It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrat introducing bill to abolish Electoral College

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
a reply to: alphabetaone

In Australia, they have mandatory vote, failure to vote in elections will result in a fine against the person. There are exceptions to the rule, where a person could not be voting and thus avoiding the fine.

But the system needs to be more reflective of the people, and to be more welcoming and encouraging for people to vote. Right now, there far too many states are working to stop people from voting.

Good point. Politicians spend way too much time trying to de-motivate the opposition's voters from showing up at the polls.

Mandatory voting would be a good way to stop that nonsense post-haste.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

You actually beat me to it. BTW, the leftwing website "Thinkprogress" also wants the same thing, which means a big portion of the left in power want this to occur.

Get ready for a major push to kill the Electoral College

Here is Eric Holder talking about abolishing the EC and the leftwing "useful idiots" in the audience clapping in favor of this moronic argument...

Eric Holder: "Abolish The Electoral College"

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: makaira1985
If anyone has a legitimate beef with the EC, it would be someone like me. I am a red voter in a state that will always vote blue. Talk about your vote not counting. However, I vote in every election and don't feel disenfranchised in any way. Even though my state will never reflect my opinions in a presidential race, I understand that the EC is the best way to represent the opinions of the country as a whole, for the reasons already stated above by members more eloquent than myself.

Same for me, I'm in NJ at the moment, and we're notorious for being Blue...im still not willing to abolish the EC though.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Obama said it best, ideology is part of the problem. Not being compromised seems the best way to solve problems from both republicans and democrats without being limited..
edit on 16-11-16 by Substracto because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers

originally posted by: sdcigarpig

In Australia, they have mandatory vote, failure to vote in elections will result in a fine against the person. There are exceptions to the rule, where a person could not be voting and thus avoiding the fine.

But the system needs to be more reflective of the people, and to be more welcoming and encouraging for people to vote. Right now, there far too many states are working to stop people from voting.

Good point. Politicians spend way too much time trying to de-motivate the opposition's voters from showing up at the polls.

Mandatory voting would be a good way to stop that nonsense post-haste.

I honestly, view it differently....I see it as an encroachment upon the very virtues that made this country great. Whats the point of freedom and liberty if we're constantly being told we HAVE to do things? Why not just institute totalitarianism and be done with it then.

Out of one frying pan (ACA) into another (MVP ... mandatory voter participation? lol)

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

You actually beat me to it. BTW, the leftwing website "Thinkprogress" also wants the same thing, which means a big portion of the left in power want this to occur.

Get ready for a major push to kill the Electoral College

Here is Eric Holder talking about abolishing the EC and the leftwing "useful idiots" in the audience clapping in favor of this moronic argument...

Eric Holder: "Abolish The Electoral College"

Although I do not necessarily share his democratic leaning, I DO love Bill Maher for some of his other well thought out leanings...particularly those on religion.
edit on 16-11-2016 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Trump has said I quote...

“He [Obama] lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election. We should have a revolution in this country!” (Nov. 6)

“The phoney [sic] electoral college made a laughing stock out of our nation. The loser one!” (Nov. 6)

“More votes equals a loss…revolution!” (Nov. 7)

But now it is genius because he has benefited from it.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

Not quite, but add Texas and Florida to that, and that'd just about do it.

The EC is there for a reason. Take a look at the county by county totals, and it becomes shatteringly obvious why the EC is there, and is as relevant today as it ever has been.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

How about you quote him. If he has said this there should be videos of him saying it. I am not asking about leftwing media hawks talking over the photo of Trump and claiming he said it. I am talking about videos of him saying these things...

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

He tweeted them.
You can go check.

www.independent.co.uk... 8836.html

heavy.com...

twitter.com...

Are you saaying he didn't say what I have shown?.

Why don't you all have a little bit of integrity and call out your lord savior for flip flopping because it sure looks like to me he is doing exactly that flip flopping.
Heck I aint arsed If the EC goes or not but I will point out when one side is talking like butter wouldn't melt in Trumps mouth.
edit on 16-11-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

If he actually did say that then he is another moron who doesn't understand why the EC exists. We will have to wait and see what he does, if he backs any attempt to dissolve the ec, then that is confirmation that he works for the global elites.
edit on 16-11-2016 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

Trump has said I quote...

“He [Obama] lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election. We should have a revolution in this country!” (Nov. 6)

“The phoney [sic] electoral college made a laughing stock out of our nation. The loser one!” (Nov. 6)

“More votes equals a loss…revolution!” (Nov. 7)

To those of us that think Trump is a plant and everything we are witnessing is orchestrated...this is not surprising.
edit on 16-11-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

He can't do anything now he has won It would give the dems more chance to get in next time.
You guys are going to be so disappointed in Trump he isn't anti establishment just look at who he is appointing the same old same old.
You guys should be all over his flip flopping but give it time I hope you all realise who and what he is and that is nothing he said he is.
I'm glad he is in because like everyone I hated Clinton more but tbh you all had crap choices.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

We both called that ages ago I just do not understand how it isn't the biggest thing on ATS.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Of course a Senator from CA would do this. She would love the chance to have CA basically pick all elections due to the huge majority vote capability CA has...I'm sure the other 49 states would not be so happy with that. It is also scary that a Senator would want to abolish our republic....

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Unless i am incorrect, this would take a 2/3's majority to pass.

Meaning: it has no chance of passing

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

He tweeted them.
You can go check.

www.independent.co.uk... 8836.html

heavy.com...

twitter.com...

Are you saaying he didn't say what I have shown?.

Why don't you all have a little bit of integrity and call out your lord savior for flip flopping because it sure looks like to me he is doing exactly that flip flopping.
Heck I aint arsed If the EC goes or not but I will point out when one side is talking like butter wouldn't melt in Trumps mouth.

I think there may be an element, contextually, that people are completely glancing over though. Let me try and make my point with an example.

Driving from NYC to LA - coast to coast - Driving the entire family from ny to cali in a Prius may not be the best vehicle, but it's the best we've got so as long as it gets us there, we made out great!

This is why I hate tweets, or ANYTHING typed when trying to glean REAL VALUABLE information, so much is lost by lack of tone and inflection that it's far too easy to misconstrue the intent (and some people are absolutely horribly communicators)....We have no real way of knowing did Trump mean "The EC is a disaster for democracy - with an understood - (but its the best system out there so we make it work to our advantage).... because with Donald, if he WANTED to have the EC abolished, I doubt highly he would have shyed away from saying precisely that.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Care to explain to a Brit why it is good for the political system? it stops mob rule correct?.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

How about you quote him. If he has said this there should be videos of him saying it. I am not asking about leftwing media hawks talking over the photo of Trump and claiming he said it. I am talking about videos of him saying these things...

He also said...

"If the election were based on total popular vote I would have campaigned in N.Y. Florida and California and won even bigger and more easily"

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Xtrozero

Unless i am incorrect, this would take a 2/3's majority to pass.

Meaning: it has no chance of passing

Nope. you're not incorrect, would take 38 of the 50 to pass it.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join