked the clerk why we got a call stating that it was and she said, "because the computer's dumb." Wtf kind of answer is that. And they didn't even have any in stock. Which has happened several times with her supplies.

They've questioned us regarding her strips as well. Saying the insurance only prescribed enough for a certain amount of days. Like we're abusing test strips?!

She's has up a and downs recently due to her going through puberty and starting to cycle monthly.

The whole thing is a headache.

Thanks for the input!
edit on 22-11-2016 by denybedoomed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
www.GoodRx.com is a website that lists competitive pricing for various pharmaceuticals in your area - all without the necessity of insurance co-op:

GoodRx

I have not used it myself, but I saw it and thought it was a good idea. Apparently you can save around 80%
edit on 22-11-2016 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ganjoa
I buy my insulin from Walmart with NO prescription and it costs me $24.88 a bottle - about the same as a prescription with insurance.

Thanks so much for this post. I've got people I need to pass this along to.

The handling costs for insulin are just an incredible mark-up. It's no wonder why the healthcare 'industry' is so interested in levying the diagnosis.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Hi friends, my neighborhood child is suffering from same problem. He is taking insulin since 13yrs old now he is 23 .. for the past 10 years he is injecting insulin thrice a day.. Is there any cure for this or any remedy to reduce the insulin levels.. please help if anyone is aware of it

new topics

top topics

join