It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinion Please. Thank You

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Thank You, a much appreciated reply.
The thing is I am bottom rank with a far superior degree than my managers.
My credentials since I moved "home" have been ignored, all though the requirements from abroad are much more severe and logical than in the US.
I have "crossed swords" many times and will all ways put health and safety in the for front. No matter the consequence for me.

Food service here is "the bottom line" for people . Where I come from this trade are highly educated in all aspects.

For another rant.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
By the sounds of it, it is a Carbuncle and they are contagious in the infection, while Carbuncles could also be caused by something more deep seated.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
If I reported it I would never get a job again. Period. because I would be known as a whistle blower.
I am ashamed to say I don't have the guts.
Both of my managers approved her return. Probably due to the fact we are very short of staff. No one stays more than three weeks.

In the past ten years I have worked here, not just at this place, I have seen things that would blow your minds, in places where people pay good money to enjoy a meal.
Not to speak of the insidious waste of produce and time. I specialized in waste reduction but it doesn't ring a bell in the ears of the ever so industrious entrepreneurs. (Very sarcastic.)

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
No I truly regret that remark.

I succumbed to "scape goating" and I was grateful FamCore called me on it.
a reply to: tadaman
Nice to meet you. You are very forgiving.

Am I going off topic in my own thread?

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy
See this I know, but why would both my managers give her green light to work.
I am baffled.
I am unsure of the multitude of infections that could be transferred but I know it was unsafe.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: WalkInSilence

Never be afraid to stand for the truth - if it were me, I would send an "anonymous" email to someone outside of your chain (Note: Think extremely high up).

Cysts are not fun, but if I had one that size I would not be anywhere near something that someone will be eating or putting close to themselves.

I look at it this way: you can either claim ignorance is bliss, or do something right and report it regardless of what may happen. I'd also leave, saying that seeing as they obviously don't care about the health of their customers that it's not worth it to be there. There's other jobs who would gladly hire someone that cares about their customers (think mom/pop places).

-fossilera

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Gah - Darn Wifi cut out in the middle of posting. Double Post.
edit on 18/10/2016 by fossilera because:

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: WalkInSilence Glad there are people like you still in the food business.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Approach her, covered in towels and with a pin!

Then buy the "company men" a gift to appease them - some custard tarts, for example. Don't forget to wink at each one of them as you hand out your gifts.

edit on 18/10/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   

You did the right thing!
That sounds sooo gross! I can't believe that
management would risk their reputation like that!
I giggled the first time I saw a guy wearing a hairnet on his beard! What about really hairy arms?
Surely, an infection is much worse than a hair! Something is wrong anyway if people don't stay longer than three weeks!

Waste is one of my big peeves! I'll never forget when I found out how much waste really goes on!
We were on a trip & stopped in a nice restaurant. They brought out a HUGE basket of all kinds of homemade breads & sat it on our table. They didn't even ask if we wanted it. I don't think either of us even ate a single breadstick, we didn't want to get full before the main course!

Later, when the waitress was clearing the table, she asked us if we wanted anymore bread, then she took the basket away. I had a clear view of the doors to the kitchen. Just inside the doors was a big garbage can. She held the basket upside down over the trashcan & dumped it all
in the garbage!!! I almost had a heart attack!!!
I would have loved to have taken it home! I never thought about what they did with it & customers coughing or sneezing on it! What a waste! We could have eaten it for days, there was so much!

That was my rude awakening to the world of food waste!!! And it makes me sad to this day!

You should look for a place that appreciates your training & experience!

WOQ

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   

It sounds like miscommunication between you and your manager. You overruled him/her. Me, I really don't mind doing dishes. I'm pretty resourceful about it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would have recommended you to discuss her sich with your manager better.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Health inspector here. The cysts are most likely staph infections. This person should not be at work. Call the local health jurisdiction. Sadly the lack of sick pay makes people inclined to work while sick.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   

I would have made the same call, and I would have made that call if the person was handling mere packages of food. I would have had big questions about letting them do the dishes to be quite honest.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: fossilera

There's other jobs who would gladly hire someone that cares about their customers (think mom/pop places).

This is a small place.
It the size doesn't matter. I worked happily in a retirement home type facility and was appalled by the negligence surrounding "shelf life"'
Example.
Fish have a very short shelf life after preparation unless frozen.
Our head cook would grind cooked fish for the feeble residence on the day we served fish for the ordinary residence, and save it for the next week so she wouldn't have to have the trouble of making it fresh.
She forced us to use it. I refused. It was rotten. I told her it could cause food poisoning especially in people of poor health. She just became aggressive.
I brought it to the attention of my manager among other irregularities, backing my concern up with documentation from a government source.
Hell began. I was put on silent treatment for months.

thank you for your input.

edit on 19-10-2016 by WalkInSilence because: Blaa

edit on 19-10-2016 by WalkInSilence because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-10-2016 by WalkInSilence because: Bah Humbug

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I would have had big questions about letting them do the dishes to be quite honest.

Thanks for the reply True.
I didn't let her do dishes or touch any thing that wouldn't be heated. Nor serve customers.
That was why I was reprimanded.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

The cysts are most likely staph infections..... Sadly the lack of sick pay makes people inclined to work while sick.

Thanks for the reply.
That was my argument and yes you are on point concerning sick pay. This person had just been taken on and was homeless.
Poor thing.
So they could force her to do any thing. Bastards.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
You know what.... I have a disease- look through my threads and you can find all the details, or just google "hidradenitis suppurativa" and see for yourself- that causes cysts. ALL THE TIME. I went years without a diagnosis, just antibiotics and self wound care. Some of the attitudes here suck in regards to this woman. It's not because of a lack of hygiene, it just is. Doctors can't tell me what causes it, or how to effectively treat it. Though, I don't get them on my arms, and it typically manifests in places that aren't visible on me.

That being said, I wouldn't dare touch food with something like that exposed to things that others are eating. However, I did work in the restaurant business when I developed one on my face (not typical with HS). Went to the dr, he did his thing, antibiotics and a bandage and I was back to work.

My point is, yes, you should care about the patrons. Your sensitivity to cleanliness is wonderful, though in my experience, beyond what most food workers exhibit. But, you are coming across a bit jerky. And that's fine. I just know from experience that it may not be something that can be helped by the person that so irks you.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
That's so very nasty. I had an image from the movie Dead Alive while reading it. It's the dinner scene. I won't link it here because it's gross. Let's just say that you won't want custard after watching it lol. It also reminds me of something a friend told me about her time working in a potato chip factory. Employees were expected to stand at the line no matter what and not leave it. Well, she had a cold (with the usual leakage) and kept going off the line to blow her nose and wash her hands. The bosses wouldn't have that. They told her if she left again she'd be fired. They didn't care if her nose was running. So there she stood with her nose running all over and potato chips running under her on a belt while she dripped and sorted them out.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

I apologize if I failed to express my self in clear terms.
My rant is NOT aimed towards the employee who, to no fault of her own has this condition and on top of that is in dire need of employment.
My aim is towards negligent management, equally deplorable medical advice to the poor woman and a system that forces laborers to attend work,when ill, to their own demise.

None of these arguments improve the work environment and only lower productivity.

Thank you for your comment.

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Thank you for the reply Skid.

....... she had a cold ........and kept going off the line to blow her nose and wash her hands. The bosses wouldn't have that. They told her if she left again she'd be fired.

This depicts the core of the insanity I refer to in the OP.
A very good example and sadly it is not unique but the norm.
edit on 19-10-2016 by WalkInSilence because: phyf

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join