It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Palestinian Militants to Suspend Attacks: Looks to Israeli Response

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Palestinian militant groups have agreed to stop attacks as they get close to a formal deal with newly elected Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas. They will wait, according to a senior Palestinian spokesman, to see how Israel responds. The agreement came after Israeli promises to hold fire if the region remained calm.

story.news.yahoo.com
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Militant groups have agreed to suspend attacks as they near a formal truce deal with Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas and await Israel's response, a senior Palestinian official said Monday.

The militants' promise came after Israeli leaders said Sunday that Israel is ready to hold its fire if calm prevails, moving the two sides closer to ending four years of bloody conflict.

U.S. envoy William Burns, a senior State Department official, is to arrive in the region later this week for talks with Israeli and Palestinian leaders on the emerging cease-fire deal. Abbas is seeking Israeli guarantees that it will halt military operations, including arrest raids and targeted killings of militants.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Perhaps more importantly, Abbas seems to have an understanding with the two major groups he has not control over: Hamas and Islamic Jihad. They have agreed to political participation and Abbas will brief leaders of both groups on a regular basis. I think and I hope that both sides may sense that this is thier last chance it seems to try to forge a peace. Further efforts will most likely involve a large scale war with alot of bloodshed. Please don't screw it up!

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Sounds promising, the most promising since Oslo

But I cant help feeling its too good to be true. Hamas is largely controlled by Iran and we all know how that neck of the woods is fairing. Does Iran pull some strings kicking off the violence again thus keep all the Israeli's and some of the US interest on Palestine? It would be beneficial for Iran if things didnt rosy up there.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Iran may leave well enuf alone. Despite the rhetoric, they are worried about an attack. Isreal is one of the reasons that the U.S. is looking at iran. They can go into a sleepr mode and wait things out. If the US does go after Iran anyway, I have no doubt that they would turn things loose in Lebanon

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
My incredible psychic powers (TM) tell me that this will not result in peace in the middle east or even anything more than a temporary halt to the palestinian attacks.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
My incredible psychic powers (TM) tell me that this will not result in peace in the middle east or even anything more than a temporary halt to the palestinian attacks.

I hate to be cynical but I agree, how about a little side bet.....Two-Three weeks tops, before another attack?

The trouble with peace there is all it takes is one man with a gun or bomb to set it off. NOTHING is going to change till both sides are tired of the bloodshed

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Theres no doubting both sides are tired of the bloodshed. More importantly the Israeli and the Palestinian people are tired of it all. I think now that Abu Mazen is leading the Palestinians there is a huge chance at peace breaking out between both sides.

The pressure from the Americans on the Israelis must be more intense than ever. It would be a gigantic coup for Bush if it happend on his watch. Critics would be hard to knock a President's foreign policy who pulled off a lasting peace deal between the Israelis and Palestinians. It would knock a great deal of negativity off the Iraq war thats for sure. So its safe to say the Bush Administration is ramming the Israeli's through this.

I really hope this works.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
A lot of people really seem to think that Abbas is the key to peace.

www.dailyherald.com...

www.nj.com.../base/news-19/1105511605114630.xml

www.detnews.com...

Below is a sliglty different view of Abbas

lexisnexis.com

In my opinion, he may be the best chance for peace, but only because Israel is ready for peace. Abbas remarked in this article that kassam rocket attacks were useless, and indeed they have led to very few casualties. He makes a good point that appeals to the militants, while at the same time comforts the Israeli's, who are sick of worrying about the notoriously wild Kassams landing somewhere near them. Clever, and if this sort of maneuvering is indicative of his administration, I think he might have a chance.

I also worry about false-flag attacks made by militant settlers against their own people, these types of operations are hard to detect, and almost always have the desired result: An incursion with heavy armor into the Palestinian territories. That would likely start the cycle of violence over again. Let's see how well Sharon can withstrain the militant Jews, and let's see how well Abbas can withstrain the militant Palestinians. I for one remain cynical. The longest running conflict in human history probably won't end peacefully, if at all.

mod edit: shortened link with bbcode to preserve page format

[edit on 26-1-2005 by Spectre]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - The violent Islamic Hamas is prepared to suspend attacks if Israel stops targeting militants and agrees to release thousands of Palestinian prisoners, the top Hamas leader told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Hamas

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - The violent Islamic Hamas is prepared to suspend attacks if Israel stops targeting militants and agrees to release thousands of Palestinian prisoners, the top Hamas leader told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Hamas

Well Israel is not going to do that. Enough said I think.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Well they've released Palestinian prisoners before. I dont see why they wouldnt do that again

top topics

join