It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going it alone not an option, Nato chief warns Donald Trump

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Nato’s secretary-general has issued a dramatic warning to the US president-elect Donald Trump: “Going it alone is not an option, either for Europe or for the United States.”

Writing exclusively in the Observer, the leader of the western military alliance, Jens Stoltenberg, claims the west faces its greatest security challenge in a generation.

He pointedly recalls the blood spilled by Nato allies after they came to the aid of the US following the 9/11 attacks and warns that, rather than “deepening differences” between the 28 members, now is the time to “nurture what unites” under “strong American leadership”.
SOURCE

Trump isn't even president, and he's already being strong-armed by world leaders. I keep asking this, but can anyone explain why it doesn't matter who the POTUS is? Does anyone remember words like the above being directed at any other POTUS?

It's just a reminder of the reality of being a world leader today. If you stand up against the status quo at all, you will meet resistance at every step.

Does anyone think Trump could break up NATO? Apparently there's real concern over the issue.
edit on 12-11-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Russia would love this to happen...

Caviar and vodka for everyone in the Kremlin this week, apparently.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Nato’s secretary-general has issued a dramatic warning to the US president-elect Donald Trump: “Going it alone is not an option, either for Europe or for the United States.”

Well neither the US or Europe is 'alone'.

Each are made up of sovereign countries called STATES.

Dude needs to get a grip.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Threats and premature warnings are often a sign of fear....

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Sounds like they just don't want to foot the bill for their own countries defense. I might not like Trump but I agree that we pay way more than our fair share of the bill in nato.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
When Donald Trump began discussion how crappy the NATO alliance has been everyone laughed at him except for me. He said things I've been saying for years. Case:

The Military Weakness of Europe: A Serious Global Security Concern- Posted Oct 18 2014

In this thread I clearly outlined the issues being faced by the EU, the US, and the NATO alliance. Got laughed at for it too.

Then, a little over a year later, I wrote yet another thread on this exact same issue.

Predictive Military Analysis Coming True in Europe: The Paris Attacks- Posted Nov 14 2015

In that thread I specifically addressed NATO and how its member states meet their obligations...Which they don't.

It's not an alliance if the other members don't have skin in the game. So either Europe contributes the required funds and troop levels/training/equipment or we can kiss the NATO alliance goodbye.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Rhetoric I expect from NATO. Of course they want to keep their jobs. But NATO is not needed anymore and hadn't been since the eighties. Waste of money. When was the last time NATO helped anything. Dissolve it, if something comes up we can still align with those we need to. NATO is just provoking at this point.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Don't forget people.

That is was NATO countries and US administration that denied Ukraine entry.

So NATO is about as worthless as it gets.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Trump never said he was gonna go at it alone. Give it up people---election is over. Go home and get some rest.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Yes, but don't forget our treaty with Ukraine that said we would protect their sovereignty if they got rid of their nukes.

NATO is all talk and a waste of money.

link   
People also should be asking in the 21st century if NATO should even continue to exist.

It's just a cold war relic left over.

link   
Is this a warning or a sigh of relief? The NATO alliance has been strained in recent years, perhaps this is just a request for reassurance

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: onthedownlow

Is this a warning or a sigh of relief?

What this is about is those Eu countries not wanting to take an economic hit IF the US closed their bases there.

Which no one said that or 'going it alone'.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Trump ran his campaign on hating NATO and Loving Russia. I don't doubt he will start back tracking on this topic (like so many others after only 4 days LOL) once the members of the military/intelligence/congress really sit down and explain it how it really is.

The whole world is looking for reassurance but our detractors/enemies are currently happy that should tell you plenty about Mr. Trump and his rhetoric.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Good old NATO... hey, did they not recently pen a decree that the Dome of the Rock, was primarily a Muslim heritage?
Is that what they mean when they say “nurture what unites”?

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

Our enemies are happy? What the heck... where can I get some of that koolaide? Anyhow, I imagine NATO is pleased that the current US administration is short on time

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Natas0114

...fear of losing money is my guess.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Screw nato.

They can start paying for their own crap.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

NATO was created under the government of the US, tax payers in the US pay the most to keep NATO working

So if it originated in the US and tax payers in the US pay the most I say let cuts funding.

Their purpose needs to be negotiated all over again after 70 years.

Without the US NATO will no even exist.

edit on 12-11-2016 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Picklesneeze

I disagree. I think NATO is an asset to the US and Europe, especially now that team obama has stirred up a hornets nest. How much did he give Iran?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join