It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate Change: Is Carbon Dioxide the Culprit? No, It's CERN?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Strangly metric engineering at face value seems sensible and intuitive to me.

I tell ya if id onlybstayed in school and did the physics or engineering route. Id be alright at it.
Im sorta like a semi inept at math good will hunting kinda guy.

But alas, i enjoy working with my hands best and dream of a botanical conservatory or specialized nursery one day. However, landscaping gives me hours alone to ponder the mysteries of the universe.

Question for ya. Knowing my basic education level and general history combined with my peculiar interests in the subject matter, any courses other than physics 101, you can recommend i should look into at the local community college or online to better my knowledge set. Im pretty good at convincing professors with pleas of sincerity to let me sit in on classes and lectures on occasion even though ive not taken the prerequisite courses. I learn real quick and generally "get it" do i really have to start at the very bottom if im just interested in casual education on the subject from a purely fascinated standpoint and not looking to pass the course for a degree.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

It sort of depends. Physics at any level is good, but if you want an idea of the pain you'll face, do some control engineering. Non-linear optics is also good.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

The 'standard' today is to think of processing in terms of digital logic.

And that works great, I've seen them use DSP techniques to control really non-linear transfer functions, including the ones that vary with lots of external variables. Still, the "greats" were able to do this # with tubes. Mostly. And I have to bow to their expertise.

I just shake my head at some of the old school control systems. I can figure it out, but those guys were masters.

ps - I got a job interview with NSA/SCS first, then a couple of other guys, and they all had a come-on. "I suppose you may be wondering where (x) came from. And how (other things) were discovered. If you want to know the REAL story, you'll sign with us". More or less. And if you sign up with the right guys, you will get the rest of it.

I turned SCS down. (well, the old lady made it clear I'd be facing a divorce RIGHT NOW, and father in law, that was that) but later, yeah, it was really different. Take the offer. Seriously.

PPS - if you ever go to the wellness center and there's a big pirate looking guy named Ted Parker that growls a lot, he's a spook, worth knowing him for more than just community talk and how do to a roux properly.

edit on 28-10-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

That's the whole point. It can be done with either approach, and each approach has strengths and weaknesses.

I try my best to stay away from the wellness center (wherever it is now... I think everything got moved out of the UC) mainly because the last time I went, they wanted to put needles in me. Redneck no like needles. Rusty knives, bullets I can deal with. No like needles.

But I'll keep my eyes open for him.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Thanks sir ill start looking into both and start exploring the amazing world of non linear optics (already something im sorta into as youre aware with my non linear medium babble)
Control engineering will be a new one for me.

Thanks again sir!

-Dave
edit on 28-10-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Hey whats SCS stand fir in thisinstance?

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I know you didn't ask me, but...

It's never too late to go back to school. I went back in my 50s. And you don't need to worry about a degree to get a degree. I got mine because I wanted to know as much as I could about what I was already doing. I knew there were things I was missing... just didn't realize how much I was missing!

Get into a community college physics or engineering program. Just take a single course, one of the Mickey-Mouse ones. Then another. Then another. Start taking the classes you really wanted then. Work at your own pace. Just keep moving. You'll be gaining knowledge you didn't know you were lacking. The next thing you know, you'll have that piece of paper, but more importantly, the knowledge it represents. If your state has something like Alabama, the community colleges have agreements with the Universities to slide you right into the big school when you finish the little one.

A degree is not just an egotistical showcase... it's a verification of a goal achieved. People with degrees don't hang them on the wall to show off... they hang them there to remind them they can do what they put their mind to. That's why mine hangs on the wall in my little shop, so when I start beating my head against the desk because the equations aren't working like I want them to, I just glance up and there's this reminder that yes, I can do this.

There's also no reason you have to stick strictly to the curriculum. If you want to take additional courses, go for it! That's the beauty of college; you set your path. I slowed down to one class per semester after my Bachelors... just because I felt I needed to concentrate harder on the grad classes.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

Hey whats SCS stand fir in thisinstance?

There's a seldom heard song "Rice and Beans" that was done by the guys that used to be in 7th, loosely based on 'Goober Peas', based on sitting behind the scenes eating plain South American grub whilst spying on the locals. Sometimes while up a pole dressed up as a phone lineman smiling and waving while installing bugs. Or as a power lineman. Or a doctor.

Goodness, how delicious, eating rice and beans!
edit on 28-10-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Hey thanks Red.

I feel like although im bright it may be hopelesd for me to actually get a degree. Or at least for a long time.

I studied music in college. My life tooka turn when i was in my 20s and ive been basically a street urchin surviving on wits. Bouncing from one gig to another. Did session work on the bass in my 20s. Didnt like the entertainment industry as a whole. Got out n just played for my self. Bounced around from different job to different jobs. None that i liked. Lost belief in myself and confidence and then started to take lowely jobs. (All iknow how to do is play the bass, garden and beat people up)

These days im in survival mode and can barely feed myself or keep a roof over my head. If i stop working for one day my ass is on the streets literally. And ive lived on the streets twice. In winter. In boston. Im destitute and cant afford school. My credits awful. Thats why i was asking about simple courses i can take. The idea of going back full time or at night seems so far away from my current reality. Thats why i say im like a good will hunting. Doing physical labor mopping a floor while pondering. I do have an insatiable curiosity and love solving puzzles that interest me as bedlam can attest

Thats why i relish talking to folks like you and bedlam. It inspires me to be something more than i am. With friends like you guys to keep me motivated maybe one day i too can say ive accomplished something before i die.

Thank you for giving me something to think about and an assemblance of meager hope for myself.
edit on 28-10-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss

originally posted by: MamaJ
Federal University of Technology in Nigeria.

Many Nobel Prize winners from Nigeria U!
Hahahah!

He's African therefore dumb huh. I knew this would be a factor when looking at this man theory. Im sure he would be taken more seriously if he was from European decent. Did you know their is only a little for then 100 colleges across the world that have nobel prize winners?

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I feel like although im bright it may be hopelesd for me to actually get a degree.

Hey, I'm a redneck. You think YOU'RE hopeless?

If I can do it, anyone can do it. You're not gonna let a dumb old countrified redneck outdo you, are you?

As for time, yeah, I've heard the excuse: "I'll be 856 years old in four years when I finish." My response is always: "How old will you be in four years f you don't go?"

No excuses work with me. Just do it.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I like ya redneck. I could use more friends like you to talk some sense into me and keeping me motivated. I like your approach too. Just move forward and tackle one cpurse at a time at a pace i can.

Thanks again.

Dave

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Redneck and Bass: All that sweet talk and encouragement and not a single star. I did it for you.
Such a nice exchange.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Hey, I'm always one PM away.

a reply to: angeldoll

Thank you!

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Thank you. Ill remember that. ☺

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Thank you also angel!!!

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jahari

Hahahah!

He's African therefore dumb huh. I knew this would be a factor when looking at this man theory.

I'm afraid that you are projecting. My comment was strictly relating to the quality of 'Nigeria U'.
All the rest of that ugliness, is yours.

Im sure he would be taken more seriously if he was from European decent. Did you know their is only a little for then 100 colleges across the world that have nobel prize winners?

Didja read the new science article about there being more CO2 than ever? About the geometric progression?
The evidence relating to the CO2 keeps mounting.
There are bound to be 'crackpots' and 'visionaries' who will be the spikes on the chart.
Time will tell who is what.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   

He's African therefore dumb huh.

No, he's dumb because his theories are tripe. And he should know better.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Hey bedlam. Ive been rereading and thinking about your advice as to what i should study.

Metric engineering....using non linear optics methodology....maintained via control engineering.

Thank you again for your advice. Of which i will earnestly heed.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Hahahah!

He's African therefore dumb huh. I knew this would be a factor when looking at this man theory. Im sure he would be taken more seriously if he was from European decent. Did you know their is only a little for then 100 colleges across the world that have nobel prize winners?

The thoery isn't wrong because of the colour of his skin, nationality, relgion, favourite football team or what his favourite colour is.

The theory is wrong as it makes exraordinary claims with no evidence to back them up and uses made up physical terminology.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join