It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Win 10 Start up hijacked

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Hello everybody. My Win 10 (home premium) computer has been hijacked, specifically the start up splash screen, which has been replaced by one which conceals the regular splash screen. It is a copy of the regular one that opens immediately with the message that my password is incorrect and keeps reiterating itself on the subject.

This happened to me a long time ago when I was running XP and unfortunately I have forgotten how to deal with it. Web searches revealed nothing. I think this must be a new variety of fun for the new OS.

All help appreciated.

To the morons who perpetrate this sort of thing I have a suggestion for a much more fulfilling activity. Move up to masturbation.

This would be a huge inconvenience if I weren't like thousands of geeks everywhere who have piles of computers in their rooms. I still want to fix it though!
edit on 22-10-2016 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

My Windows 10 is on a new computer. Never had any other Windows like 7 or 8. It has a popup saying Windows 10 is not compatible with this computer lol.

I know how you must feel!

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
If memory serves, the fix in my case is going to be something along the lines of take the hard drive out of the computer, connect it to a second computer and delete certain files.

I was hoping that someone might have a little more concrete info on the subject.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Jdennis10`

Do you have an Apple computer?

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Did you just upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary ?

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

I have a Dell with Windows 10 but yes I have a Mac that works fine. I am upset with Windows. I always have problems. Hoping the best for you. I am sorry I can't help you. I need help myself.

I am happy you posted this thread! Thank you.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
If you can - by default for windows 10 you can use the Administrator account to login and change user credentials.
At the login screen when you go to power options for shut down, reset , ect, Hold the Shift button prior too clicking "reset" on the screen .. should boot up with a gui option(s) before it loads windows 10 .

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

My win 10 kept showing the start up screen and wouldn't turn off or on. The startup screen kept showing up immediately but the mouse would not work. I unplugged for a while and and it started up normally finally.

I assume you have tried that since it is basic an i know little about computers.

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Yes..pickup an SATA cord/w ribbon pin connector(cheap) and just disconnect your hard drive..

Plug the SATA into it and usb it into another computer to "read" your files in it. Transfer all your files, games, pictures, documents, videos...into the 2nd computer (Ive gone to an external drive to save)

Dont transfer WINDOWS files...just your stuff. Then you can either roll back/restore to an earlier date when things were good or re-install Windows. When done...put back a few files to see if they went in successfully and can be read.

Good luck! Best.........MS

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

If that sort of thing happened to me, I'd go through the ususal anti-malware steps.

Get some bootable AV scanners (either CD images or flash drive images) downloaded from a reputable site (there are some on bleepingcomputer.com) using another PC and make up the boot drives.

Then boot on them and run the scans. Chances are, they'll find and remove the problem.

Also, look at this thread which might help: www.bleepingcomputer.com... -login-screen/

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
My Win7 still runs fine and is up to date...

I knew it would be better to wait for another Win after Win10, that obvisiously is made for spyPhones and Tablets, but not really for real computers.
I know a lot of people that didn´t want Win10, didn´t take care enough of the WinX updates and suddenly had Win10 on their computer. These are now the people that have the most problems, for example with gaming.
But the worst with Win10 is that it turns your computer in a Televisor, a spying station, if you don´t take lots of countermeasures, again and again.
On Win7 you just have to check the updates before installing them. If it is Win10ish spy stuff that should be installed, just don´t install it.

I rather wait for the next real computer OS of Win.
Like millions upon miilions of users worldwide too.
And it doens´t feel as if this is wrong.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Yes, those upgrades were installed.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Yes, those upgrades were installed.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Y3K89

In my case I have no access to the normal start up splash screen and its functionality.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger,

Thanks. I think there is a way to handle this problem without transferring files or reinstalling. I will have to disconnect the hard drive and connect it to another computer, then get into it and find the appropriate files to delete. I think one of them will be the fake splash screen.

Another possibility might be to revert to a start up without password, if that can be set up from the other computer. I tend to doubt that option is possible, since it is done through the "Run" function, which would be on the other computer.

I might look on the web for solutions for XP to see if they are applicable, or suggest clues that help with Win 10.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Thanks, I'll look into that.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Thanks, I'll look into that.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
My windows 10 keep booting up normally and I never have had an issue, because I know how to use it

I wish I could be like everyone else and complain...

cest la vie

he he he

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Did you sync windows with your email ? I had the same thing happen going to Anniversary edition. For some reason windows associated the user id with my email address instead of my original windows account name. All I had to do was use my email password to get back in

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Friend...that IS what I TOLD you to do!?!?

You: "Thanks. I think there is a way to handle this problem without transferring files or reinstalling. I will have to disconnect the hard drive and connect it to another computer, then get into it and find the appropriate files to delete. I think one of them will be the fake splash screen."

Me: "Yes..pickup an SATA cord/w ribbon pin connector(cheap) and just disconnect your hard drive... plug the SATA into it and usb it into another computer to "read" your files in it."

top topics

<<   2 >>

join