It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Some Wine Suggestions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
OK, the family always does a dress Thanksgiving complete with an appetizer table that usually features wine. For the past two Thanksgivings, the appetizers have been mine to plan, and I know very little about wine aside from the very basics.

This year, I've decided to do a light charcuterie board for the adults and older kids with some kiddie fare for the littler kids. And I am looking for some wine suggestions. I would like to keep these in the $10 to $15ish range per bottle.

Meats: Rose Salumi, a bit of Serrano Ham, Smoked Brined Beef Heart, Rabbit Pate

Cheeses: Beemster Vlaskaas, Cypress Grove Humboldt Fog, Carr Valley Menage

Accompanied By: Fuji Apples, Red Grapes, Walnuts, Mixed Olives, Wheat Thins and Toasted Baguette

Condiments: Whole Grain Mustard, Smoked Honey

I would like two wines to go with this. Traditionally, we have had a white and red in years past.

So, thoughts?

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Gamay Beaujolais- The only white wine that happens to be red. It also pairs nicely with turkey

Georges Debouf makes a good one (Noveiux?)

This wine is released the 3rd week in November. It is a young wine with low tannins meant to be server chilled to 55 degrees. It pairs with salads, fruit, coldcuts, turkey, chicken and fish

edit on 20-11-2016 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Break away from the conventional wisdom concerning wine color. That's a nice menu and I think that you should go with a nice Malbec.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I like Chilean Carmeneres. It's inexpensive for great quality and pairs well with lots of food.

Well balanced, not to bitter, not sweet with death and bright flavors.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

For the white I would suggest a Viognier or Müller-Thurgau, both will be a dry white wine with lemon, apricot, minerals and ginger flavors that will stand up well to the salume and cheeses.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Château Léoville Las Cases is superb. Ice wine is also a win!

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: brokenghost
Château Léoville Las Cases is superb.

Let me know where you can find Las Cases for $10-15.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Vodka

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Seeing as they're over 165. a pop, that would be near impossible. I'll ask my manager he knows people.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: brokenghost
Seeing as they're over 165. a pop, that would be near impossible. I'll ask my manager he knows people.

I know what it goes for, the Original Poster was asking for suggestions in the $10-15 range.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

yeah i just added it in for the hell of it.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Some good things to look for. Thanks!

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Gallo family merlot with coke...

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Mad Dog 2020.

I wouldn't listen to me on this subject if I were you.

edit on 20-11-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Mad Dog 2020.

Why would you pitch that and leave off the Boone's Farm?

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I thought about either Hot Damn Cinnamon Schnapps or Fireball Whiskey, but it just seemed like it might be a bit overwhelming.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: rickymouse

Mad Dog 2020.

Why would you pitch that and leave off the Boone's Farm?

You could drink Boone's Farm without puking that night, not so true with mad dog.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I have no idea what wine prices are out in Kansas.
I live in a unique corner of PA, Dullaware, and MD. Live in PA, work at a liquor store/bar/restaurant in MD. That said, I'm the craft beer guy, but used to sell wine and good hooch during my undergraduate days. If you give me a varietal, I can give some recommendations, but I haven't had the cheeses other than the Humbolt Fog. And there is no way I could even give one for cow hearts, I don't go there. Just a choice, I don't judge.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

The beef heart has a nice beefy flavor. The brining and smoking actually make it taste more like a version of the dried beef we use but with a velvety soft texture that's not overly chewy. It might have slight mineral aftertaste that comes from organ meat, but not at all off-putting. Husband calls it "earthy" without being gritty. Would put it's strength of taste on par to lamb or goat.

As for the cheese, the vlaskaas is a lighter, sharper flavor with a fruity note to it.

We did not get to sample the Menage, but it is a three milk cheese and its makers recommend Pinot or Shiraz.

Our cost of living is relatively low out here compared to many other parts of the country.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

1884 estate syrah. Deep rich red, meaty, earthy, sticks to the bones. Out of argentina should be lower price where you are..... whites for you region... i dunno i have no concept if what a white costs in your area... kim crawford chardonnay? Or perhaps a guwertz ? Whats your audience?
Mature? Do they wine often? If not most are not true connesures even if they say they are. One has not the wallet to travel and know they need knowledge not money to be a true wine master, sure sine gdts better sith age but 5 gears max. Or you over pay

top topics

<<   2 >>

join