It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump wants to eliminate overtime rules

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Inside an article about Trump's economic plans is mentioned that he wants to eliminate overtime laws for employers. What that means for workers is not only that people could work long hours for less pay, but also an end to the 40 hour work week. It has been pointed out before that the overtime requirements for employees working more than 40 hours a week are a big incentive for employers to not overwork their employees. If you take away the threat of having to pay more money per hour, what incentive is there for companies to not overwork their people?

In Japan so many people die from overwork that they invented a word for it. The same thing could happen in the US if Republicans have their way, and most likely they will.

circa.com...
edit on 12-11-2016 by CB328 because: (no reason given)

+33 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

I didn't see anything in that poorly written and pathetic websites article of Trump saying no to overtime pay! Care to back your statement up with a better source or are you just trolling because your angry?

All I see are blocks of opinion with what this website is saying Trump said without ANYTHING to back it up!

Christ, is this another Zikavirusmap outbreak?

edit on 12-11-2016 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

"We have to address the issues of over-taxation and over-regulation and the lack of access to credit markets to get our small business owners thriving again. Rolling back the overtime regulation is just one example of the many regulations that need to be addressed to do that. We would love to see a delay or a carve-out of sorts for our small business owners."

Is this what you are talking about?

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I hope this isn't true, that being said, the decision on the new overtime laws were a catch 22.

Many salary employees were switched to hourly and were expected to get a unreasonable work load completed in the fourty and would be reprimanded if they couldn't.

That also has a negative effect on them when looking for another job saying they were hourly not salary.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Trump would slash Department of Education

Yes and yes. Forget slashing it, we need to end the agency period. The Nations academic scores have plummeted since this department was created. Not only that, they use food subsidy money to extort our states into malevolent social corruption policies.

Kill the DOE, and allow the agriculture department handle the food subsidies.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
It looks like you just completely made this up.

Personally, however, I've always hated the over-time restrictions. All that means to an employer is that they're fined 50% of your wage for hiring you over 40 hours a week.

You can't --well you could but it'd suck -- support yourself working 40 hours a week at $10 an hour and there are an infinite amount of other workers that can also work your $10 an hour job. So, for people that actually need more hours, it's impossible to get those hours. Your employer gets punished for doing it. What happens in real life out there for the real working poor is that your employer just hires another employee instead of giving you more hours.

What that means in real life for real workers is that you end up having to work 2-3 part time jobs, commuting between them and coordinating 3 different job schedules every week they come out. It's a living hell. I'd much rather just work 1 job for 50 hours a week. My employer would like it too. It'd be a win-win. But -- the government would essentially fine/ punish my employer for letting me do it.

I'd love for overtime laws to get struck down or altered. It isn't 1850 anymore where people are working 100 hours a week in factory towns to make 10 cents a day. These laws are outdated and hurt many poor people.
edit on 11/12/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Hold on to your pay stubs folks, this is just the beginning!

Back to the coal mines with all of us! Back to the company store!

All hail our employer overlords!

Thanks Trump!

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Without confirmation, I think Trump was addressing the salaried employees overtime.

There's a lot of controversy with that Obama regulation.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The overtime rules were horrible the way they went into effect.

Where my husband worked the effect was that two of his underling head count got bumped up in pay enough to not fall under the rule. One received an almost 50% pay raise and the other only got a couple thousand because she had been there much longer and almost worked her way up to that threshold the traditional way. So now, they both make the same even though one is much more the senior and had earned a lot more in raises and the like.

Not only that, but they were already operating at a head count crunch and have been for the past nearly 8 years. With these two employees now being almost twice as expensive as before, the odds of getting any extra hands who can be permanent just went down that much more. It creates and digs in deeper that environment of only getting temps and contract labor.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

What overtime? As a salaried employee, I don't know what overtime is? (Made in jest, but I've put in many 40+ hour weeks without extra pay..)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Throes

It's for people making a salary below a certain pay threshold. If you make above it, it doesn't affect you. My husband wasn't affected either.

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I hope this isn't true, that being said, the decision on the new overtime laws were a catch 22.

Many salary employees were switched to hourly and were expected to get a unreasonable work load completed in the fourty and would be reprimanded if they couldn't.

That also has a negative effect on them when looking for another job saying they were hourly not salary.

Haha I've worked salaried before in professional finance jobs. Salary blows. It blows my mind that people think it's a status symbol.

To me, it just means that the company owns you. I'd much rather work hourly where the company pays me for my time, instead of paying me to own me.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
If you take away the threat of having to pay more money per hour, what incentive is there for companies to not overwork their people?

You just tell them you can't work more than a certain number of hours and they won't schedule you for more than that.. If you're a good employee, they'll want to keep you on and make you happy, even in low-level jobs where you're expendable. This isn't 1850 anymore -- these laws are outdated.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

With all due 'respect'.

Should wait until Trump is sworn in, and actually does something before most people will start taking threads like these seriously.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Throes
a reply to: xuenchen

What overtime? As a salaried employee, I don't know what overtime is? (Made in jest, but I've put in many 40+ hour weeks without extra pay..)

Not sure, but maybe this........

Overtime

The Overtime Rule

In 2014, President Obama directed the Secretary of Labor to update the overtime regulations to reflect the original intent of the Fair Labor Standards Act, and to simplify and modernize the rules so they’re easier for workers and businesses to understand and apply. The department has issued a final rule that will put more money in the pockets of middle class workers – or give them more free time.
The final rule will:

Raise the salary threshold indicating eligibility from $455/week to $913 ($47,476 per year), ensuring protections to 4.2 million workers.
Automatically update the salary threshold every three years, based on wage growth over time, increasing predictability.
Strengthen overtime protections for salaried workers already entitled to overtime.
Provide greater clarity for workers and employers.

The final rule will become effective on December 1, 2016, giving employers more than six months to prepare. The final rule does not make any changes to the duties test for executive, administrative and professional employees.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: RedDragon

Yep!

You get promoted to management, put on salary, think to yourself, "OMG I MADE IT!" and realize just how much less you will see your family because of hours you now have to work?

Yet all the people hourly who work under you are too damn stupid in their jealousy over your position to realize that now that you're salary, you can be called up to work whenever the Corporation requires you to! But they will still complain that you make more money than they do and why their "request for a day off" wasn't granted.......

edit on 12-11-2016 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I do know working more than 6 hours overtime a week is worthless, you're basically working for free after that being placed in a higher tax bracket.

Unfair.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor
I do know working more than 6 hours overtime a week is worthless, you're basically working for free after that being placed in a higher tax bracket.

Unfair.

Yep that PROGRESSIVE tax rate is a SNIP.

The more people make. The more Uncle Sam takes.
edit on 12-11-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
All these salaried people saying, "so what".

This would hurt the lower income people the most. People living today have no idea what the people who bled and died for overtime went through. People today have no idea what it would be like if the overtime rules were scrapped.

It's painful, maddening and sad to see how moronic, ignorant, brainwashed our population has become.

When you kneecap the poor, you hurt everyone else. Just because YOU don't earn overtime shouldn't even be a contributing factor to your opinion. The people earning overtime make up a sizeable population, and their purchasing power and prosperity impact us ALL.
edit on 12-11-2016 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
does anybody really work overtime anymore? I thought that obamacare pretty much wiped out full time employment of 40 hours a week.didn`t a lot of companies scale back work hours to 32 hours a week to sidestep some of the provisions of obamacare?

There is nothing to stop the states from making overtime pay laws, in fact many states already have them.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join